cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Purchase: Credit Cards vs. Personal Loans?

tag
RonDawg
Contributor

Re: Large Purchase: Credit Cards vs. Personal Loans?

@bs6054 wrote:

RonDawg wrote

Actually I did last year when I thought I was going to have to use it.. I had surgery and I was not sure how high the bill was going to run so I selected it and applied took about 20 seconds for them to come back and say I was approved with 14.5k and 9.25% interest rate.  I really do like US Bank they tend to take care of their customers.

Is that fixed rate?  The Northwestern site posted earlier has LOC at 7% but that is a variable rate.

I am not sure if you will find a LOC that has a fixed rate.  Mine is 9.25% that is as low as they go with US Bank but on their PLOC they only have 9.25 and 13.25 from what I can see they don't even review my account so it may be fair to say it is going to stay at 9.25% but one never knows. 

If your looking for a fixed rate loan its better to just get a closed end Personal loan that has a fixed rate besides they tend to be a lower interest rate then a LOC anyways.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 21 of 39
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

@tennisfan78 wrote:

@RonDawg wrote:

@tennisfan78 wrote:

Speaking of LOC, did you happen to apply for the USBank LOC?  I have been thinking about applying for it too.

Actually I did last year when I thought I was going to have to use it.. I had surgery and I was not sure how high the bill was going to run so I selected it and applied took about 20 seconds for them to come back and say I was approved with 14.5k and 9.25% interest rate.  I really do like US Bank they tend to take care of their customers.

Thats awesome. That is a pretty good LOC. Do you happen to remember if you applied online or at the local branch?

I have an expense of about $10,000 coming up, and I am thinking about my options between a personal loan and LOC. Even though the interest rate may be a bit higher, I am leaning more towards LOC. Hoping that I would get approved when i do apply!

Bump, incase Ron missed my post! Thanks

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 39
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Also check out Northrop Grumman Federal Credit Union.

They currently have a great BT offer:

• 4.99% fixed APR for life!
  • No balance transfer fee.

They also have a good cashback rewards credit card:

• 1.5% cashback on everything.
  • No foreign transaction fee.
  • It's a MasterCard!

https://www.ngfcu.us/loans/mastercard.aspx

NGFCU.png

Message 23 of 39
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

Is that fixed rate?  The Northwestern site posted earlier has LOC at 7% but that is a variable rate.

The 7% from Northwest Federal Credit Union is actually an unsecured loan, not a line of credit.

Message 24 of 39
RonDawg
Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

• It's a MasterCard!

NGFCU.png

Only a Credit Union lol

Actually I have a credit card that offered me -0- balance transfer for the life of the balance.  They only sent it out one time, now we only get 15 or 18 months on that -0- balance transfer.  I think they figured out they made a mistake the first time lol

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
Message 25 of 39
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

• It's a MasterCard!

NGFCU.png

I just love this forums Smiley HappySmiley Happy

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 26 of 39
RonDawg
Contributor

@tennisfan78 wrote:

@tennisfan78 wrote:

@RonDawg wrote:

@tennisfan78 wrote:

Speaking of LOC, did you happen to apply for the USBank LOC?  I have been thinking about applying for it too.

Thats awesome. That is a pretty good LOC. Do you happen to remember if you applied online or at the local branch?

I have an expense of about $10,000 coming up, and I am thinking about my options between a personal loan and LOC. Even though the interest rate may be a bit higher, I am leaning more towards LOC. Hoping that I would get approved when i do apply!

Bump, incase Ron missed my post! Thanks

Thanks

I did apply online.

I never have time to visit a branch I am way to busy.  I have found though that their personal bankers are very friendly and tend to go the extra mile for you.

Oh and I should also tell you that you do have a banking relationship with US Bank (checking) to get any of their LOCs.  You can open that up online as well.

Message 27 of 39
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

Thanks for the info Ron!

EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012

Message 28 of 39
RonDawg
Contributor

@tennisfan78 wrote:

Thanks for the info Ron!

No problem

https://www.usbank.com/loans-lines/unsecured/index.html

Message 29 of 39
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

@RonDawg wrote:

@tennisfan78 wrote:

Thanks for the info Ron!

No problem

https://www.usbank.com/loans-lines/unsecured/index.html

Thank you. I am waiting for an inquiry to fall off on EQ in a week and then go for it.

Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.