Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large transaction on new AMEX?

tag
howardroark
Established Member

Large transaction on new AMEX?

I was recently approved for a new Starwood Preferred Guest card from Amex. In order to get the 25k bonus, I would like to pay my auto insurance with the card. This would be ~ 60% of my CL in one transaction. Is that too large of a transaction for a new card?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Large transaction on new AMEX?

I wouldn't think so, only time i would be worried is if you were going to go over your CL

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 2 of 21
howardroark
Established Member

That is true, I was just thinking that it may shoot up my internal risk score a bit, or get me closer to a FR. 

Message 3 of 21
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Don't give it a second thought.  My hunch is they expect certain behaviors when a minimum spend is involved.  Hard to hold spending against you when they're dangling perks in front of you.

Message 4 of 21
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@jake619 wrote:

Don't give it a second thought.  My hunch is they expect certain behaviors when a minimum spend is involved.  Hard to hold spending against you when they're dangling perks in front of you.

the financial review is really over discussed, unless you are lying about your income you really don't have anything to worry about.... and they wouldn't have gave you a card if they didn't trust you at all.  just use it normally, don't charge over your credit line and make large payments towards the balance every month and you will be fine.

My father had been a AMEX customer since 1986, at times things were tough and he paid little on his credit cards and at times things were good and he charged large ammounts and PIF. There have been times when i'm sure he paid late but it i've seen him charge in excess of 75k a month when his annual reported income is only about double that and they have never even questioned him.  

he has been a customer of these for 26 years and never once has been asked to provide any financial documents or even been questioned about a charge, and the only people i have ever noticed were concerned about a financial review were ones that didn't report their income properly, if you do that you have nothing to worry about

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 5 of 21
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Wow@ryanbush!!!! I hope to be with Amex 26 years!

I made a $2000 purchase a few weeks after my 3xcli to $10,500. It's been a month... No FR yet... I also have paid about $700 of it! I think Amex is primarily concerned with how long it takes you to pay a big balance. I want to pay mine off with a few $500+ payments. Amex doesn't seem to be a lender that you want to pay just the minimum or barely more.
Good luck!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 21
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

@jake619 wrote:

the financial review is really over discussed, unless you are lying about your income you really don't have anything to worry about.... and they wouldn't have gave you a card if they didn't trust you at all.  just use it normally, don't charge over your credit line and make large payments towards the balance every month and you will be fine.

My father had been a AMEX customer since 1986, at times things were tough and he paid little on his credit cards and at times things were good and he charged large ammounts and PIF. There have been times when i'm sure he paid late but it i've seen him charge in excess of 75k a month when his annual reported income is only about double that and they have never even questioned him.  

he has been a customer of these for 26 years and never once has been asked to provide any financial documents or even been questioned about a charge, and the only people i have ever noticed were concerned about a financial review were ones that didn't report their income properly, if you do that you have nothing to worry about

I agree that it is over discussed here, the vast majority of Amex users have probably never heard of it, and aren't impacted by it, one of the unfortunate things about forums like this is that guesses/statistically insignificant stuff become gospel, repeated over and over and become one of the first thing that new users see  (Barclays AA being one other current one).

But as has been discussed in many other threads, it's not just the "guilty" who worry about, once selected for whatever reason it can be very inconvenient and hostile.  You are generalizing in the other direction, your father didn't have one so there is nothing to be concerned about.

But for the OP, one thing to keep in mind is that FRs are not free to Amex either (and I assume they are aware that people who pass might cancel anyway, so there is a cost there as well), so I would expect that, in general, they will only initiate FRs against people whose a) behavior seems suspect according to whatever algorithm they use, and b) shows enough potential for loss to be worried about.

In this case, assuming your auto insurance isn't in the hundreds of thousands(!), this is in Amex terms a small charge on a small CL, so I really wouldn't be concerned.

Message 7 of 21
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Wow@ryanbush!!!! I hope to be with Amex 26 years!

I made a $2000 purchase a few weeks after my 3xcli to $10,500. It's been a month... No FR yet... I also have paid about $700 of it! I think Amex is primarily concerned with how long it takes you to pay a big balance. I want to pay mine off with a few $500+ payments. Amex doesn't seem to be a lender that you want to pay just the minimum or barely more.
Good luck!

Yeah me too... I'm on one of his accounts, I just wish I could get the backdating... 

Message 8 of 21
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

@jake619 wrote:

I agree that it is over discussed here, the vast majority of Amex users have probably never heard of it, and aren't impacted by it, one of the unfortunate things about forums like this is that guesses/statistically insignificant stuff become gospel, repeated over and over and become one of the first thing that new users see  (Barclays AA being one other current one).

But as has been discussed in many other threads, it's not just the "guilty" who worry about, once selected for whatever reason it can be very inconvenient and hostile.  You are generalizing in the other direction, your father didn't have one so there is nothing to be concerned about.

But for the OP, one thing to keep in mind is that FRs are not free to Amex either (and I assume they are aware that people who pass might cancel anyway, so there is a cost there as well), so I would expect that, in general, they will only initiate FRs against people whose a) behavior seems suspect according to whatever algorithm they use, and b) shows enough potential for loss to be worried about.

In this case, assuming your auto insurance isn't in the hundreds of thousands(!), this is in Amex terms a small charge on a small CL, so I really wouldn't be concerned.

Lots of good information in this thread!

Message 9 of 21
chnceit
Valued Contributor

IMO just use it and pay if off or down. They want to see pattern and usage.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.