Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late Payment - Will it report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Late Payment - Will it report?

I was one day late paying my Victoria Secret Card. It was due yesterday and I paid it today. Somehow I completely forgot about paying that one. I usually pay them way in advance. Total oversight. Will they report to the credit bureau that I made a late payment by 1 day? My statement hasn't cut yet. Does comenity charge a late fee?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: Late Payment - Will it report?

I'm not 100% sure who the issuing bank is for the Victoria's Secret card, but I do know that about 2 times in the past 15+ years where I also missed my Cap1 card payments by only one day, Cap1 did not report the late payment -- they said it had to be 30 days late before they would report the late to the CRAs -- but I think it may possibly depend on the individual card issuer perhaps?  Best wishes & I truly hope that your card does not report a late seeing as it was only 1 day, I am rooting for you!  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I would imagine after being 30 days late not 1 day, thats what late charge fees are for. Even then sometimes there are grace periods but im sure someone here will clarfy more or better. I understand your feeling, when you are trying to always pay on time 1 misstep feels like end of the world but its not. Happens to the best of us Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 13
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was one day late paying my Victoria Secret Card. It was due yesterday and I paid it today. Somehow I completely forgot about paying that one. I usually pay them way in advance. Total oversight. Will they report to the credit bureau that I made a late payment by 1 day? My statement hasn't cut yet. Does comenity charge a late fee?

You might incur a late fee but it will not report to the credit bureaus. Late payments are reported when the payment is made 30 days after the due date.

Message 4 of 13
creditguy
Valued Contributor

No late will report on your CR until it is 30 days late and if this is your first late comenity may waive the late fee if you ask. Don't sweat it your not the first or last person who stressed out over a one day late.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your "due date" was yesterday, you'll be fine but will probably have to pay a late fee.  It will not hurt your credit.  It has to be 30 days or more from your "due date" to get hit on your credit.  They will probably not give you a normal cli for the next 6/12 months.  You could call and explain what happened and maybe not have to pay the late fee.  Good luck.  

Message 6 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

As others have said, unless it's actually 30 days, it should not report

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it DID somehow get reported (it won't) you could very easily contest it and get it removed as the minimum late that can be reported to the bureaus is 30 days, and if they reported you 30 days late for being 1 day late that would be inaccurate information easily removed via phone call or dispute.

Message 8 of 13
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

You are fine! It won't report for only a day!

Message 9 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If it DID somehow get reported (it won't) you could very easily contest it and get it removed as the minimum late that can be reported to the bureaus is 30 days, and if they reported you 30 days late for being 1 day late that would be inaccurate information easily removed via phone call or dispute.

Quite some time ago, someone posted here that while (most) issuers don't post until after 30 days, they could, as the meaning is "1-30 days late".  No idea is that is true though!

ETA:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/simon-credit-score-late-payment-1508.php

"Be aware that when it comes to the reporting of late payments on credit reports, a payment that's late by one to 30 days is considered '30 days late,' late by 31 to 60 days is considered '60 days late,' etc.," says FICO's Paperno in an e-mail. "As a result, any payment made up to 30 days late will be treated as a '30-day late' by the FICO score."

This may be old.   And also applies only IF it is reported, and the article confirms that most lenders won't.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.