cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late payment fee was charged even though I paid bill before due date? is it justified?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Late payment fee was charged even though I paid bill before due date? is it justified?

I have the Capital One SavorOne card and my payments always cover the full balance, are sent in the day before they're due... I made this payment on 1/1/22 and it was due before the end of the day on 1/2/22 1B9966C9-CF24-40BF-A0FB-8C50D7C26F46.jpeg

I'm able to see it also posted on 1/1 but then scrolling down through my transaction history I suddenly notice a "PAST DUE FEE" that was apparently charged on either 1/2 or 1/3 because both dates are shown depending on where I view the transaction from... 

BCAE141D-7583-4F85-8396-322532B404D8.png

even though they say the past due fee can be seen on the statement I went and checked both the previous and most recent statements but it was nowhere to be foundeven though they say the past due fee can be seen on the statement I went and checked both the previous and most recent statements but it was nowhere to be found

It wasn’t anywhere on the 1/2022 statement eitherIt wasn’t anywhere on the 1/2022 statement either

It doesn't look like I was charged any interest but it still I really just wanna know whether that fee is indeed justified or if its worth the effort to give Capital One a call... if I do call I'd like to be 100% sure that I'm in the right beforehand... if I'm wrong then hopefully someone here can explain to me why

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: Late payment fee was charged even though I paid bill before due date? is it justified?

I don't know for sure why you received the late fee but I will offer two bits of advice.  1.)  I'd recommend you pay well in advance, not the day before.  Several days, even a week before to be safe.  On that note, you may consider signing up for auto pay (in full) and not have to worry about it.  2.)  Definitely worth a call.  If you are a good customer in good standing with no prior late payments, especially if you've had this card for a while (and even if you haven't), a phone call will most likely result in a reversal of the late fee.  Give them a call for sure.    

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 2 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Late payment fee was charged even though I paid bill before due date? is it justified?

I  would give them a call and ask?

Message 3 of 13
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Cap 1 can possibly give you a pass on the late fee if you call and explain. I agree with a previous poster its good to pay well in advance of the due date.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 4 of 13
Lou-natic
Established Contributor

Never pay one day early like that especially if it is the weekend. Sunday doesn't count and the first was a Saturday and it was New Years to boot. Bad timing on your part to be honest. Havig said that call in and get it reversed should be easy enough. 

3/3/24
Message 5 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

This turned out to be the case after calling them, they told me there is nothing to worry about and that the fee has been reversed since before I even noticed it

Message 7 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This turned out to be the case after calling them, they told me there is nothing to worry about and that the fee has been reversed since before I even noticed it

That is great newsSmiley Happy

Message 8 of 13
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's excellent news! Smiley Happy

But in the future, I highly recommend what others have said--make your payments well in advance of their due date. I pay all my bills using BofA's bill pay, and *most* of them are reflected the same day BofA makes them, but you can't count on that. (To clarify: at the payee's end, they're acknowledged the same day the payment is made, but they don't *post* immediately.)

I'm not a fan of auto-pay, but I believe it has its place. In your case, setting up auto-pay at the credit card end may be a good idea going forward. That way if there's ever a hiccup, it's their fault, plain and simple. If you like, you can set that up just to make the minimum payment, then make your REAL payment using your bank's bill pay. If you do use auto-pay, always make sure that you follow through and verify that the funds were withdrawn from your bank and/or the payment was posted by the CC. Do that well ahead of the due date, so if there are any issues you'll have plenty of time to get it straightened out.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 9 of 13
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Aren't there a few banks that don't post payments on the weekend? Looks like this was a holiday that was ON the weekend... double whammy. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.