Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest SCAM -- Union Workers Credit Union -- BEWARE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Latest SCAM -- Union Workers Credit Union -- BEWARE

Just thought I'd mention to those looking to rebuild their credit: If you get a promo deal for a $10K CL Platinum VISA card from a "bank" called Union Worker's Credit Union, don't even THINK about it.

I just got a "sweet" offer from them for a GUARANTEED $10K credit line (take a look at my siggie for my not-quite-so-recent scores and YOU decide if I'd be offered a $10K Platinum card from a reliable CCC) if I only send in my "processing fee" of $37. Needless to say, it went into the shredder (even though the only REAL info it had on me was my name and address).

Sooooo .... for anyone thinking that it might be a card on a par with First Premier or Credit One, don't even consider it. A quick Google search (and common sense, I'd imagine) unearthed oodles of complaints ranging from "I never got a card but they took my $37" 6 months AFTER the payment was sent in to "It's only good on purchases from THEM" ... as always buyer (debtor) beware.

Just a PSA. Smiley Happy

Of course, if anyone DOES have one of these cards and its legit, and would like to correct me, please do!!
Message 1 of 145
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Re: Latest SCAM -- Union Workers Credit Union -- BEWARE

Yes, it is actually Union Workers Credit Services and they are a scam outfit. They have been discussed in this board before. The "card" offered is not a VISA, it is a $10K "non-revolving" line of credit good only for purchases through their site. Their own info is available here:

http://www.unionworkerscreditservices.com/Union%20Workers%20Credit%20Services%20faq.htm

They have been in trouble with the U.S. Postal Inspection Servce:

Government Actions
On May 27, 2005, a temporary Restraining Order was filed by the United States Postal Service. On July 18, 2005, a Settlement Agreement was reached between U.S. Postal Service and respondents Randall K. Walls, individually, and Union Workers Credit Services, Inc.

'This agreement is for settlement purposed only, and does not constitute any admission of the making of any false statements or violation of any law or regulation. Respondents expressly deny making any false statements or violating any law or regulation.'

'Respondents agree to refrain from making materially false representations in the future under any name or names, or through any corporate or other devise. Respondents agree that going forward any solicitations they mail or distribute in any form will explicitly state that the credit limit is for use only on making purchases from Respondents.'

'Respondents agree that all mail addressed to Union Workers Credit Services, Inc., or any other name used by Respondents in connection with their business, at 4108 Amon Carter Blvd., Suite 208, Fort worth, TX 76155-2655, that is currently being detained by the Postal Service pursuant to Federal Court Order shall be released to Respondents upon full execution of this Agreement and the lifting of the injunction by the Federal District Count.' 'Upon receipt of that mail containing $37.00 payment for purchase of a membership (as a result of initial Solicitations sent prior to the execution of this Agreement) Respondents shall return to sender the $37.00 payment with a letter in the form annexed hereto as Attachment A. Postage will be paid by Respondents.'

'Respondents agree to pay full refunds to any person who has paid monies to Respondents in connection with the subject promotions, and who has requested a refund either directly from Respondents, or through any consumer or government entity, including but not limited to the Better Business Bureau.'

I also understand the Postal Inspectors are still interested in their activities, as is the attorney general of TX and possible other states as well.

You can look here for others comments: 

http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchresults.asp?q1=ALL&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0&submit2=Search...

Message Edited by jmbfl on 11-13-2008 07:29 AM
Message 4 of 145
144 REPLIES 144
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Wonderin--it's funny you bring this up.  I was planning to search the board for info on these guys today.  My GF just got the same 10K CL offer with them in the mail.  I immediately noticed the catch (like you said): it can only be used for purchases from them.  I was wondering if this could possible work in the same way as Crown Jewelers.  If they actually REPORTED the 10K limit, it may not be a bad deal for $37 for anyone struggling with UTL.  However, from what you said you were able to dig up, this sounds like a pretty shady organization.

Message 2 of 145
Anonymous
Not applicable

@valley_man0505 wrote:

Wonderin--it's funny you bring this up. I was planning to search the board for info on these guys today. My GF just got the same 10K CL offer with them in the mail. I immediately noticed the catch (like you said): it can only be used for purchases from them. I was wondering if this could possible work in the same way as Crown Jewelers. If they actually REPORTED the 10K limit, it may not be a bad deal for $37 for anyone struggling with UTL. However, from what you said you were able to dig up, this sounds like a pretty shady organization.

The effects of reporting, I don't have any idea about -- frankly, it sounds as though they just cash your "processing fee" check and that's that. I haven't seen any reports of anyone actually having ANY credit with them -- to buy their products or anything.

I did go to a rip-off reporting site and there is 460 (yep, that would be FOUR-HUNDRED AND SIXTY) complaints against them for fraud. That's more than I've ever seen on CAs -- even the worst of the worst CA doesn't have over 400 complaints against them.

One of the complaints was that the phone number provided doesn't even work. That complaint dates back to '05. You'd figure that they'd fix a typo (giving them the benefit of the doubt) within 3 years if it was, indeed a typo. :/

What REALLY alerted me was the fact that **I** got one and DH didn't. Of course, his scores are way better than mine, but still, he still gets a few of the same crappy offers I do (First Premier, for example).

I just didn't want anyone to get ripped off. I figured if I, a person who's fixing THEIR credit, got one of these phoney-baloney offers, others did, too. Smiley Mad
Message 3 of 145
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Yes, it is actually Union Workers Credit Services and they are a scam outfit. They have been discussed in this board before. The "card" offered is not a VISA, it is a $10K "non-revolving" line of credit good only for purchases through their site. Their own info is available here:

http://www.unionworkerscreditservices.com/Union%20Workers%20Credit%20Services%20faq.htm

They have been in trouble with the U.S. Postal Inspection Servce:

Government Actions
On May 27, 2005, a temporary Restraining Order was filed by the United States Postal Service. On July 18, 2005, a Settlement Agreement was reached between U.S. Postal Service and respondents Randall K. Walls, individually, and Union Workers Credit Services, Inc.

'This agreement is for settlement purposed only, and does not constitute any admission of the making of any false statements or violation of any law or regulation. Respondents expressly deny making any false statements or violating any law or regulation.'

'Respondents agree to refrain from making materially false representations in the future under any name or names, or through any corporate or other devise. Respondents agree that going forward any solicitations they mail or distribute in any form will explicitly state that the credit limit is for use only on making purchases from Respondents.'

'Respondents agree that all mail addressed to Union Workers Credit Services, Inc., or any other name used by Respondents in connection with their business, at 4108 Amon Carter Blvd., Suite 208, Fort worth, TX 76155-2655, that is currently being detained by the Postal Service pursuant to Federal Court Order shall be released to Respondents upon full execution of this Agreement and the lifting of the injunction by the Federal District Count.' 'Upon receipt of that mail containing $37.00 payment for purchase of a membership (as a result of initial Solicitations sent prior to the execution of this Agreement) Respondents shall return to sender the $37.00 payment with a letter in the form annexed hereto as Attachment A. Postage will be paid by Respondents.'

'Respondents agree to pay full refunds to any person who has paid monies to Respondents in connection with the subject promotions, and who has requested a refund either directly from Respondents, or through any consumer or government entity, including but not limited to the Better Business Bureau.'

I also understand the Postal Inspectors are still interested in their activities, as is the attorney general of TX and possible other states as well.

You can look here for others comments: 

http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchresults.asp?q1=ALL&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0&submit2=Search...

Message Edited by jmbfl on 11-13-2008 07:29 AM
Message 4 of 145
Guardian
Valued Contributor

I have gotten a couple offers from them and I hate getting it because just looking at it, its useless and it just infuriates me. So I always shred but last time I wrote them and told them to stop sending me stuff or I WILL task our lawfirm to go after these bastards, they piss me off. Thanks for the heads up for everyone but yeah they are scammers and been at it for a while.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 5 of 145
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't say falling for this is for lack of common sense.  I belong to a union, and get things from them all the time.  On top of it, the woman that I work with (my boss) told me of two credit cards that she has from the issuers of OUR union. I showed her this and she said no absolutely not, take the MO to the bank and get it cashed, it's a fraud
Message 6 of 145
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

HSBC has a Union Plus card that appears to be pretty good. It seems to have much better CS, etc. than typical HSBC cards.

I'm just throwing this out there because this topic doesn't arise that much, and it's easy to confuse the various products when they're not often discussed.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 145
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand why a union would send me anything. I've been a manager for 20+ years, is this a trick to get me to unionize. Bahaha

I received one of these just the other day and shredded it. What a joke but I do feel sorry for the individuals that fall for it. I no longer have it but I believe the $37 was a membership fee and no guarantee of extension of credit.

Message 8 of 145
Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny you should mention them, I have their latest letter sitting on my shredder. I like the way they offer a 'PLATINUM CARD Membership' with no mention of Visa or Mastercard and no 'terms & conditions'. And it's the first time Ive 'ever seen an approval number with out-of-sequence comma's (0123,456,7890). Unfortunately, enough people get suckered into things like this to make it profitable for these bottom feeders to keep the scam up, Heck, they got me to read the darn letter.
Message 9 of 145
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

haulingthescoreup wrote:
HSBC has a Union Plus card that appears to be pretty good. It seems to have much better CS, etc. than typical HSBC cards.

I'm just throwing this out there because this topic doesn't arise that much, and it's easy to confuse the various products when they're not often discussed.

LOL -- Yup, that's my card.  (Union Plus Card MC thru AFT membership --  www.unionpluscard.com)

I rec'd the Union workers thing in the mail last year.  In fact, I think it just finally made it to the shredder yesterday.  (Yeah, I'm behind on my shredding, lol.)  I remember googling it and being scared! 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 10 of 145
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.