Leaked(?): New Combined Marriott/SPG Status Tiers

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Leaked(?): New Combined Marriott/SPG Status Tiers

Following is copied directly from churning reddit post found here: 

<mod edit: Sorry links to this site aren't allowed on myFICO>

Saw this on FT and haven't seen anyone mention it here yet. Know there was mention on here before of the Marriott and SPG programs merging in August, apparently there's more info:

"Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest will be combining into a single program in August. Here's what I know:

• All members will earn 10 points per dollar spent
  • There will be five status tiers:
    • Silver status at 10 nights
    • Gold status at 25 nights
    • Platinum status at 50 nights
    • Platinum Premier status at 75 nights
    • Ambassador program at 100 nights and $20,000 in spend
  • Free breakfast (unknown which status level) will be "expanded to 25 brands and resorts."

All credit goes to HHonors OUTSIDER on FT. Original post here: <mod edit: Sorry links to this site aren't allowed on myFICO>

Reason I added the question mark on the subject line is because there hasn't been any confirmation of sorts as of yet. Supposedly on the same FT thread there should be <mod edit: Sorry links to this site aren't allowed on myFICO>  about changes to the Marriott Rewards program so hopefully we'll officially see then.

Message 1 of 185
184 REPLIES 184
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Leaked(?): New Combined Marriott/SPG Status Tiers

So, if that works out to be true, essentially the current SPG Platinum will be the new Platinum, and the current Marriott Platinum will be the higher tier.  That will satisfy the current SPG Plats who won't suddenly find themselves Gold for being under 75 nights.  Hopefully the Platinum continues the same benefits and doesn't get watered down. 

The 10 points across the board has been scratching my head, though.  Currently only the flagship brands get that across the board and the middle/upper brands (plus Ritz-Carlton) get it on room rates.  So that would effectively double the rate for Residence Inn and Towneplace Suites, which I usually avoid for that very reason on revenue stays because there's usually a nearby Marriott (in which I mean the brand, i.e. Marriott Marquis Times Square) nearby for about the same price and I can usually make up for the minimal difference with snacks from the lounge.

Thanks for posting this; now we just need to find out what's going on with the cards and what possibilities exist for those of us who want to earn status through elite night credits and/or spend from our cards because we can't possibly actually stay 50-75 nights a year.

Message 2 of 185
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

More Rumored SPG/Marriott Information – Award Nights Becoming Dynamic & More

Earlier today we posted some rumors about the SPG/Marriott integration 

• Names of status levels above Platinum have not been confirmed. MR wants to differentiate status levels above platinum to ensure proper recognition and avoid confusion among front line staff. Working names are Platinum 50, Platinum 75 and Platinum 100
  • Instant recognition of status at all levels upon check-in, with arrival points, free HSI, food & beverage vouchers, and choice of other benefits depending on status level
  • Spend requirement for all levels above silver. If spending level not reached, but nights are, status is at appropriate level based on spend.
  • Gold and platinum 50 upgrades limited to preferred level, concierge floor, higher floors, corner rooms, or view rooms at resorts. (No suites!)
  • Guaranteed suite awards (4) per year for platinum 75 and above
  • Guaranteed lounge access only for levels platinum 75 and above
  • Free breakfast at resorts for platinum 75 and above
  • Guaranteed late check-out, 2:00pm for Gold, 3:00pm for Platinum 50, 4:00pm for Platinum 75, Plat 100; resort and conference hotels subject to availability.
  • Platinum guarantees: 48 room guarantee remains, others guarantees are gone (platinum arrival gift, bed type, room type, lounge access, ultimate reservation guarantee)
  • Lifetime status changes coming. If status level not obtained, lifetime status identified in system. New Lifetime Level above Platinum will be added in 2019! Benefits reduced to upgrade to preferred floor for LTG; upgrade, late check-out for LTP
  • Big changes coming to awards! Dynamic award pricing, points required for award night based on hotel room rates at time of booking. No black-out dates, no categories!
  • Apparently some of the above may end up on the cutting room floor due to IT issues and the deadline. I think the above is surely way to negative to be accurate. I personally don’t have an issue with dynamic award pricing, as long as it’s clear how much points are worth (e.g the Southwest model). What I don’t want to see is dynamic award pricing that is really just hotels still in categories but it gives Marriott the ability to devalue the program without notice (e.g Hilton/Delta model). If the above changes are true, expect significant kick back from both Marriott & SPG loyalty members. Personally I’m filing the above under highly speculative for now, but thought others would appreciate reading it regardless.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/more-rumored-spg-marriott-information-award-nights-becoming-dynamic-m...

<Mod Edit:  Links to this website are not allowed>

Message 3 of 185
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: More Rumored SPG/Marriott Information – Award Nights Becoming Dynamic & More

Ugh, "dynamic award pricing." Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 185
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: More Rumored SPG/Marriott Information – Award Nights Becoming Dynamic & More

That sounds like revenue-based pricing to me.  The points-based system is why I'm loving Marriott currently.  Sure, I'll spend 45,000 points a night for a $1200/night room but not for a $200-300/night room!  If the value's not there and they water down the current Gold/Plat perks, there's not much incentive for loyalty and I'd probably end up going the Amex Travel portal route.  I know these are rumors at this point, but Marriott, there are reasons many people throw spend on the Marriott and Starwood cards!

Message 5 of 185
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

A784DB6E-0E7C-4154-8759-FEE0FEAA012F.jpeg

Message 6 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh, I've gotten so spoiled getting Marriott lounge access just for having the Amex Platinum.  This ends up being a devaluation for the Amex Platinum AND Marriott if lounge access is restricted to the Platinum 75 level.  Perhaps the new "super premium" Amex card will give us access (oh joy, just what I've always wanted, to pay two high annual fees for something I used to be able to get with one...).

I'm also skeptical when it comes to dynamic pricing.  I avoid Hilton because their prices are stupidly unpredictable at times (I know there's value to be had, and I believe the new Aspire card is awfully tempting), but perhaps my real problem is with how low each point is worth individually.  It makes it difficult to rack up points with credit card spend alone (I don't pay for hotel stays with cash enough to get any points to speak of from stays).  However, Delta is my airline of choice, but I like a lot of things about their points program (no expiration and it's easier to accumulate Delta Skymiles than, say, AAdvantage miles).  That being said, every time I try to pick out a flight, I cringe while I wait to see how many miles it'll be.  Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised, and sometimes I am most definitely not.  I'm definitely going to miss the predictability that came with the Marriott pricing structure.  But here's hoping that certain redemptions will surprise us.

And any bets on how long it'll be before Hyatt announces it's going revenue-based?  I think at that point I'm just going to throw all of my hotel co-branded cards into a bonfire.

Message 7 of 185
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous exactly. I think my moaning about these rumors is spread out through at least 3 threads at this point, but a devaluation of Marriott Gold and revenue based redemptions has me really concerned. I mean the entire way I pay for everything is based on this gravy train of Marriott Gold and 3:1 transfers. And free breakfast alone has more than made up for my Platinum + AU fees the past couple of years.

Family getaways and vacations have to revolve around school schedules. We can’t just take a vacation in the middle of October. It’s February vacation week, Passover/Spring Break, Summer or the holidays. Period. Those are the times when I have been getting insane 7-8 cents per point hotel rooms. If this gets tied to a 0.7 to 1.0 cent revenue base, this completely changes everything and while I can still get great value for airfare from rewards there isn’t much of an option for hotels other than going the “whoever gives me the best value” route through a traveler portal like Amex or hotels.com. And with the abysmal earning rate that the Chase Marriott cards have, there’s not even much room to rack up points - really the only reason I don’t have the R-C card.
Message 8 of 185
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ugh, I've gotten so spoiled getting Marriott lounge access just for having the Amex Platinum.  This ends up being a devaluation for the Amex Platinum AND Marriott if lounge access is restricted to the Platinum 75 level.  Perhaps the new "super premium" Amex card will give us access (oh joy, just what I've always wanted, to pay two high annual fees for something I used to be able to get with one...).

I'm also skeptical when it comes to dynamic pricing.  I avoid Hilton because their prices are stupidly unpredictable at times (I know there's value to be had, and I believe the new Aspire card is awfully tempting), but perhaps my real problem is with how low each point is worth individually.  It makes it difficult to rack up points with credit card spend alone (I don't pay for hotel stays with cash enough to get any points to speak of from stays).  However, Delta is my airline of choice, but I like a lot of things about their points program (no expiration and it's easier to accumulate Delta Skymiles than, say, AAdvantage miles).  That being said, every time I try to pick out a flight, I cringe while I wait to see how many miles it'll be.  Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised, and sometimes I am most definitely not.  I'm definitely going to miss the predictability that came with the Marriott pricing structure.  But here's hoping that certain redemptions will surprise us.

And any bets on how long it'll be before Hyatt announces it's going revenue-based?  I think at that point I'm just going to throw all of my hotel co-branded cards into a bonfire.

Yea hotel cards are becoming less and less useful. I think its absurd they are making these changes on short notice like this. I have trips coming up. At least give us the rest of 2018, as it is I have a trip planned late august and if my status becomes worthless I will probably ditch marriott as my hotel provider on that trip. No incentive to stay there if loyalty doesn't matter. I can go to Hilton with my gold status or just stay with hyatt on paid stays. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 9 of 185
red259
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:
@Anonymousexactly. I think my moaning about these rumors is spread out through at least 3 threads at this point, but a devaluation of Marriott Gold and revenue based redemptions has me really concerned. I mean the entire way I pay for everything is based on this gravy train of Marriott Gold and 3:1 transfers. And free breakfast alone has more than made up for my Platinum + AU fees the past couple of years.

Family getaways and vacations have to revolve around school schedules. We can’t just take a vacation in the middle of October. It’s February vacation week, Passover/Spring Break, Summer or the holidays. Period. Those are the times when I have been getting insane 7-8 cents per point hotel rooms. If this gets tied to a 0.7 to 1.0 cent revenue base, this completely changes everything and while I can still get great value for airfare from rewards there isn’t much of an option for hotels other than going the “whoever gives me the best value” route through a traveler portal like Amex or hotels.com. And with the abysmal earning rate that the Chase Marriott cards have, there’s not even much room to rack up points - really the only reason I don’t have the R-C card.

yea if the points are based strictly on revenue I don't see the point anymore. I had a good run with marriott over the last 4 or 5 years, but maybe its time to move on. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 185
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.