Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaked(?): New Combined Marriott/SPG Status Tiers

tag
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Marriott & SPG News on Monday

From TPG: https://thepointsguy.com/news/marriott-properties-secret-loyalty-materials/

It seems the combined Marriott/SPG/Ritz is coming out.  Below is possibly the draft:

spgmarriott-merger.jpg

My guess is that.

1. The combined Marriott/SPG/Ritz is coming.  One program for all. 

2. Not much change with Ritz vs Marriott since they are already integrated.

3. A lot changes for the SPG, in particular the transfer partners.  I guess Marriott will retain some partners.

4. The reward levels should match up well. Gold vs Gold etc.

5. The 3:1 point ratio should stay until further change with the credit cards and full conversion.  Maybe half a year (or August?).

6. It remains to be seen how the redemption and reward nights will come out.  I guess most will follow the current Marriott program.

7. The Hotel + Miles programs likely stay.  SPG programs will just merge.

Also, I think this is a good time to apply for SPG personal and Marriott business cards.  Both may go away or have major changes.  Then card members will get options to agree to the new card terms, or just reject them and move on with the SUBs.  I do not think either Chase or AmEx would want to move card members from one bank to the other.  But this could still hapen that Ritz card members get moved to AmEx.  This is even better since you can close the old Ritz card and open the new Ritz card at AmEx, just like what happened with the Hilton move-over.

Message 21 of 185
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Marriott & SPG News on Monday

There’s a big event happening tomorrow and it will be on Facebook Live at 4:30 Eastern. To address some of your points (no pun intended!), it looks likely that there is a LOT of change in the Elite tiers which will not be good for those of us at the Gold level, or for those who will only qualify for the lower level of Platinum. Essentially Gold would be a stripped down version comparable to SPG Gold and the regular tier of Platinum would be comparable to SPG Platinum.

There is also a rumor of dynamic awards redemptions, which we can only assume means revenue based effectively killing all hopes of continuing to get 7-8 cpp on Starpoints when booking expensive Marriott rooms on peak nights with the current flat points.
Message 22 of 185
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

Re: Leaked(?): New Combined Marriott/SPG Status Tiers

Message 23 of 185
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Monday can’t come soon enough, indeed. In addition to the awards, transfers, Elite statuses and credit cards I’m wondering what’s going to happen with things like Crossover Rewards. I certainly have pending Delta reservations that I expected to get Starpoints from, as well as Hertz reservations where I’ve elected to get Starpoints.
Message 24 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they go to revenue based rewards I guess they will lose a lot of business. It would ruin the whole benefit of the program.
Message 25 of 185
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

I’m more concerned with what will become of this. What Platinum elite status will we receive? 

ACHIEVE PLATINUM ELITE STATUS*
Achieve Platinum Elite status when you spend $75,000 on purchases each account year.

Same for this too. 

GOLD ELITE STATUS*
Automatic Gold Elite status your first account year.

We've arranged to offer you Gold Elite status in The Ritz-Carlton Rewards your first account year, which brings you exclusive advantages including complimentary room upgrades, late checkouts and exclusive point bonuses.

Maintain your Gold Elite status by spending $10,000 on purchases your first account year and each account year thereafter. 
Message 26 of 185
Sanjo812
Contributor

I’m really curious about the event for tomorrow afternoon. I can’t miss it.

So far, I’ve booked most of my stays through Hilton this year, but just picked up the SPG Business Card and was looking to make the majority of my stays at Starwood properties. I’m paying cash for the majority of my stays and Hilton has been beating SPG on rates for the dates and cities I’m heading to. Earning points with Hilton to me doesn’t seem exciting based on the actual value of the points. I guess we’ll see what all the news is tomorrow.

Like some of the rest of you have been saying, it may just get to the point for the average person to just book where there is value for them. It’s going to be hard for me to choose a specific brand, but there are a lot of Starwood properties I like.
Eight Twelve Consulting
Message 27 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

At least the annual fee for my SPG card is due next month so I can cancel the card. I have low hope for tomorrow’s announcement and expect I won’t be keeping the card beyond next week. 

Message 28 of 185
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

Would be nice if there was a card that offered stock or bitcoin as a reward option. People would spend like crazy. lol 

Message 29 of 185
Kree
Established Contributor

Re: Marriott & SPG News on Monday

@BronzeTrader wrote:

From TPG: https://thepointsguy.com/news/marriott-properties-secret-loyalty-materials/

It seems the combined Marriott/SPG/Ritz is coming out.  Below is possibly the draft:

spgmarriott-merger.jpg

My guess is that.

1. The combined Marriott/SPG/Ritz is coming.  One program for all. 

2. Not much change with Ritz vs Marriott since they are already integrated.

3. A lot changes for the SPG, in particular the transfer partners.  I guess Marriott will retain some partners.

4. The reward levels should match up well. Gold vs Gold etc.

5. The 3:1 point ratio should stay until further change with the credit cards and full conversion.  Maybe half a year (or August?).

6. It remains to be seen how the redemption and reward nights will come out.  I guess most will follow the current Marriott program.

7. The Hotel + Miles programs likely stay.  SPG programs will just merge.

Also, I think this is a good time to apply for SPG personal and Marriott business cards.  Both may go away or have major changes.  Then card members will get options to agree to the new card terms, or just reject them and move on with the SUBs.  I do not think either Chase or AmEx would want to move card members from one bank to the other.  But this could still hapen that Ritz card members get moved to AmEx.  This is even better since you can close the old Ritz card and open the new Ritz card at AmEx, just like what happened with the Hilton move-over.

Got antsy about timelines and bonuses and rewards. Was going to wait until after the announcement to apply for a Marriott card, but ended up doing it this morning instead. Would have hated to hear about a new integrated card, and "effective immediately, no more old card apps" or something.

Message 30 of 185
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.