UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Leaked(?): New Combined Marriott/SPG Status Tiers

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

So tonight might be the last night of 25k/30k sign-up bonus on SPG card rumor on DOC from source says changing to 200$!!! I might have to pick up the personal one incognito for 30k already had the business bonus.  $200 is weak sauce

Hahaha, wow. Just looked it up and it's basically a BCE/BCP SUB with $1k spend getting that $200 credit.

Temptation is real to grab the 30k on personal by incognito mode as haven't got it yet.. Although think I have Amex RAT on my arse currently lol.. Risk/Reward hmm..I closed two Business Amex's a few weeks back and one was a nightmare to close!

I'm not even a connoisseur of hotel cards and I admit to having possibly tried a time or two to see if the incognito 30k offer would come up.  Smiley Surprised  Smiley Embarassed

I probably need to leave this one alone... I already have IHG points banked for a rainy day.  Smiley Indifferent

Edited to add:  The FOMO is strong with this one. 

LOL safari incognito works great for it, other browsers private mode not so much.. Strange.  Figure if you are runnning Mac you have more money lol?   Although some with Edge has said they had had success... Still sitting in my browser open Smiley Tongue

I was thinking to myself this would be an easy "pass" should I not get the 30k offer, then this happened:

spgOffer.png 

I got it using an incognito Chrome window, going through a VPN (Texas).  I used the same 'trick' for my PRG a couple of years ago and it went to review.  It turned out OK, but it took a couple of days and a phone call. 

Of course for me there's also the opportunity cost involved with shifting the spend to earn the bonus, which will come to around $100 in cash rewards.

Will have to think about this some more, especially since I won't have any immediate use for the points.  Smiley Sad

Message 71 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ended picking one of these SPG cards for my wife tonight.  30k offer.  Took a long time for the offer to come up.  Still have 1500 on a SUB to meet on another card. Once I finish that and the SPG are done I will see if the SPG business is still up and running. 

Message 72 of 185
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Still sitting in my browser open Smiley Tongue

Mine, too.  Bang-Head_zpsc10wcxkz.gif

Message 73 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking at the new SPG cards the personal and the business have the same fees and benefits but the SPG business has 4x restaurants, gas and wireless service.  Seems like the business card is the no-brainer. 

Message 74 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's odd, this came up in my normal browser as new. No need for incogneto.

Message 75 of 185
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I thought there would be more people going for the SPG tonight... so far the approvals board has been rather quite.  Smiley Surprised

Message 76 of 185
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Looking at the new SPG cards the personal and the business have the same fees and benefits but the SPG business has 4x restaurants, gas and wireless service.  Seems like the business card is the no-brainer. 

Does that remain 4 "New Marriott" points in the future? if so, you can transfer those to 4/3 of an airline mile, right? Smiley Wink

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 77 of 185
NRB525
Super Contributor

I am using my Marriott card to clean up 660 points, to turn it into 1,000 Marriott points to transfer as 333 SPG to get the next rounded up 10,000 SPG points and clean them all out to American Airlines.

Then I am likely going to close each card, the Marriott and SPG, to avoid the annual fees and hassle of those cards. I see there may be an upgrade bonus on the Chase card, but really not even sure that is worth it.

For hotel stays, either Altitude Reserve with For Sure 4.5% travel earnings, or CSR or CSP at regular redemption rates would be better than most of the hotel points. I'll still keep membership in the hotel loyalty programs. Have a bunch of Hilton points to spend, and the Hyatt points rock, but SPG/Marriott is not something I'm going to be working on in the future.

2 New Marriott points on regular spend on the SPG and Marriott is just pathetic. The program is geared to rewarding those who stay at the properties, which is fine, I'll work on other spend cards.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 78 of 185
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

Joining late to the conversation.. can someone summarize the decision made by Marriott?

More importantly, should I transfer my SPG points to Marriott or can I leave as is and they will convert 3:1 automatically?

One last question, would it be ideal to transfer to an airlines vs Marriott? I recently became a hotel employee and now a certain brand is very low, so hotel points are not as attractive.
Message 79 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lord_kinbote wrote:
Joining late to the conversation.. can someone summarize the decision made by Marriott?

More importantly, should I transfer my SPG points to Marriott or can I leave as is and they will convert 3:1 automatically?

One last question, would it be ideal to transfer to an airlines vs Marriott? I recently became a hotel employee and now a certain brand is very low, so hotel points are not as attractive.

Yes, they will automatically triple in August to the combined points if you don’t do it yourself before then.  As for which is a better transfer option, that’s entirely up to you based on your travel plans, both hotel and airline.

Message 80 of 185
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.