cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaked(?): New Combined Marriott/SPG Status Tiers

Valued Contributor

Re: Marriott & SPG News on Monday


@Kree wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

From TPG: https://thepointsguy.com/news/marriott-properties-secret-loyalty-materials/

 

It seems the combined Marriott/SPG/Ritz is coming out.  Below is possibly the draft:

 

spgmarriott-merger.jpg

 

My guess is that.

1. The combined Marriott/SPG/Ritz is coming.  One program for all. 

2. Not much change with Ritz vs Marriott since they are already integrated.

3. A lot changes for the SPG, in particular the transfer partners.  I guess Marriott will retain some partners.

4. The reward levels should match up well. Gold vs Gold etc.

5. The 3:1 point ratio should stay until further change with the credit cards and full conversion.  Maybe half a year (or August?).

6. It remains to be seen how the redemption and reward nights will come out.  I guess most will follow the current Marriott program.

7. The Hotel + Miles programs likely stay.  SPG programs will just merge.

 

Also, I think this is a good time to apply for SPG personal and Marriott business cards.  Both may go away or have major changes.  Then card members will get options to agree to the new card terms, or just reject them and move on with the SUBs.  I do not think either Chase or AmEx would want to move card members from one bank to the other.  But this could still hapen that Ritz card members get moved to AmEx.  This is even better since you can close the old Ritz card and open the new Ritz card at AmEx, just like what happened with the Hilton move-over.


Got antsy about timelines and bonuses and rewards. Was going to wait until after the announcement to apply for a Marriott card, but ended up doing it this morning instead. Would have hated to hear about a new integrated card, and "effective immediately, no more old card apps" or something.


What if they up the sign-up bonus today.  I will wait until the announcment at 4:30 today. If they are doing dynamic rewards I will skip their cards and just get something else.

BOA Premium Rewards, AMEX BCE, AMEX PRG, AMEX Ameriprise Platinum, AMEX SPG, CITI AADvantage Platinum, Chase Hyatt, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Southwest Plus, Chase Marriott Business, Barclay Arrival +, Barclay AAdvantage Red Aviator, Barclay Aviator Business, USAA Prefered Cash Rewards, Citi Thank You Premier, JCrew, Pottery Barn, Express, NFCU Go Rewards.

Former Cards: Lendup L Card, Bank of America Cash Rewards, Capital One Quicksilver
Message 31 of 185
Established Contributor

Re: Marriott & SPG News on Monday


@frogman1 What if they up the sign-up bonus today.  I will wait until the announcment at 4:30 today. If they are doing dynamic rewards I will skip their cards and just get something else.

 

That was my original thoughts too, but the 15 elite night credits a year is more important to me than any additional bonuses, unless they change the lifetime elite requirements. 

 

Message 32 of 185
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Marriott & SPG News on Monday

This is going to be a loooong 6 hours!

 

I'm taking a wait-and-see approach.  Starwood card is already renewed and I'm still actively working on hitting the 2nd of the "spend $10k and get 7500 bonus Starpoints" promotions.  Worst case, hopefully at least the current airline miles + 7 nights packages remain, and I'm dumping Starpoints into Marriott as quickly as possible in case the 3:1 ends.

 

One thing I do hope they announce is that the stays and nights from Starwood will be converted over to Marriott.


Message 33 of 185
Senior Contributor

Re: Marriott & SPG News on Monday

29127B33-B866-4EFC-88DA-004FC1B4E9D8.png

Message 34 of 185
Senior Contributor

Re: Marriott & SPG News on Monday

This must be the English version of the same document that was leaked earlier this month.

FICO 08 Scores (Jun-18): TU 795, EQ 797, EX 791

Message 35 of 185
Senior Contributor

Re: Marriott & SPG News on Monday


@simplynoir wrote:

This must be the English version of the same document that was leaked earlier this month.


   It reveals no new information about the loyalty program whatsoever and Yes  you are correct it’s just English version. 

Message 36 of 185
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Marriott & SPG News on Monday

Anyone else going to be really angry when the entire big presentation we're all waiting for in 3 hours is literally just the information on that sheet?  Smiley Surprised


Message 37 of 185
Regular Contributor

Re: Marriott & SPG News on Monday

I don't know. THere are so many programs out there to choose from. I'm don't travel for work so I can't rack up 40 nights in one year for a certain level. So, I back my way in via credit cards. But one has to ask themselves, what really do you get in return besides a cookie, free breakfast, and a cityview upgrade from a garden view? If I'm staying 40 nights at a particular chain in one year, then personally, I would need a little more. Free wi-fi doesn't even count as most people have personal hotspots. 

 

I mean are people getting a one week stay at a Marriott resort if they book 40 nights? 

 

It has been hard to quantify these rewards programs lately due to all the shifts that have been going on the past year with card issuers and hotel chains. 

Message 38 of 185
Established Contributor

Re: Marriott & SPG News on Monday


@adelphi_sky wrote:

I don't know. THere are so many programs out there to choose from. I'm don't travel for work so I can't rack up 40 nights in one year for a certain level. So, I back my way in via credit cards. But one has to ask themselves, what really do you get in return besides a cookie, free breakfast, and a cityview upgrade from a garden view? If I'm staying 40 nights at a particular chain in one year, then personally, I would need a little more. Free wi-fi doesn't even count as most people have personal hotspots. 

 

I mean are people getting a one week stay at a Marriott resort if they book 40 nights? 

 

It has been hard to quantify these rewards programs lately due to all the shifts that have been going on the past year with card issuers and hotel chains. 


 

The frequent business travelers usually don't care about a free cookie or a better view, either. The lounge access starts to become valuable quickly, particularly if the traveler is one to knock back alcohol daily. Internationally, the free wifi becomes very valuable - I have an international cell plan and even then I'm still paying $25 for every 100 MB of data when roaming. That adds up quick if I start using it as my mobile hotspot - so much as pulling Office updates over that could cost over $100. The reservations guarantee is also an immensely helpful benefit for those who travel a lot last-minute. These small benefits become more important to the frequent traveler because of that frequency - a casual CC traveler may be out a few breakfasts a year, but someone staying 50 nights is looking at almost two months out of every year in free breakfast.

 

 

Someone who stays 40 nights at a Marriott is (probably) going to earn enough points to stay a week at low-mid scale Marriott or 2-4 days at a higher end one. At an average of $175/night, a Gold staying 40 nights is getting 70,000 points for the stay, another 17,500 for their Gold bonus, and anywhere from 10,000 to 50,000 in various MegaBonus promotional points. That adds up to 100-150k points/year, not counting any supplemental sources of points such as CC spend. At $200/night and 50 nights (the current number of nights to achieve Gold), that jumps up to 150-200k points, which can put one in a cat 8/9 Marriott for 5 nights.

 

Message 39 of 185
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Marriott & SPG News on Monday


@iced wrote:

The frequent business travelers usually don't care about a free cookie or a better view, either. The lounge access starts to become valuable quickly, particularly if the traveler is one to knock back alcohol daily. Internationally, the free wifi becomes very valuable - I have an international cell plan and even then I'm still paying $25 for every 100 MB of data when roaming. That adds up quick if I start using it as my mobile hotspot - so much as pulling Office updates over that could cost over $100. The reservations guarantee is also an immensely helpful benefit for those who travel a lot last-minute. These small benefits become more important to the frequent traveler because of that frequency - a casual CC traveler may be out a few breakfasts a year, but someone staying 50 nights is looking at almost two months out of every year in free breakfast.

<snip>

 


Somewhat off-topic, but I do not miss those days.  Verizon TravelPass is free on my plan in Canada and Mexico, and $10/day almost everywhere else on the planet, and just uses my company's existing unlimited data, voice and text plan.  But I still prefer to just use the hotel's WiFi rather than my mobile hotspot.


Message 40 of 185