Did you mean: 

Learn from my mistakes...

tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Learn from my mistakes...

@UFGuy2006 wrote:
I shred those I don't intend to use...

So do I.  Or freeze it in a block of ice if you tend to have weak moments that pass in an hour.

I read a story analyzing people's spend patterns when using a credit card versus cold hard cash and it was very common for people to spend more with the credit card.  I doubt with $5k in hand, OP would spend it all on phones.

Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

that's weird, to me cash disappears faster than when i use credit cards. at least with credit cards I know what I bought and spent on, with cash.... i have no clue, it's as if they just disappeared into thin air.

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JoshNurse wrote:

The more cool cards you have the more you want to spend.

I bought 4 T-Mobile iPhone 6 Pluses.  One for my little sister, my parents and myself.  I am now $4300 in debt.

I thought it was cool to use my Chase Saphire Preffered to get my free points...

What is the best way to store and forget my cards?

I love when they say "Wow this card is heavy", "wow I have never seen a clear card" etc...

How do you like the phone?

Message 13 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

that's weird, to me cash disappears faster than when i use credit cards. at least with credit cards I know what I bought and spent on, with cash.... i have no clue, it's as if they just disappeared into thin air.

The studies (some of which are disputed for methodology) cite about 15% increase in spending with ccs, especially reward ones.   But to answer RedMiniStapler's point:  For smaller amounts of cash you might be right, but you are much less likely to have $4,500 in cash to pay at the register, many find that paying the cash makes it seem much more real.  In contrast, using a card, $45, $450, $4,500.... it's all sort of the same feel.  

Rewards make it worse, as it may have done here.   Yes, I'm paying a lot of money, but I'm getting all those lovely UR points back, so it's really pretty cheap....

Message 14 of 28
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@JoshNurse wrote:

The more cool cards you have the more you want to spend.

I bought 4 T-Mobile iPhone 6 Pluses.  One for my little sister, my parents and myself.  I am now $4300 in debt.

I thought it was cool to use my Chase Saphire Preffered to get my free points...

What is the best way to store and forget my cards?

I love when they say "Wow this card is heavy", "wow I have never seen a clear card" etc...

thanks for this post...i literally was about to go out and do the exact same thing. guess, i'll just have to buy some lame groceries and pay the mortgage instead; bleh!

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 15 of 28
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

For me i would put card in an place thats an pain in the butt to get to like an safe deposit box at the bank or something like that if you don't have willpower to not use the card. 

Speaking of pain in the butt and the iPhone 6+, remember not to sit on your $4,300 worth of new phones, or you will bend them! Smiley Very HappySmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley Very Happy

#Android

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 16 of 28
Firehorse
Frequent Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

For me i would put card in an place thats an pain in the butt to get to like an safe deposit box at the bank or something like that if you don't have willpower to not use the card. 

Speaking of pain in the butt and the iPhone 6+, remember not to sit on your $4,300 worth of new phones, or you will bend them! Smiley Very HappySmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley Very Happy

#Android

Yes! And whatever you do, don't put them in the microwave. LOL

Start MyFico: 01/04/2014: TU 572, EX 599, EQ 593, CK: 593, CKV: 596, CS: 626 Garden since 01/09/2015
Current MyFico 10/23/2015: TU 740, EX 784, EQ 739, CK/TU: 768, CK/EX: 782, CS: 785 Q: 702 1.5% UTIL & 6.9 yrs. AAoA, 1 PAID FTB Lien 8/2008

Message 17 of 28
jd352
Regular Contributor

Keeping CC's at home is really all that you may need to do. Not carrying them is the best way to not use them - unless you are an avid Internet shopper. Only carry around one card, that way you can better track your spending. After all, it is much easier to see one bill at the end of the month vs 5.

While what you did was very selfless, if you see being $4k in debt having a significant impact on your livlihood, your next action should probably be sitting down with your family, taking the phones back, and returning them to the store. If they are unwilling to part with them, see if they can pay you back for them. Yes, you will likely have to pay a restocking fee, yada yada, but it will be much less than what you paid for the phones and will get your out of most of the debt.

We do things sometimes when we get excited. How you react to those impulses to "fix what was done" is what is most important. 

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 18 of 28
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

A high powered paper shredder is the best place to store them

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I "sock drawer" my unused cards in a locked bank bag inside my home safe.  Only I have the combo to the safe and only my wife has the combo to the bank bag.  Rarely do we both have a "weak" moment at the same time.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.