Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learn from my mistakes...

tag
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

Re: Learn from my mistakes...

The iPhone 6 Plus is amazing..  all of my travel videos look awesome.  HD quality with no lag.

I feel this phone is for someone like me.  I love photgraphy and videos. I have traveled to so many places and have many gigabytes of photos and videos.

Its such an amazing phone and i dont hate on android.  I think the note 4 will also be nice but i personally prefer apple.

Message 21 of 28
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I "sock drawer" my unused cards in a locked bank bag inside my home safe.  Only I have the combo to the safe and only my wife has the combo to the bank bag.  Rarely do we both have a "weak" moment at the same time.

That's a good plan.  Yay for both of you!

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 22 of 28
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@JoshNurse wrote:

The iPhone 6 Plus is amazing..  all of my travel videos look awesome.  HD quality with no lag.

I feel this phone is for someone like me.  I love photgraphy and videos. I have traveled to so many places and have many gigabytes of photos and videos.

Its such an amazing phone and i dont hate on android.  I think the note 4 will also be nice but i personally prefer apple.

If you wanted a phone with good video quality and for photography, go for the Nokia Lumia 1020. It has a 41 MP camera! Smiley Surprised

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 23 of 28
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

@JoshNurse wrote:

If you wanted a phone with good video quality and for photography, go for the Nokia Lumia 1020. It has a 41 MP camera! Smiley Surprised

But then you would have problem of having no apps lol 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 24 of 28
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

The only pictures I take with my phones are food pics and selfies.  My professional pictures are taken with my Canon Black EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera.

I just import them to my iphone 6 plus and I will tell people I took the pictures with the phone if they ask lol

Message 25 of 28
yfan
Valued Contributor

We all want shiny things, and the plastic makes those easy to get, but up front only. Whenever I make any major purchase that isn't a necessity - major being $500+ - I do mental math on what I could do to make that money back in savings, not counting rewards. For example, if I spend $600 on a phone, it could be made up by

• Selling my old phone in good condition = $200
  • Saving money by using a cheaper plan ... I use a $30 a month plan that comes with lots of data but not that many minutes. Though most people can't use this plan, there are things you can do to trim your phone bill. Assuming my bill for a standard plan would be somewhere around $70, that saves me $400 in 10 months, in which time I do NOT buy another shiny toy!

There are other things I could do to take care of this if that weren't enough, like eat out less, go to movies less often, or cutting the length of my next vacation or travel to a location where the airfare is lower than previously planned. Here's an easy one for those of you who work relatively close to where you live (say within 10 mile). If you bike to work twice a week for a year instead of driving, you can save about $250 in gas expenses alone (assuming 10 mile ride each way, $3.50/gal average gas price and an average of 30 MPG). If you live far from work, look into public transit, that might save you even more.

If at the end of the day, there aren't enough things I can cut or substitute to make up for the luxury item, then I don't buy it. That simple.

Message 26 of 28
HiLine
Blogger

@JoshNurse wrote:

The more cool cards you have the more you want to spend.

I bought 4 T-Mobile iPhone 6 Pluses.  One for my little sister, my parents and myself.  I am now $4300 in debt.

I thought it was cool to use my Chase Saphire Preffered to get my free points...

What is the best way to store and forget my cards?

I love when they say "Wow this card is heavy", "wow I have never seen a clear card" etc...

I'm sure you were just being sarcastic about this. But I think there is truth in saying that well-designed cards are designed as such to induce people to spend more. The same goes for cards that offer attractive rewards. This happens subconciously; even if you think you would have made the purchases anyway, the psychology impact of having such cards happens when you're planning your budget, so you are not aware of it. Just my 2% of $1. 

Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Food pics and selfies?  You are the worst type of person.  Smiley Wink

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.