Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's be honest with AMEX.

tag
plasticcards
New Contributor

Let's be honest with AMEX.

Amex Platinum... Ive been traveling the past months so having this card is great. However i will be done travelling in January and then maybe once or twice a year If that I will be travelling. So my dilemma should I keep my card and renew it when the time comes? I kinda wanna keep it for the status of the platinum card to be honest. Is that stupid? 

Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55
blondy250
Established Contributor

Re: Let's be honest with AMEX.

Amex plat holder here. If your not using it it enough to justify the annual fee, then covert it to the green card ( you can always go back) As per the status don't see it impressing anyone outside of the Denny's, Walmart crowd (no offense intended)
Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 2 of 56
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@plasticcards wrote:

Amex Platinum... Ive been traveling the past months so having this card is great. However i will be done travelling in January and then maybe once or twice a year If that I will be travelling. So my dilemma should I keep my card and renew it when the time comes? I kinda wanna keep it for the status of the platinum card to be honest. Is that stupid? 

I definitely don't think it is stupid at all.  It is what you want it to be if you like the status that goes with the card and don't mind paying the AF then keep it but if you feel that the AF is to high to justify keeping it then you can just think about just downgrading to the PRG which in my opinion is not much of a downgrade because I think it is a pretty good card. 

Message 3 of 56
n777ua
Established Contributor

Given the fact that most cashiers don't know a CapOne plat from an Amex plat, if thats the only reason you want it - well its your money.

If you've been using all the benefits (concierge, $200 airline credit, etc) then $495 really isn't too bad.  Of course, you need to decide.  The credit underwriting standards are exaclty the same for Green vs Plat, so if you'd be keeping it in hopes of getting a higher spend profile, that wouldn't work.

I got the Plat a few years ago just for the sake of it, but I was traveling quite a bit.  When I stopped traveling, I downgraded to the Green.  If I start traveling quite a bit again, I'll probably go back to the Plat.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 4 of 56
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

If it makes you happy and you don't mind the cost it's not stupid, most have done a lot worse in their life.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 56
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@plasticcards wrote:

is not stupid..its really up to what you want. I for one dont mind paying high AF for elite status cards with great rewards. I have the AAdvantage Elite World MC with a 400 AF and the United Club with a 450 fee (i think). I travel about 5 times a year so im sure that doesnt justify the rewards and AF but i sure love using their lounges when i do travel and always tell myself at the moment it is worth the ridiculous AF...Smiley LOL Im sure others may think i am crazy for paying 800 dollars a year to have 2 cards but like you said, i wanna keep the elite status of both cards.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 6 of 56
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

You could apply separately for the PRG and get a bonus and have no annual fee for the first year, so I would not PC to the PRG.  I would separately apply and then cancel the Platinum card if that is your strategy.  If you have a specific reason to be extra inquiry sensitive, e.g., an upcoming mortgage app, then maybe you want to PC.

It's just a piece of plastic.  It has some nice benefits, but I don't think it is worth paying for for any perceived prestige.  I carry the card myself.  I've called to cancel it before when my travel decreased.  I kept it due to a retention bonus offer and now my travel has increased again.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 56
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@dodgerslv wrote:

@plasticcards wrote:

is not stupid..its really up to what you want. I for one dont mind paying high AF for elite status cards with great rewards. I have the AAdvantage Elite World MC with a 400 AF and the United Club with a 450 fee (i think). I travel about 5 times a year so im sure that doesnt justify the rewards and AF but i sure love using their lounges when i do travel and always tell myself at the moment it is worth the ridiculous AF...Smiley LOL Im sure others may think i am crazy for paying 800 dollars a year to have 2 cards but like you said, i wanna keep the elite status of both cards.

You could buy day passes to the lounge for much cheaper given that you are only traveling 5 times per year.  You may have other reasons to keep the cards, but these are the kinds of questions the OP should ask himself.  How much is he using the benefits he really cares about, and are there alternative ways of getting those same benefits for less money.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 56
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@dodgerslv wrote:

Well, might be worth it for the lounges even though there are probably cheaper ways.   But "keep the elite status of both cards".   Who knows that these cards are in any way elite?  Maybe the airline staff I guess.  Doubt if anyone else recognizes them as being "elite".  Even the Dennys/Walmart crowd referenced above wouldn't know!

Message 9 of 56
watch44
Frequent Contributor

Platinum has no FTF. So if you spend a lot (16666 is breakeven point) while traveling outside the country, that alone will offset the AF.

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 10 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.