Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's be honest with AMEX.

tag
plasticcards
New Contributor

Re: Let's be honest with AMEX.

I do use the $200 airline credit. So it brings the AF too $250 which is not too bad right? If you look at it that way lol. I would go woth the Green but it does not have the airline credit. and the aiport lounges are nice when travelling. Im just a bot confused at the moment. That is all Smiley Happy 

Message 11 of 56
enharu
Super Contributor

I honestly don't think the card is elite in any way, unless you are talking about the Morgan Stanley co-branded version for the Amex platinum. That card more likely so, since you do need to open and maintain a MS account to do so, and they are not a bank who service your typical mom and pop.

Then again, all depends on you. If it makes you happy, keep it. There's no right or wrong as long as it's not putting a strain on your finances.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 12 of 56
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

believe it or not guys, i do get compliments for my AAdvantage Elite card. There is just something about the black and silver MC logo combination....kinda like the Prestige card enharu. But you guys do make great and valid points. You could get same benefits without paying so much. I guess it boils down to what each person prefers.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 13 of 56
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
I honestly don't think the card is elite in any way, unless you are talking about the Morgan Stanley co-branded version for the Amex platinum. That card more likely so, since you do need to open and maintain a MS account to do so, and they are not a bank who service your typical mom and pop.

Then again, all depends on you. If it makes you happy, keep it. There's no right or wrong as long as it's not putting a strain on your finances.

very true...and that is one sweet looking card. Just like the Palladium which is my goal down the road.Smiley Very Happy

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 14 of 56
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure what "status" you believe comes with this card, but its in your head. American Express cards, or really any lenders cards, are not that difficult to get approved for. One only needs a few months of history to be approved for the Platinum and a minimum income is not required. My mom used it when she was getting the 100,000 points bonus and no one said anything to her about it. When she rang to cancel the woman was on about how highly it's looked at, which is a lie. A card is a card and the cashier or people in line have no business looking at what you're using and who cares what they think of it. I would proudly take out a no annual fee First Premier card if it gave high cashback.
Message 15 of 56
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@watch44 wrote:

Platinum has no FTF. So if you spend a lot (16666 is breakeven point) while traveling outside the country, that alone will offset the AF.

As compared to what?  You can use any of a number of free non-FTF cards (many Cap Ones for example) and be ahead again!

Message 16 of 56
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

I guess you can PC to another Amex card but keep the physical Plat card and carry it around with you for "status"...

[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 17 of 56
watch44
Frequent Contributor

True there are no fee cards without the FTF, but OP would first have to get one with an equivalent limit to his NPSL AMEX. It's not a fair comparison imo.

And fwiw plasticcards, I think a Platinum Amex is pretty cool. Most people aren't experts in AMEX underwriting criteria. 

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 18 of 56
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@watch44 wrote:

True there are no fee cards without the FTF, but OP would first have to get one with an equivalent limit to his NPSL AMEX. It's not a fair comparison imo.

And fwiw plasticcards, I think a Platinum Amex is pretty cool. Most people aren't experts in AMEX underwriting criteria. 

The poster used the term breakeven, the point where the "savings" on the FTF outweighed the AF, but as FTF vary from card to card, I wanted to know what the comparison was to.  No idea of the effective size of the NPSL, and/or what is really needed: Cards with no-FTF and no AF aren't all that uncommon these days....

Message 19 of 56
watch44
Frequent Contributor

Oh. I was just comparing it to other AMEX charge cards that people are suggesting. 2.7%.
  (Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 20 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.