cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let the holiday choppings begin! UPDATE!

tag
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Let the holiday choppings begin!

@NRB525 wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

I'm seriously considering closing my Discover IT.  It's a good card, but I never use it.  In nearly every instance, it's trumped by something else in my wallet.  If I didn't have Chase Freedom, I would definitely keep this.

I also waver between keeping my Elan Financial card and closing it.  It has an $8500 CL at 9.99% APR and I've had it for 10 years, so it's my oldest open credit card, but not my oldest TL.  The reason I have trouble parting with it even though it gets zero use is that they constantly send me really good BT offers, which I currently have no use for, but may in the future.

The final card I"m on the fence about keeping is the Fidelity Amex.  It's currently SD'd and has been pretty much replaced by Citi Double Cash.  It's my newest card and has one of my lowest CL.  In fact, I had to move some of my CL from my BOA BBR just to open it, which meant two HPs.  

I'd ideally like to have just six cards max:

Sallie Mae

Citi Double Cash

US Bank Cash +

Chase Freedom (if they don't randomly close it on me!)

Amex TrueEarnings

BOA Better Balance Rewards

Suggestion: Find a reason to use some of those BT offers. Throw them a bone of a $1k or $2k BT and milk it for the term of the offer. What's that cost you? $30-$80 BT Fee? My experience is, to get BT offers, USE BT OFFERS. they have a tendency to continue if you show interest.

Exactly!

Message 31 of 76
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

I gardened a year then went on a spree the other day.

$1500 Discover

$2500 Nordstrom

$5000 Amex Delta

$4500 Sallie Mae

I then took my 16 month old $2200 Apple and moved the limit to Sallie Mae and closed Apple because it's worthless.  $6700 Sallie Mae just wins.

I also closed my year old $650 each 76 and Chevron gas cards.  Neither will get used now that I have Sallie Mae.  I don't care for accounts that get no use.

That beautiful 5% Sallie Mae is the ONLY card that i been trying to land for almost a year which is eluded me twice so far in the attempts. They know how bad i want it and are making me sweat for it, as in GARDENING! Hopefully sometime in 2015 the 3rd time will turn out to be the charm. I already have a 5K Rewards Card with them from July Smiley Very Happy

Sallie Mae was the card I had my eyes on when I opened the Apple in Sept 2013.  I used that card 16 months to build credit with Barclay and got the approval the other day.

Gardening paid off.  It will be nice to have a Barclay card I actually use.  I didn't use the Apple for the last 9 months I had it.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 32 of 76
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

$1500 Discover

$2500 Nordstrom

$5000 Amex Delta

$4500 Sallie Mae

I then took my 16 month old $2200 Apple and moved the limit to Sallie Mae and closed Apple because it's worthless.  $6700 Sallie Mae just wins.

I also closed my year old $650 each 76 and Chevron gas cards.  Neither will get used now that I have Sallie Mae.  I don't care for accounts that get no use.

That beautiful 5% Sallie Mae is the ONLY card that i been trying to land for almost a year which is eluded me twice so far in the attempts. They know how bad i want it and are making me sweat for it, as in GARDENING! Hopefully sometime in 2015 the 3rd time will turn out to be the charm. I already have a 5K Rewards Card with them from July Smiley Very Happy

Sallie Mae was the card I had my eyes on when I opened the Apple in Sept 2013.  I used that card 16 months to build credit with Barclay and got the approval the other day.

Gardening paid off.  It will be nice to have a Barclay card I actually use.  I didn't use the Apple for the last 9 months I had it.

100% Agree!

It's well worth this long wait AFAIK and although their Recon Dept have grilled me pretty good both times on What Else? "Why did you open these recent new accounts?", they have been straightforward and totally upfront with what they expect on this end and i intend to meet that expectation this next time around. Barclays actually have assisted indirectly in pushing me on with bringing the remaining Synchrony accounts that i was after onboard so that no other new cards are needed to go after but only Sallie Mae Smiley Happy

Message 33 of 76
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

$1500 Discover

$2500 Nordstrom

$5000 Amex Delta

$4500 Sallie Mae

100% Agree!

It's well worth this long wait AFAIK and although their Recon Dept have grilled me pretty good both times on What Else? "Why did you open these recent new accounts?", they have been straightforward and totally upfront with what they expect on this end and i intend to meet that expectation this next time around. Barclays actually have assisted indirectly in pushing me on with bringing the remaining Synchrony accounts that i was after onboard so that no other new cards are needed to go after but only Sallie Mae Smiley Happy

Be patient and you'll get there.

i can say without question my profile is where I want it.  I have quality cards and am now in the door with Discover and Amex.  I don't need any other cards.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 34 of 76
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

$1500 Discover

$2500 Nordstrom

$5000 Amex Delta

$4500 Sallie Mae

100% Agree!

Be patient and you'll get there.

i can say without question my profile is where I want it.  I have quality cards and am now in the door with Discover and Amex.  I don't need any other cards.

My profile is almost complete too. Am very satisfied in how things turned out in 2014 and all without even adding an Amex yet. They will have to come later because i don't dare put any more cards ahead of Barclays again if i ever hope to finally land that beauty Sallie Smiley Happy

Message 35 of 76
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Suggestion: Find a reason to use some of those BT offers. Throw them a bone of a $1k or $2k BT and milk it for the term of the offer. What's that cost you? $30-$80 BT Fee? My experience is, to get BT offers, USE BT OFFERS. they have a tendency to continue if you show interest.

It's a good idea, but I'm hesitant to do so because I was carrying revolving balances and shuffling them between different BT offers for so long before I was able to pay off all of my debt earlier this year.  I really don't want to get out of the habit of paying in full now that I'm able to do so.Smiley Happy

Message 36 of 76
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

It's a good idea, but I'm hesitant to do so because I was carrying revolving balances and shuffling them between different BT offers for so long before I was able to pay off all of my debt earlier this year.  I really don't want to get out of the habit of paying in full now that I'm able to do so.Smiley Happy

I found it odd that my newest BofA BBR card offers a nice 12 month 0% BT offer but that one is not the card i would use for a BT. That one is strictly AFAIK only for the Quarterly $25 Bonus when paying more than the minimum on purchase balances.

Message 37 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

0% BT, and they pay you? Whats not to love?
Message 38 of 76
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, it's a great offer indeed but unfortunately i'm already current BT heavy enough with decent offers from Citi, Chase, etc. still available too. Citi is offering one good until 2016 for pitys sakes Smiley Surprised

Message 39 of 76
NRB525
Super Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, it's a great offer indeed but unfortunately i'm already current BT heavy enough with decent offers from Citi, Chase, etc. still available too. Citi is offering one good until 2016 for pitys sakes Smiley Surprised

If you are BT heavy on certain cards, share the load by moving a small amount to BofA

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 40 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.