Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightening the load

tag
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Lightening the load

This week I closed Overstock, JCrew and Kohls. No utilization loss - limits were $700 total.

I honestly didn't even mean to open OS. It was a SCT pop up and I just wanted to see the offer. I don't shop there.

Kohls. Also don't know why I apped. It was an instore approval. I don't shop there either. Despite what people say about their discounts, I find them overpriced.

JCrew. I DO like JC but imo they're expensive and I pretty much only shop clearance or Factory. But 1 year at a $250 limit made the card nearly unusable. And the rewards aren't great.

Up next
Merrick (at its 2-year anniversary in October). Yes I know AAoA isn't affected and all that. But *I* have decided to keep it til it's 2 years old.

I'm kind of over Comenity. I don't NEED Ann Taylor or VS, but I'll keep them for now. The AT rewards work for me and my daughter and teen nieces make VS worth hanging on to for now.

If I don't have any growth in Pier 1 over the next 6-9 months I may let that one go too. My P1 card is 13 months old with the same limit as when it opened Smiley Sad

I'm 13 months into my rebuild. I've increased EX and TU by 50ish points each. My EQ is being held down by a collection that'll be deleted next week. I've gone from $700 in available credit to $50k. I've gotten in with AMEX and have my first 5-figure limit on a major bank card.

Last derogs are some old SL latex. Otherwise I'm temporarily hampered by all the INQs and new accounts so I'm ready to let my report age a bit.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Lightening the load

You've made great progress in short time and it sounds like you have a good plan going forward.  Are you planning to keep the other store cards in your signature?

Message 2 of 7
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Thanks!! For now, Target, Walmart, TJX and Amazon would need to be ripped from my cold, lifeless hands!!! Lol! And AE is currently at $3500 so it can stay awhile.

The others are up for debate at any time. I'm not a huge fan of Macy's but my son is. The discounts come in handy and I always make him PIF right after a charge (he's not an au).
NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's some great progress to closing accounts! I also have been going on a closing spree (both store cards and CC's), it makes my wallet lighter and me happier. 

Message 4 of 7
oldman425
Frequent Contributor

Keep up the great work!

12/27/16 - Eq683 TU666 Ex681 04/05/17 Eq742 TU763 Ex757
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good job, keep up the good work

Message 6 of 7
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Thanks! 

I'm so ready to move on to phase 2 of the rebuild!!! Now to sit on my hands for 2 years so I can have ZERO inquiries and no "new" accounts.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.