Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit on Amex Charge Card

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Limit on Amex Charge Card

Amex put a limit on my charge card. Normally when they put the limit does it come off autmatically after so many months? Possibly 12 months ? Or do we have to call them and ask them to change it? I know I have seen it they did similar to other people in the past and later they removed it.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Limit on Amex Charge Card

If you don't mind sharing what do you think lead Amex to put a hard limit on your card?

Message 2 of 23
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Any thing can trigger that. New accounts, increased credit use, AA by other creditors. Who knows. Normally they would reduce the CL or out a hard limit on the charge cards and later they would remove it. I have seen it they do for others before and even for me about 8 years ago.

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you just go through manual review?

Message 4 of 23
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I have no idea what they did or did not do. I did not talk to any one at Amex nor did they call.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you know they put a limit on your card?
Message 6 of 23
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

It will tell you if you login to your account. It will show the limit instead as pre-set spending limit.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not the Pay Over Time feature?

Message 8 of 23
ddemari
Super Contributor

Amex did this to me about 18 months ago. They put a hard limit on my charge card, I never talked to them about it and they never removed it, instead they have increased it twice but still have kept a hard limit on it. 

Message 9 of 23
Berk
Established Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

Amex put a limit on my charge card. Normally when they put the limit does it come off autmatically after so many months? Possibly 12 months ? Or do we have to call them and ask them to change it? I know I have seen it they did similar to other people in the past and later they removed it.

If it isn't limitting your ability to put spend in the card I wouldn't worry about it. I would guess that eventually it will go up or be removed. 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.