cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited credit history with the prime cards?

tag
ld81
Established Member

Limited credit history with the prime cards?

Anyone can get a prime card like discover,citi or chase with a 1 n half year credit history?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Limited credit history with the prime cards?

It's possible. If you can afford to take inquiry hits go for it and give us an update. 

Message 2 of 12
stone4779
Valued Member

No lates, no collections etc and at least one paid loan or credit card and one open loan or credit card and I dont see why you wouldnt get approved...for a small amount, yes but you should get approved...

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: 780
Goal Score: 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 12
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

Got a Discover card with a $1,000 limit and 14.99% APR with a seven month credit history in 2009 so yes it should be even easier now.

Message 4 of 12
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

Discover was my first CC so I would guess so.

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ld81 wrote:
Anyone can get a prime card like discover,citi or chase with a 1 n half year credit history?

Yeah of course. I would say a vast minority of people don't start a credit card with those plus the other big banks.

Message 6 of 12
stone4779
Valued Member

Just make sure to save Capital One for if you CANT get anything else...they suck Smiley Sad For CCs anyways..

Please let us know how your apps go..who approves you, credit limits, etc.

Maybe try for a couple student cards....if you you are in school that is lol.

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: 780
Goal Score: 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 12
jj10939
Regular Contributor

Just make sure to save Capital One for if you CANT get anything else...they suck :smileysad: For CCs anyways..

I agree with this.  Capital One seems to be in business not to grow with you but to collect annual fees on people with limited to below average credit.  They do not grow with you typically and are not my favorite bank.

With that being said and to answer your question, I got my Discover when I was 18.  Approved with $1300 ICL and raised to $4000 about a year later at my request and at the expense of a hard inquiry.  I also got CITI at 19 so I would say as long as you have a good DTI ratio and no lates, I would go for it. 

Message 8 of 12
smc733
Valued Contributor

See my sig?  It doesn't take long.  I started in 4/2010.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 9 of 12
vish1
Valued Contributor

@ld81 wrote:

One and a half year is good enough as long as you have atleast 2 Credit lines open and have no baddies. I got 2 CLs in range of about 10k with 1 year and 1-2 months history.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.