Did you mean: 

Local Bank/CU for Your State

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Local Bank/CU for Your State

@gdale6 wrote:
ID-Idaho Central CU

Love ICCU - they gave me my first car loan! 

do you know how their UW is these days?

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

California Coast Credit Union

- Customer service is underwhelming, but they have some great rates for their products - even beat NFCU for a loan & CD Ladder

Message 12 of 22
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous    Awesome

Message 13 of 22
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

People here talk about CU's like a God-send and I'm sure they are for some in certain predicaments but the few in FL are trash. Most are employer-access only. I've been banking with a popular one here, Space Coast Credit Union, and honestly, they never did or offered anything special for me. They are pretty much state-wide. When I was starting out, they wouldn't extend me credit. They suggested I start with a store card, and then get a "prime" card and then when those age I may be considered. Mind you, while I personally had limited savings in my bank account, it was still linked to my parent's accounts who had a good share of savings with them. They offer a decent 2% CB card (before they were cool) if you had a large amount in your savings with them. Lower tiered members would get 1%-1.5%. Really no frills here and the APR was middling to boot.

When I financed a car with them the rate was also not the lowest around but we did it with them because they were in the ball park and we knew they didn't have predatory practices. It was still not easy (wanted all sorts of documents for a transfer of ownership from my parents to me). Their online systems suck. Their app is their website in a wrapper. They added TouchID around the time FaceID came out and they're still the only card I know of from a major-ish banking type organization to not be on Apple Pay. A CSR told me it might not be until 2022. If it wasn't for the convenience of receiving my paycheck a day early and the decent APR on the savings, I would not still be with them. 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 14 of 22
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

I love CUs, but I don't have any CU cards currently.  The two CUs I'm in are:

• Creighton Federal:  Joined this one back when I was in college.  Field of membership is different orgs in Omaha, NE, including Creighton University.  Their rewards card isn't impressive, but they do have a flat 14.9% apr Visa that isn't tied to prime that might be good for a rebuilder.  IIRC, their rates for personal and used auto loans are decent.  It's a small CU, so it has a lot of the disadvantages that come with that: clunky webpage, no app, tech from the 90s, lots of documentation for UW.  But I also love them, in part b/c they're small and in part b/c I know so many people that work there.  I'm not actively banking with them right now, but if they don't kick me out I'll probably never leave.

• Cobalt FCU: This was originally the CU for SAC at Offutt Air Force Base, but they became community based after SAC ended and eventually changed their name.  Also been a member here for a long time, and a tiny PLOC I have with them is my oldest account.  Their field of membership is counties in eastern NE and western IA.  They've become much more like a big bank since I joined, so I don't like them as much.  (At one point, they "automatically upgraded" my savings account to one that charged a monthly fee.)  Nothing special about their credit cards.

I haven't looked much into the CUs that are available to us since we moved, but if anyone has any recommendations for good ones in MN, I'd appreciate it!

Message 15 of 22
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Slabenstein     There is a Link that LongtimeLurker posted on my first page here that may help you find some local to your new state.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

People here talk about CU's like a God-send and I'm sure they are for some in certain predicaments but the few in FL are trash. 

Yes, not all are good!  Looking at a bunch of semi-local ones that I am eligible for, I find this amazing credit card:

• Earn 1 point for every net $1 you spend, plus get a 50% BONUS (that's equivalent to 1.5 points) on all points earned every month, automatically.
  • $50 cash back with your first purchase.
  • $50 annual fee

$50 AF for a 1.5% card (assuming points can be redeemed for 1cpp!)   OK, good SUB, but that just does the first year

Message 17 of 22
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

@Slabenstein     There is a Link that LongtimeLurker posted on my first page here that may help you find some local to your new state.  Smiley Very Happy

I know the names of most of the ones around here and I've looked over their websites some.  I was just hoping someone here had experience with one or more of them.

Message 18 of 22
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:
ID-Idaho Central CU

Love this CU. Got a 25k card right out of the box

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 19 of 22
sxa001
Valued Contributor

I have looked at the local credit unions around here (University Federal Credit Union, Austin Telco, Amplify, and some others) nothing so far as really caught my eye.  I will admit for years I never really paid any attention to what was out there from a banking products perspective, I joined NASA for novelty and have used Chase as my primary checking for 10 years.  I would love to find a local credit union that is as good as DCU or AOD with having at least one really good product (like a 3% everything card or a 6% rate on a savings account).  

If any Central Texas (Austin Metro) folks know of any good choices around here to add to the list, I would love to hear suggestions.  

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.