cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local banks are they hard to obtain their CC?

tag
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Local banks are they hard to obtain their CC?

Does anyone know or think local banks in your state besides CU's are just as hard to obtain their CC's like national banks or are they easier?

I want to apply for a cc at my local bank that I already bank with, but don't want to be denied or given a low credit line.  

Thoughts?

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
linux007969
Established Contributor

Re: Local banks are they hard to obtain their CC?

@chnceit wrote:

Does anyone know or think local banks in your state besides CU's are just as hard to obtain their CC's like national banks or are they easier?

I want to apply for a cc at my local bank that I already bank with, but don't want to be denied or given a low credit line.  

Thoughts?

some don't even handle their own credit cards, some are issued and Administrated by companies like FIA Card Services, Elan Financial or even First National of Omaha.

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 2 of 7
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@linux007969 wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

Thoughts?

some don't even handle their own credit cards, some are issued and Administrated by companies like FIA Card Services, Elan Financial or even First National of Omaha.

You are correct my local bank offers two cards. One is serviced by them and one by FIA. I checked the T&C. But I want the one that is serviced by them. 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 3 of 7
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

It will all depend, and I'm not sure any information you will get on this site will help you determine your chances.  I say talk to a CSR or lender at the bank and ask about what they look for in a customer, or what types of profiles other people have had who have been approved for the card.  Obviously, they won't be able to tell you if you can get approved or not until you apply and they pull your credit, but they may be able to give you information about how they evaluate applications and what their primary criteria is (income vs. long credit history vs. no baddies, etc.)

Best of luck!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 4 of 7
TheConductor
Established Contributor

+1 SnackTrader

It is very much dependent on the specific bank. Some are strict in their lending requirements, some are more lenient. Some give a lot of weight to established checking/savings history with the bank; some give that no weight at all. Some are generous with credit lines but make obtaining a credit card difficult, while others are generous in giving cards and stingy with limits.

The good and the bad of community banks is there is a wide variety of them all with different business practices.  One of them will surely be right for you and your current credit profile, it just may not be the one you're with.

Definitely ask a banker at the bank. I've banked with credit unions, community banks, and mega-banks over the past 25 years, and in my experience it's the small community banks and credit unions who will be most frank with you about what they want and where you stand, before ever pulling a credit report.

Also, you can learn a lot about a bank's likely lending practices by checking out the Health tab on the bank's page at http://www.depositaccounts.com.  Explaining all those numbers and what they mean is a task beyond the scope of this thread, but if you invest some time in understanding them you can get a sense of how much a particular bank's lending is open to sub-prime and/or higher-risk borrowers.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 5 of 7
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@linux007969 wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

Thoughts?

I've seen this to be the case more often than not

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 6 of 7
GlocksAndCredit
Regular Contributor

Was wondering the same thing like for SunTrust, anyone know what it takes to get approved there?

CSP $9500, CapitalOne VentureOne Sig Visa $8000 Chase Freedom Sig Visa $5000, Citi ThankYou Preferred Sig Visa $5000, Amazon Store Card $5000, Discover IT $4800, CapitalOne Quick Silver MasterCard $4000, Fidelity AMEX $4000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $3300, Hilton Honors Sig Visa $3300, Citi Double Cash $2700, SunTrust Cash Rewards $2500, Citi Simplicity Visa $2300, AMEX BCE $2000, AMEX Everyday $2000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles $2000, Amazon Reward Visa $1800, BP VIsa $1800, Barclays Apple Visa $1700, Suncoast FCU $1000, Target REDCard $900

Current Scores: EQ 727 (Fico), EX 735 (Fico) **In the Garden unti....forever.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.