Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location of app or residency - which ones matters

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Location of app or residency - which ones matters

I got to thinking about this and my gut tells me its your home address (residency) that matters but when you app for a cc while you are in another state, does that change which CSR the CC company uses? Or is it determined by your listed address in the app?

For example, for arguments sake, CC company pulls EX for those in TX while in LA the same results in EQ.  If I live in LA and I'm in TX for business and apply for an app would it use EX or EQ?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
KS13
Established Member

Re: Location of app or residency - which ones matters

It'll be your home address. They have no way of knowing where you are besides IP address but I doubt they would base it off theIP as that can be spoofed and many people would use this loophole 

Message 2 of 10
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

I would say they go by your residency ...

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 3 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Think I misread the post earlier Smiley Happy.

Home residence always, old AOL proxy servers would be the most notorious example of why it wouldn't be done otherwise.  Also it would defeat the purpose of the regional lines and resolution the different bureaus had otherwise.

        
Message 4 of 10
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

For student types, would you say permanent home address or school residence address? (Assuming student is at school most of the year and plans to stay for at least a couple years.)
EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 5 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@sengpatt wrote:
For student types, would you say permanent home address or school residence address? (Assuming student is at school most of the year and plans to stay for at least a couple years.)

Personally I'd put my school address.  I think the bank wants to know where to mail the card and paperwork to anyway.

For a student though, arguably it doesn't matter as much as most tradelines and even negative information is reported to all three bureaus and you're in your credit infancy anyway.  It's old geezers like me where the regional locality makes more statistical importance.

        
Message 6 of 10
KS13
Established Member

Home address Most likely 

Message 7 of 10
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@sengpatt wrote:

Personally I'd put my school address.  I think the bank wants to know where to mail the card and paperwork to anyway.

For a student though, arguably it doesn't matter as much as most tradelines and even negative information is reported to all three bureaus and you're in your credit infancy anyway.  It's old geezers like me where the regional locality makes more statistical importance.

I woud agree. Although it might play a bigger role in the case of, say,  a grad student who already has multiple credit cards/recent inquiries.

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 8 of 10
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Im just calculating possibilities.  Say I move to TX (if take job), I could use my new address and get some EX pulls (save my poor INQ battered EQ).  The only complication is I would had to verify my address as it would be a new address and not the one Ive used for the last 5 years.

Another item: say you have two addresses (two homes) could you select which one you use?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Duncanrr wrote:

Im just calculating possibilities.  Say I move to TX (if take job), I could use my new address and get some EX pulls (save my poor INQ battered EQ).  The only complication is I would had to verify my address as it would be a new address and not the one Ive used for the last 5 years.

Another item: say you have two addresses (two homes) could you select which one you use?

They're going to ask if you've lived at that address for the past two years or something akin to that.  That I know Chase does for certain and I believe Amex did as well, and if you haven't, they'll want the prior address.

I'd also say primary residence which AFAIK needs to be defined for various reasons legally anyway.

        
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.