cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Longterm Plan to Build My Wallet

tag
New Contributor

Re: App spree considerations

My old Chase card was a Continental Airlines card.. It says MileagePlus something or other on it, but not exactly as printed on anything current.

I do maintain a small account a BofA strictly for transfering money to friends and family (< $10k).  However, I have an appointment with a ML advisor in June to talk about moving our managed accounts to him.  Regarding Chase, we currently have corp banking at WF and their small biz features are simply too small for us (amount limits for just about everything from deposit to wire), so I'm considering moving our biz banking, and Chase is where I intend to visit because they send me so many offers (postal) for my biz every week.

So, no not today, but likely this summer, I'll have good amount of assets at BofA/ML (personal) and Chase (biz).

Message 11 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@851 wrote:

My old Chase card was a Continental Airlines card.. It says MileagePlus something or other on it, but not exactly as printed on anything current.

I do maintain a small account a BofA strictly for transfering money to friends and family (< $10k).  However, I have an appointment with a ML advisor in June to talk about moving our managed accounts to him.  Regarding Chase, we currently have corp banking at WF and their small biz features are simply too small for us (amount limits for just about everything from deposit to wire), so I'm considering moving our biz banking, and Chase is where I intend to visit because they send me so many offers (postal) for my biz every week.

So, no not today, but likely this summer, I'll have good amount of assets at BofA/ML (personal) and Chase (biz).

Okay, so your Chase card is now a cobranded United card.  Like Marriott, there are legacy United cards still floating around that you can no longer actually apply for.  Your ability to product change will be limited to the other cards in the United family.  Note that if you click on Personal Cards, there are 9 United cards listed, 6 of which are not open to new applicants, but chances are your existing card is on that page.

If you will have significant assets with BoA/ML, you may want to consider Premium Rewards and Cash Rewards cards as those have a 75% bonus multiplier with Platinum Honors which can be a massive return, and is certainly much simpler than playing the travel miles/points game.

Message 12 of 18
Green456
Established Contributor

Look into BoA Honors Benefits vs Chase Private Client and see what is more important to you. Then compare CSR vs BoA Cash back at 5.25%.

Message 13 of 18
New Contributor

Thank you everyone.  The last 2 posts are exactly the cards I intend to app... was thinking BOTH, then use them both until I land at one institution or the other for the lions share of my day.  I hadn't looked at Chase private client yet though.. will do.

The "other" cards I was going to add were an Amex Plat, co-branded hotel/airline and maybe Costco (not really sure the Costco gives me any benefits over the others). 

Well, one of my concerns on the points cards were their category limits - I easily exceed these with a large family.  That's part of the reason for multiple cards... to avoid cat caps.  I might be misinformed? That said, I will likely get distracted from point management after a year or two anyway, reverting back to one or 2 cards (like BofA for that 75% easy-button).  Who knows.. it sounds fun today.

Message 14 of 18
Green456
Established Contributor

@851 wrote:

Thank you everyone.  The last 2 posts are exactly the cards I intend to app... was thinking BOTH, then use them both until I land at one institution or the other for the lions share of my day.  I hadn't looked at Chase private client yet though.. will do.

The "other" cards I was going to add were an Amex Plat, co-branded hotel/airline and maybe Costco (not really sure the Costco gives me any benefits over the others). 

Well, one of my concerns on the points cards were their category limits - I easily exceed these with a large family.  That's part of the reason for multiple cards... to avoid cat caps.  I might be misinformed? That said, I will likely get distracted from point management after a year or two anyway, reverting back to one or 2 cards (like BofA for that 75% easy-button).  Who knows.. it sounds fun today.

The BoA Travel Card with 75% bonus gives you 2.625% cash back on all your travel without any limit. I am not sure if Chase cards have any limits.

Message 15 of 18
New Contributor

Thanks again for the Chase private client suggestion. 

Timing questions...

• My HELOC app was this month
  • My appt with Chase is this month
  • My appt with Merrill is next month 
  1. Is it important to get all this credit pull/check stuff in the same month?  I'm under the impression this is better than dragging out credit checks over a period of months. 
  2. And, should I wait and apply for CSR and BofA Premium Rewards (whatever that Platinum Honors 75% bonus program is called) when moving assets to these firms?  Or just apply now... this is my preference and instinct.  Regardless of which firm gets my managed accounts, I'm going to establish new accounts at both places and apply for their respective cards.  

EDIT: I asked the Chase folks I'm meeting with what they thought about applying now or in person when opening bank accounts.  Personal banker said, now or later.. doesn't matter.  Commercial banker suggested to wait and do it in person because they can speak directly with underwriting during the app process... FWIW.

Message 16 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The forum has shifted in recent times away from “app sprees,” because they’re viewed as risky. In your case, you should be fine applying whenever you want. Your terms and limits may be better initially if you have assets stashed, but it doesn’t sound like it will really be an issue. Chase is more averse to newer accounts than BoA, so I would go with Chase first whether they’re done in the same hour or months apart.

For Honors, BoA will look at your total deposit and investment accounts over three months to determine eligibility and tier. With Premium Rewards, Travel Rewards, and Cash Rewards cards you get a bonus percentage on the rewards, up to 75%. Travel Rewards is completely obsolete if one can qualify for Premium Rewards. (I only have mine for age and balance transfers, and BTs with a $90k limit is nice LOL).
Message 17 of 18
New Contributor

Thanks again for all this feedback - its very valuable and much appreciated.

My data gathering is complete, and my spreadsheet is looking very colorful Smiley Happy  A little more analysis and I'll be ready to execute a plan.  Sounds like execution could be 1-3 months.  I'll report back to this thread for anyone who finds it helpful/applicable to their own decision making or curiosity.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.