cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at 0% promo interest cards to finance home remodel - need to soundboard-get advice

tag
helaurin
New Contributor

Looking at 0% promo interest cards to finance home remodel - need to soundboard-get advice

Ok, so here's my dilemma or issue.  

I need to do a major bathroom renovation - the whole thing needs to be demo'ed, right down to the studs.  I figure that I'll need to put probably about $10 - $12k on credit cards.  There's some equity in the house, but not that much (I only bought it a few years ago) so a home equity loan may not be possible, which is why I'm looking for the best 0%/promo interest cards.  I'd like suggestions and thoughts on what people have experienced with some of the cards I'm considering.  The contractor I'm using sources his stuff from contractor supply stores, such as Ferguson's for plumbing, The Tile Shop for tile, etc. - nothing from Home Depot or Lowes.   I have reasonably decent credit (Fico score of 788).   I didn't apply for Ferguson's financing offer, because their "promotional deal" for purchases over $799 is a flat rate of 29.99% with nothing special (super disappointing!).

In general, assuming nothing changes with my income (I'm a single parent), I will be able to put about $1,000 a month towards the credit cards through the rest of 2016, and about $700/month in 2017.   I do think that some of the plumbing supplies can be found cheaper through online sites than at the plumbing supply store my contractor uses, which makes cards offering price protection also attractive.

1.  Amex Blue Cash:  is offering 0% for 12 months.  If I put at least $1,000 in charges on it, there's a cashback reward of $250, plus the ordinary 1% rewards for all purchases.   

2.  Chase Freedom:  is offering 0% for 15 months.  There's a sign up bonus of $150, and cashback on purchases of 1.5%. 

3.  Citi Simplicity: is offering 0% for 21 months.  There are no rewards, but it has the longest 0% interest offer that I'm aware of out there.  They also reportedly have the best price-protection program, and I already know that just for some of the plumbing stuff, there's over $200 in items that is priced better elsewhere than at the contractor's plumbng supply store. 

4. Discover IT Cashback Match: 0% for 12 months, 1% cashback, with the first-year cashback doubled. So, in effect, it's like 2% back for the first year.

5. Wells Fargo Home Rebate Signature:  0% for 15 months.  Rebate of 1%.  This is who my mortgage is with; whenever the cashback earned is $25 or more, they will apply it to my mortgage principal.  Which, in theory, I could do myself with any other card, so I'm not inclined to apply for this card right now. 

I'm considering taking a few cards and structuring the bathroom renovation expenses as follows in order to maximize sign-up bonuses, cash rebates, and price matchings. 

1.  Amex:   First $1,000 on there, with the casback, I'll only end up needing to pay about $750.  

2.  Citi Simplicity:  I'm thinking of putting the majority of the items that are easy for cost comparison here... especially the items I know can be found cheaper elsewhere..   I've already identified 18 out of the first 31 items on the plumbing supply store's list as being cheaper elsewhere, so that's a potential price-match of over $200 already..   There's at least another 27 items for me to evaluate.  

3.  Chase Freedom:  Considring putting some of the items that aren't easy for price matching on this, because of the $150 sign up bonus and the 1.5% cashback.  There's another $25 if I add an authorized user.  (Can a 10-year-old be added as an authorized user?) 

Thoughts?    Thanks in advance.   I'm thinking of leaving the Discover and Wells Fargo cards for another time, or in case for any reason I can't pay off all of bathroom remodeling costs by the end of the promo periods, so that I might do a balance transfer (if needed). 

Starting Score: 2014 775
Current Score: 822
Goal Score: 840

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking at 0% promo interest cards to finance home remodel - need to soundboard-get advice

With your scores, you'll probably be able to get some decent credit limits. Sounds like you have a solid plan. I'd get a couple of the cashback or rewards cards with the 0% APR offer and split your costs between them. That way, you effectively reduce the total cost of your project. And by spreading the spend out over a couple cards, you don't have to worry about your utilization going through the roof.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking at 0% promo interest cards to finance home remodel - need to soundboard-get advice

Sounds like a plan!  I did a lot of subbing on the outside for pavers, landscaping, etc.  Here in FL, there's not many experienced contractors who take cc's.  I had to pay with a personal check.  When you do find the contractors, make sure they accept cc's.  Those guys took a big chunk out of my savings!  And it will be cheaper to hire each individual project out at a time.  There's no putting their fees on top of anothers.  Good luck and hope all goes well.  Woman Very Happy

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover gives frequent, prequalified 0% BT offers all the time and easy CLIs - I would definitely recommend making it one of the first cards you get. That way you can use the intro 0%, and then if you can't pay your other 0% cards in time, you will likely have the option to BT them to Discover as well. They also seem to give higher CLs to people with less available credit, so it should be early in your spree. Oh PS, their July-September 5% (really 10%) category is Home Improvement stores, which may include your contractor's spot.

Citi Simplicity is a good early choice because of their frequent 0% BT offers as well, even after the introductory 0% period ended. Combined with Discover, you should have some solid BT capacity, if needed, beyond the introductory APRs.

You mentioned the Freedom but described the Freedom Unlimited, so consider the regular Freedom as well - 1% CB all purchases, 5% CB on rotating categories, 0% for 15 months, and Chase generally gives solid starter limits since they don't really do soft pull CLIs.

You can add just about anything as an AU - my cat is AU on a few of my cards!

Hope that helps and good luck with your remodel!

Message 4 of 16
helaurin
New Contributor

I had figured that I might not need to go for the Discover card right away, in part because I already have three open credit card lines with Discover already, and I usually only use one or two of them at a time (rotating use).   But it's good to know that the home improvement category is a featured category come July, in case there are still things that the contractor needs to get - but we're planning a start in mid-June.  One reason is because there is a small leak going from the bathroom shower to the utility room below whenever the shower is used, so we've already been waiting and hoping it doesn't get worse.  Another is that Moen gave me a rebate offer for 10% off of any of their items - but it expires at the end of June.  The Moen products alone will run about $5,100... so that's worth pushing to get those items in during June.

I know that my general contractor will need to be paid in cash for his services, which are broken out separately from supplies. I can pay the bulk of supplies with credit cards, and as far as labor for him and his team, I've got about $18,000 in cash savings, and am setting aside about $1,500 a month this year to add to my cash savings for this project.

I'll double check the two Freedom cards (regular vs. unlimited), thanks for the heads up on that. 

Obviously, if I can use 0% interest on purchases, that's better than 0% on Balance transfers, since most BT's are 3% - 5% in fees of the transferred balance. Smiley Happy

I'll think about adding my kiddo as an AU Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 16
helaurin
New Contributor

Thanks for the tip Smiley Happy    I know it would be cheaper if I was my own general contractor and hired each one directly, but with the nature of the project (it's actually both of the bathrooms), we want to make sure everything falls in line so that we minimize the time without showering/bathing facilities.  I've got about $18k saved up in cash for anything I can't use my credit cards on.   And yeah, doing both bathrooms pretty much at the same time... we'll need good luck Smiley Happy  Thanks!

Message 6 of 16
helaurin
New Contributor

Good point about utilization.  I have to remember that scores are based both on utilization within a CL as well as across CL's.   I have enough open CC's with high limits that I'm not too worried about the overal CC utilization rate - I typically keep the utilization rates pretty low on my current cards - last credit report, total balance of $283 spread out over a total credit card limit of $121,050, a total credit card utilization rate of 0.2%.  I know my credit will take a big hit when I make apply for 3 new cards and then make all the supply purchases, but that part should be relatively temporary as I pay things down again. 

balancecl

Message 7 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@helaurin wrote:

Good point about utilization.  I have to remember that scores are based both on utilization within a CL as well as across CL's.   I have enough open CC's with high limits that I'm not too worried about the overal CC utilization rate - I typically keep the utilization rates pretty low on my current cards - last credit report, total balance of $283 spread out over a total credit card limit of $121,050, a total credit card utilization rate of 0.2%.  I know my credit will take a big hit when I make apply for 3 new cards and then make all the supply purchases, but that part should be relatively temporary as I pay things down again. 

balancecl

Personally with all those cards, and available limits, I wouldn't be adding cards.

Don't you have any decent balance transfer offers in there, so that you could use whatever card you want for the purchases, then just switch it over later?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 16
helaurin
New Contributor

I have a few balance transfer offers - ranging from 3% to 5%.  I'm looking to immediately minimize interest charges.  I just applied for the three cards I wanted - and got approved for all three.  And none of them have the purchase price protection that Citi Simplicity offers.

Citi Simplicity, $6500

Chase Freedom, $22,000

Amex Blue, $11,000

Now all I need is for the cards to hurry up and get here so that I can get things ordered for the remodel! 

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Look at Capital One QS offers. They seem really good. NO AF for atleast a year.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.