Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Cap one advice/guidance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for Cap one advice/guidance

Just looking for some input/guidance on my cap one cards. First card I got for my rebuild is the Qs1 19 months ago with 250 limit. They moved it to 500 after the first 5 payments as promised. I then got 100 more from the luv button and will be able to try again next month. I have previously called and asked if it could be upgraded. They said no. My 2nd card was a platinum, had 11 months now. It too started at 250, moved to 500 after 5 payments. I hit the luv button 4 or 5 months ago and got 100 and then found out they also auto me 500 more to move the card to 1100. I did the upgrade link yesterday and they upgraded the platinum to a QS. I also have a buy power card 10 months now. 250 went to 500 after the 5th or 6th payment. What now? Obviously the QS1 is not going to grow much for me. Should I go ahead and pay down to 0 and try to combo it with my newly platinum to QS upgrade. My rebuild is nearly complete...only negative on reports is late payment from 2 years ago. I just got a Discover IT last week with 2200 SL. Working on UTI now ...waiting for updates which should put me at 30% and hoping to see a few more points. Best score is EX which is now 658. Any advice of getting some love and better increases from cap one and what to do with that qs1 with the AF? Thank you in advance for any input and direction.
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for Cap one advice/guidance

If your AAoA is fairly short and  you don't mind closing the QS1, I'd combine the limit from the QS1 into your QS when eligible.  From what others have said, you probably won't be able to grow much with either card, but at least you can get a combined limit that is more useful for monthly spending.  Only advice then would be to increase your spend on a monthly basis and PIF if at all possible.  You'll get SP increases every 6 months when you request them, but likely be capped to 1500 or 2000 max, depending.  YMMV.  Other option is to garden  for an additional 6-7 months, then see if you prequal for the QS, Venture or Savor outright.  You'll have a better shot at a decent SL with one of those cards.

Message 2 of 14
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

You should call Capital One and see if there's an upgrade offer on your QS1. The flaw with the link is that it only displays one card, and you don't get to choose which one it shows.

QS1s aren't keeper cards. Because of the annual fee, they need to eventually be closed, product-changed, or combined into another card. QS1s are notoriously hard to upgrade. Have you been using the card each and every month? I got my upgrade offers after about 12 or 13 consecutive months of usage and calling in to check for offers every month. You could try that.

That said, combining into your QS sounds like a good option. By the time the QS1 is likely to fall off your report, it's not likely to have much of an effect on your account age numbers.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

You should call Capital One and see if there's an upgrade offer on your QS1. The flaw with the link is that it only displays one card, and you don't get to choose which one it shows.

QS1s aren't keeper cards. Because of the annual fee, they need to eventually be closed, product-changed, or combined into another card.

I want people to see if my "workaround" on multiple cards works or not:

1. Log into Capital One.
  2. Click on your first credit card and let the URL load.
  3. Go to your web browser URL section and append (add to the end) this text: /ProductUpgrade and hit (enter)
  4. If no upgrade, go to your next credit card and repeat steps 2-3.
  5. Repeat for all credit cards

From what I could tell browsing around their HTML/JS, this MIGHT work for those with multiple cards, but I haven't verified it yet.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input. Tried the adding to the URL. Every card said not available. I did get on chat and was told I would be be able to combine the QS1 with the QS since they don't have the same rate. I did hit the increase button and got another 100. So now at 700. It's something. Is it worth maybe putting a little more usage on it and PIF and try to grow or get upgrade or is it pointless and I should close it and apply for another card. Decisions decisions.
Message 5 of 14
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I can't prove it, but I think that consecutive months of usage is what triggered my upgrade offers. I didn't necessarily charge much. And during those months, I almost always paid before the statement cut. If your objective is an upgrade offer, I woudn't go out of my way to charge a lot. Charge a couple of things each month, and pay them off once the transactions post.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a CLI, I'd give the card moderate to heavy use. Since you just got a CLI, you don't have to start that right now. But I'd ramp things up in the two or three months preceding the date that you become eligible.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I will try using a little more and pif each month and see if I can get it upgraded or something before throwing in the towel on it just yet.
Message 7 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

QS1s aren't keeper cards. Because of the annual fee, they need to eventually be closed, product-changed, or combined into another card.

1. Log into Capital One.
  3. Go to your web browser URL section and append (add to the end) this text: /ProductUpgrade and hit (enter)

From what I could tell browsing around their HTML/JS, this MIGHT work for those with multiple cards, but I haven't verified it yet.

When I've tried this it works but so far it always gives me 'offers' on my oldest card regardless of which card I'm viewing when I append the URL.  I'll continue to play around with it, though.  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

Is both cards older than 6 months? You might be able to combine them into a single account.

I got Platnium in February. In August I app'd/approved QS1. Discover the upgrade linke the next day and upgraded the Plat to QS. QS1 is still in steps and will be until next spring. Once it receives its increase, I plan on trying to merge the QS1 into the QS.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 9 of 14
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

1. Log into Capital One.

No upgrade offer for me. However I was able to trigger an attempt! Good idea ABCD2199!

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.