Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for DP's Barclays Silver Aviator

tag
GTS
Contributor

Looking for DP's Barclays Silver Aviator

Just curious to see if anyone has any data points (scoring range, limits, etc) available for the Silver Aviator Aadvantage card by Barclays? It seems to be the more premium card (highest AF, best point value, etc). The fact that it's not even on barclays main list of CC is also weird to me. I have seen a ton about the aviator red card but haven't ever seen anything about this particular card.

FICO 8/9:

Chase FF WEMC-$25,200 CL
Chase IHG Premier WEMC-$16,700 CL
Amex BCP-$10,000 CL
PayPal cashback WMC-$8,000 Cl
RCU Platnum Visa-$5,000 CL
Cap1 Savor One WEMC-$5,000 CL
Disco It-$8,000 CL
Disco It-$5,200 CL
Cap1 Quicksilver WEMC-$3,400 CL

Citi Corporate MC-$5,000 CL
AU Citi AA Advantage-$30,000 CL
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: Looking for DP's Barclays Silver Aviator

I was under the impression that the only way to get the Silver Aviator card was you have to have the Red Aviator card first, for a minimum of 90 days, then you're eligible to upgrade to the Silver card... Requires scores of 720 or higher... no idea on what the minimum CL might be.

Message 2 of 8
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@JoeRockhead wrote:

I was under the impression that the only way to get the Silver Aviator card was you have to have the Red Aviator card first, for a minimum of 90 days, then you're eligible to upgrade to the Silver card... Requires scores of 720 or higher... no idea on what the minimum CL might be.

+1  This is true.  There is no direct application for the Silver.  The card is an upgrade from the Red.  I've not seen specific data points about it, but I thought it the Red had to be held for at least one year, not 90 days.  DW has Aviator Red and I believe got the invite to Silver upgrade after 12 months. 

"In general, Aviator Red cardholders are allowed to upgrade. However, that doesn't mean every cardholder meets Barclay's qualifications to do so. There is a long list of factors that Barclays looks at when considering whether or not it will approve an upgrade request, including but not limited to whether your account is in good standing, the length of your account history and any recent upgrades or downgrades."  *Per tpg

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 3 of 8
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

I started with the Red card and about 14 months later was invited to apply to upgrade to the silver. As you can see in my sig below I accepted.
My scores at the time were high 780's possibly low 790's, it has been a little while since I got the card, at around one year, I think I had scores closer to the mid 760's.
Not sure if the score change had anything to do with the invite, I might have even missed an invite to uprgade at 12 months, I don't always check the apps if I know I'm not carrying a balance.
All that been said, I believe you need the Red version prior to getting the offer to upgrade and that is offered at around the 12 month mark

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 4 of 8
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

I think I would give up a body part before I gave up $200/yr for that card.  :-I

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 5 of 8
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

I think I would give up a body part before I gave up $200/yr for that card.  :-I

But isn't that easy for you, @ptatohed?  Lol Smiley Tongue 

Potato_Head_01.jpg  Potato_Head_02.jpg

In searching for those pics, I >found a song<  for you that you might enjoy (if you don't find it too creepy.)  There's even a version in spanish!  Smiley Surprised

All joking aside, I certainly get where you're coming from as a Team Cash Back loyalist.  These cards that redeem for travel points and perks are in a different niche from your favorites, but they are as lucrative or more-so for the right person once you get beyond the AF.  On the other hand, if the points or perks are not somewhere you'd be spending money anyway, I agree they can be a hole in your pocket.  In the case of the Aviator Silver, for that $199 AF, cardmembers who fly American even just a few times a year can claim:

• $50 annual credit on inflight WIFI purchases.  WIFI starts at $10 per flight.  An unlimited monthly plan goes for $50 per month for one device.
  • First Checked Bag free for cardholder and up to 8 companions. At $30 per first checked bag, that would be a value of up to $270 for every one-way segment flown.  For a family or even a couple who frequently travels, this benefit could pay for the AF and then some, on as little as one trip per year.  (That baggage cost applies each direction of a round trip fare.)
  • TSA Global Entry Credit ($100/5 years or average $20 value per year.)
  • $25 *daily* food and beverage credit.  Eight days of flights could recoup the AF alone.
  • If spend on the card is $20K annually ($1,666 monthly), cardholder earns (2) companion passes priced at $99 each.  Actual airfare minus $99 would be the potential savings annually.  Again, though, we'd be looking at hundreds of dollars value easily. 
  • Enhanced rewards earnings on AA Flights (3x) or hotels/car rentals (2x).
  • Convenience of (earlier) preferred boarding and premium services.   

So I think you can see how all of this would add up to more value than traditional cash back - if someone were able to use the credits easily and often.  Smiley Wink

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 6 of 8
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

But isn't that easy for you, @ptatohed?  Lol Smiley Tongue 

Potato_Head_01.jpg  Potato_Head_02.jpg

In searching for those pics, I >found a song<  for you that you might enjoy (if you don't find it too creepy.)  There's even a version in spanish!  Smiley Surprised

All joking aside, I certainly get where you're coming from as a Team Cash Back loyalist.  These cards that redeem for travel points and perks are in a different niche from your favorites, but they are as lucrative or more-so for the right person once you get beyond the AF.  On the other hand, if the points or perks are not somewhere you'd be spending money anyway, I agree they can be a hole in your pocket.  In the case of the Aviator Silver, for that $199 AF, cardmembers who fly American even just a few times a year can claim:

• $50 annual credit on inflight WIFI purchases.  WIFI starts at $10 per flight.  An unlimited monthly plan goes for $50 per month for one device.
  • First Checked Bag free for cardholder and up to 8 companions. At $30 per first checked bag, that would be a value of up to $270 for every one-way segment flown.  For a family or even a couple who frequently travels, this benefit could pay for the AF and then some, on as little as one trip per year.  (That baggage cost applies each direction of a round trip fare.)
  • TSA Global Entry Credit ($100/5 years or average $20 value per year.)
  • $25 *daily* food and beverage credit.  Eight days of flights could recoup the AF alone.
  • If spend on the card is $20K annually ($1,666 monthly), cardholder earns (2) companion passes priced at $99 each.  Actual airfare minus $99 would be the potential savings annually.  Again, though, we'd be looking at hundreds of dollars value easily. 
  • Enhanced rewards earnings on AA Flights (3x) or hotels/car rentals (2x).
  • Convenience of (earlier) preferred boarding and premium services.   

So I think you can see how all of this would add up to more value than traditional cash back - if someone were able to use the credits easily and often.  Smiley Wink

Thanks A_H.  Smiley Very Happy  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 7 of 8
GTS
Contributor

@Aim_High 

#My thoughts exactly. All my cards are Cash back but I am looking to get into miles as well. I travel 2-3 times minimum per year for work and when I book the flights though my employers travel portal I have the option of picking who I fly with. On my work travel profile it allows me to add all my membership #'s so I get the points on their dime for all business trips. I'm thinking that with those points and the ones that would earn through personal spend it would make my family vacations so much more affordable (with my DW and 4 kids).

FICO 8/9:

Chase FF WEMC-$25,200 CL
Chase IHG Premier WEMC-$16,700 CL
Amex BCP-$10,000 CL
PayPal cashback WMC-$8,000 Cl
RCU Platnum Visa-$5,000 CL
Cap1 Savor One WEMC-$5,000 CL
Disco It-$8,000 CL
Disco It-$5,200 CL
Cap1 Quicksilver WEMC-$3,400 CL

Citi Corporate MC-$5,000 CL
AU Citi AA Advantage-$30,000 CL
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.