Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a 0% balance transfer card and need advice

tag
fliphusker
Contributor

Looking for a 0% balance transfer card and need advice

I am seeking a balance transfer card with 0% APR for 15 plus months with zero balance transfer fees. I am sitting on about $4,200 total on my Discover and AMEX. I am not paying any interest on them as AMEX is in its first year and Discover I received 12 months no APR on new purchases. I have the money to pay them off but want to keep my money invested instead. Ya, I know, risky move. 

My FICO is pushing 800 with only 11% of utilization used. It will drop to under 10% for a FICO boost by the time I apply for a new card, just in case. 

I already have the Slate card and looking for the best option for a large credit line. 

Cards I already have: Citi double, AMEX every day, Chase Freedom, Slate, Chase Amazon, Barclays, Discover, and Nusenda.

I do not want to pay a balance transfer fee and looking for a long 0% APR with a high credit limit. I know the credit limit is dependant on many factors but looking at what others received for a data point.

Thanks in advance.  

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Looking for a 0% balance transfer card and need advice

If you want both a 15 month 0% APR and no BT fees then the BoA BankAmericard is probably your best option based on the cards you already have.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/bankamericard-credit-card/

Message 2 of 16
fliphusker
Contributor

That is one that I have checked out. Did not know what to expect for a credit line. If they start out low or high. My Slate started out at I think $2K. Would definitely like something over $3K if possible. Just do not want to apply for one and get like $1K. 

Message 3 of 16
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Pretty confident with your scores and current UTL you'll be good for at least $3k especially if income is solid. What do the limits on your current cards look like?

And for datapoints two comparable approvals I would think

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/BankAmericard-approval/m-p/5144355

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Bankamericard-Approval/m-p/5119074

Message 4 of 16
fliphusker
Contributor

Slate $3K

Disc $8.5K

Citi $6.2K

Freedom $2.4K

Nusenda $5K

Chase Amazon $3.7K

Barclasys $3.2K

Quicksilver $2.4K Oldest and quit asking for CLI as they want me to sue it more. 

AMEX $8.6K

I came late to the credit card game and my length of credit according to CK is only 2.6 years. I do not ask for CLI increases except Disc due to hard pulls. Not sure which of these cards actually do them, I know Disc does not. 

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi diamond preferred offers 21 mo 0APR balance transfers

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got approved for Wells Fargo Platinum Visa card with a $5000 limit with 0% APR for 15 months, I had a long relationship with WF and WF sent me a card previously but for 3 years i had no use for their card and didnt use it so they closed it about a year ago.

Now yesterday April 16th, 2018, i re-apply and not instant approval but after verification applied and got $5000 approval. There is a B/T fee with this card.

Another good card for B/t with your scores is Fifth Third Bank or First Tech credit union. First Tech will be quite generous in giving you upto 15k in SL and 0% for 12 months with no B/T fee. I m a member and if I can help becoming a member let me know. Not to forget Alliant Credit Union with their $10k SL, they have choice between 5/10/15k SL on their app for credit cards with 12 mo special offer of 0% APR B/T.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

B of A started DH and I at about $10k and $12k IIRC, but we did have some higher CL's. Scores and util weren't as good as yours. Was about 2 years ago I think. 

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, you've got a few Chase cards. I know Freedom and Amazon have purposes, but if you're not using the slate or aren't needing your whole limits on both Amazon and Freedom, you could move CL's around to get one of them to a bit better CL. (Not for the direct purpose of this thread but to have more higher CL's to increase odds of new lines getting higher SLs.)

Message 9 of 16
fliphusker
Contributor

Citi Diamond Preferred is out of the running-There is a balance transfer fee of either 5% or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.

Wells Fargo Platinum Visa-Same as above.

Fifth Third Bank-Same as above.

First Tech appears to be 12 months but meets other criteria. Will keep it in mind. 

Alliant also appears to be 12 months with 0% transfer fees. 

BankAmericard-Looks like their balance transfer meets my criteria. No connection to them so curious on the credit line. 

I will dig around and see if I can find data points on BOFA and their starting credit lines. I guess if lower credit lines I would probably go with one of the others.

I appreciate all the input from others. Thank you very much. 

Any other out there that I am missing?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.