Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a Chase Freedom CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for a Chase Freedom CLI

I have a few chase cards. I can give you some advice. My cards started out with decent limits like yours, I asked for a CLI on my cards. They are all hard pulls which I did not mind.
Because I use my cards a lot, I wanted a higher CL.
First, my husband also has a chase card however they refuse to give him a CLI. I honestly think because he rarely uses the card. His scores are decent.
I use my cards frequently and have asked for multiple increases and they have been very generous with me.

When asking for an increase don't give an amount, let the computer give you the CLI so you're not leaving anything on the table.
Message 11 of 21
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@KingAdrock wrote:

I'm hoping to get a CLI on it, preferably without an HP...

They can't access your credit files (HP) without your consent. 

I know that, I was asking what are the odds of a CLI with a soft pull. Seems with Chase those are still about as common as unicorns.
Message 12 of 21
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@KingAdrock wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KingAdrock wrote:

I know that, I was asking what are the odds of a CLI with a soft pull. Seems with Chase those are still about as common as unicorns.

I like that...very rare

It'll likely be a double pull (there was a thread about a year ago stating that and from my other research), and from personal experience from yesterday, they pulled EX and EQ for me (Oregon). 

Message 13 of 21
My2cents
Regular Contributor

I also have the old WaMu cards 1 has been stuck at 5k for 8 years and the 4K card has been stuck there for 7 years.  Even with good usage, no CLISmiley Sad

700 Club Member
Message 14 of 21
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@KingAdrock wrote:

My Discover is my highest CL at $19,500. Do you all think it would help to mention that to the CSR when I call in?

Nope.  Creditors do not simply match limits.  Limits are determined based on your credit profile and income versus the product's criteria.  Limits factor into Revolving Utilization which itself factors into Amount Owed.  Amounts Owed is just one of a number of factors for FICO scoring.  Score is just one consideration for a creditor.  You cannot simply rely on limits.  Getting a high limit card does not mean that all subsequent cards will also have high limits.  I've had several cards at limits like $30K $25K and have received new cards with limits of $5K, for example.

@KingAdrock wrote:

So I have a Chase Freedom card (was originally a WaMu) which has sat with a $7000 CL for years now.  I'm hoping to get a CLI on it, preferably without an HP, and an auto CLI is clearly not going to happen.

If you request a CLI it will be hard pull.  Some may have been able to slip through with a soft but you should expect an HP.  HP's are typically a small factor anyway.  If one hard pull has a significant impact then you have bigger problems elsewhere with your credit profile.  The impact of the hard pull in such cases is a symptom, not a cause.

@Anonymous wrote:
First, my husband also has a chase card however they refuse to give him a CLI. I honestly think because he rarely uses the card. His scores are decent.

It is never just about score.  It is also not just about usage despite the popularity of the usage meme.

Message 15 of 21
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@KingAdrock wrote:

My Discover is my highest CL at $19,500. Do you all think it would help to mention that to the CSR when I call in?

Nope.  Creditors do not simply match limits.  Limits are determined based on your credit profile and income versus the product's criteria.  Limits factor into Revolving Utilization which itself factors into Amount Owed.  Amounts Owed is just one of a number of factors for FICO scoring.  Score is just one consideration for a creditor.  You cannot simply rely on limits.  Getting a high limit card does not mean that all subsequent cards will also have high limits.  I've had several cards at limits like $30K $25K and have received new cards with limits of $5K, for example.

@KingAdrock wrote:

So I have a Chase Freedom card (was originally a WaMu) which has sat with a $7000 CL for years now.  I'm hoping to get a CLI on it, preferably without an HP, and an auto CLI is clearly not going to happen.

If you request a CLI it will be hard pull.  Some may have been able to slip through with a soft but you should expect an HP.  HP's are typically a small factor anyway.  If one hard pull has a significant impact then you have bigger problems elsewhere with your credit profile.  The impact of the hard pull in such cases is a symptom, not a cause.

@Anonymous wrote:

It is never just about score.  It is also not just about usage despite the popularity of the usage meme.

100% in agreeance

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@KingAdrock wrote:

I know this post is a few days ago but wanted to point out that this is incorrect in a sense.  When you have an account with them they can do a HP on you anytime they want.  You have already given them 'consent' when you opened the account.

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder why many credit card companies give credit limit increase when there isn't enough usuage to justify them. I started with $400.00 with Amazon Synchrony and after a few months, it blew to $5,000.

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Op I scanned all the posts so forgive me if you've already answered this but do you need your Slate? I'm asking becasue I had a CSP with the AF due next month. I decided to merge it with my freedom. It ook all of 2 minutes with no HP.

Message 19 of 21
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KingAdrock wrote:

I know this post is a few days ago but wanted to point out that this is incorrect in a sense.  When you have an account with them they can do a HP on you anytime they want.  You have already given them 'consent' when you opened the account.

I believe this is not correct either.

There's a difference between a consent for a HP and a consent for them to monitor your account. The consent for HP comes when you apply for credit, and in many cases, extension of additional credit. 

However, if you say no to a HP, or don't apply for new credit, even an existing creditor cannot do a HP. They can only do an SP for review processes. 

Some existing creditors are okay giving you additional credit without a further HP, some are adamant about a new HP. Chase is amongst the latter. 

That said, a consumer can always freeze their report and then keep pushing CLI buttons. In my experience, even existing lenders don't do a HP through a credit freeze. For e.g., Chase will come back and say there's a freeze and that I have to remove it if I want to go ahead with the CLI request. At that time, I can weigh in again (the cost of freeze removal, the indirect costs of the HP, vs. my gain with the CLI). Mostly, I decide against a CLI. 

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.