Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a Credit Card for Older Sister

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for a Credit Card for Older Sister

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

She is a perfect candiate for a CU.  Ficos are important but a CU might be likely to extend her some serious credit with that income and if she has a signficant savings/checking with them or other CD's or what not

Although I really don't understand if she has that kinda money/assets that she doesn't already have an established credit history....

The income and assets that I originally posted are household - not individual.

Message 11 of 24
celluloid17
Established Contributor

This may seem odd given that she's only 24, but perhaps the Chase AARP card would be a good fit for her, especially since she already has a relationship with Chase.  The AARP is a cashback card that gets 3% back on gas and at restaurants (fine dining to fast food) with no cap and 1% back on everything else:

http://www.aarpcreditcard.com/Default  (this link will get her a $100 sign-up bonus if she spends $500 within the first 3 months)

You don't have to be an AARP member (you just leave the membership number blank when applying).  There are people who are her age on this board with the card.  

If she can get over the fact that it's AARP, it's got a really useful rewards structure.

Message 12 of 24
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

She is a perfect candiate for a CU.  Ficos are important but a CU might be likely to extend her some serious credit with that income and if she has a signficant savings/checking with them or other CD's or what not

Although I really don't understand if she has that kinda money/assets that she doesn't already have an established credit history....

Exactly.  Try the Apple FCU.  And I agree on the assets part.  All of these other cards being recommended are meaningless however if she has horrible credit.  Keep in mind she was turned down for the VS card twice.

I added her to a credit card to help her credit out so she could get one.

Ok so you are including yourself and parents, etc in income/assets?  If that is the case then a whole different story.. Please correct me if I am wrong.

She needs to pull her FICOs and need more info and we can go from there

Is she got turned down for a VS cc she has some real issues on her report that need addressed.  The more we know the more we can help

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Exactly.  Try the Apple FCU.  And I agree on the assets part.  All of these other cards being recommended are meaningless however if she has horrible credit.  Keep in mind she was turned down for the VS card twice.

Ok so you are including yourself and parents, etc in income/assets?  If that is the case then a whole different story.. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, the income and assets include my parents, her's, and myself.

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

CC seems to be the only other one that is following what's been posted.  There is absolutely no reason to recommend an Amex card, a Chase card  or any major credito's card  until we know her credit scores .  That is the most important factor that we are missing.

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

She might be able to include your parents income on an application but that's only with certain creditors.  She definitely cannot include yours.

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@celluloid17 wrote:

This may seem odd given that she's only 24, but perhaps the Chase AARP card would be a good fit for her, especially since she already has a relationship with Chase.  The AARP is a cashback card that gets 3% back on gas and at restaurants (fine dining to fast food) with no cap and 1% back on everything else:

http://www.aarpcreditcard.com/Default  (this link will get her a $100 sign-up bonus if she spends $500 within the first 3 months)

You don't have to be an AARP member (you just leave the membership number blank when applying).  There are people who are her age on this board with the card.  

If she can get over the fact that it's AARP, it's got a really useful rewards structure.

I know that she won't care that it is AARP because:

1. It is a just credit card
  2. Everyone in our house already has an AARP card in our wallets (AARP Roadside Assistance from Allstate)
Message 17 of 24
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Do you sister/yourself and your family a favor and Pull her 3 Fico scores from this site for $60 dollars or whatever it is.. Being TU/EXP/EQ  .. We need to know what is going on with her credit before we can help.. Everything sounds nice and dandy, but without any information she is jsut going to be wasting HP's and doing more harm than good to herself is she apps away.  No CK scores either please

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

She might be able to include your parents income on an application but that's only with certain creditors.  She definitely cannot include yours.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

When filling out a credit card application it says, "Include all income available to you."   We have a shared account that my paycheck goes into therefore, my income is available to her.

However, if a creditor gives her an issue about my income and assets it barely affects anything.  It would take $8000 off income and $25000 off assets.

Message 19 of 24
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Also what is just HER income?  Lets just pretend you can't use parents or your income..  Also does she have say $50k in the bank or is that your parents money?

Bottom line if she can't get a VS credit card, her credit is most likely very bad and that needs to be addressed first and foremost.  Back to point of pulling the 3 reports and going from there if you would like help

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.