cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a a good everyday card and a travel card..any suggestions??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for a a good everyday card and a travel card..any suggestions??

Recently paid off about 15k combined CC & loan debt.

Goal Card is the Citi Costco Visa as I shop there fruquently especially when filling my Jeep up weekly at the gas pump.

Im interested in opening a good travel card and or a card that would benefit from my many meals & drinks out with friends and still be able to accumulate points or cash back rewards. I currently use  my Apple CC as my day to day but its only 2% back when using apple pay so it doesn't benefit me when going out to dinner. ANY SUGGESTIONS????

Scores are currently TU:697 EQ:678

Current Open Accounts /Total Balance Open 8.7K /24%Utilization

Apple CC 6kCL

MITFCU 2kCL

Discover It 2kCL

CareCredit 2.5K CL

Amazon CC 1k CL

Capital One QuickSilver Visa 2.2kCL

Capital One QuickSilver MC 2k CL

American Eagle CC 2.5CL (0 Balance)

Amex Everyday 1k CL (0 Balance)

Express Retail CC 2.5kCL (0 Balance)

Target Red Card 4kCL (0 Balance)

Nordstroms CC 2kCL (0 Balance)

BuyPower CC 850cl (0 Balance)

TJ Maxx CC 2.5kcl (0 Balance)

JetBlue CC 2.5cl (Closed/0 Balance)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Looking for a a good everyday card and a travel card..any suggestions??

Congrats on paying down a substantial part of your debt. That opens up more options for card apps.  

I presume you are using the Discover card for the 5% Dining category this quarter? If the Discover has a BT on it, have you checked to see whether you can get the 0% APR for 12 months on new purchases? That is a bonus you may be able to activate every 18 months.  

Are you using your ED card? With 20 swipes per month that earns 1.2 MR on non category spend, and for certain non-Costco grocery, would get more MR points. Has it been more than 60 days since your reduction of debts started reflecting in your scores? If so it might be helpful to ask AMEX for a 3x CLI on the EveryDay card. That would be a SP, no impact on your credit score.  

Which Amazon card do you have?

How many new cards did you open in the last 24 months? 

Are there any late payments on your credit report?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 9
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Navy Flagship is a great all around 2% Travel 3% card.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

Congrats on paying down a substantial part of your debt. That opens up more options for card apps.  

I presume you are using the Discover card for the 5% Dining category this quarter? If the Discover has a BT on it, have you checked to see whether you can get the 0% APR for 12 months on new purchases? That is a bonus you may be able to activate every 18 months.  

Are you using your ED card? With 20 swipes per month that earns 1.2 MR on non category spend, and for certain non-Costco grocery, would get more MR points. Has it been more than 60 days since your reduction of debts started reflecting in your scores? If so it might be helpful to ask AMEX for a 3x CLI on the EveryDay card. That would be a SP, no impact on your credit score.  

Which Amazon card do you have?

How many new cards did you open in the last 24 months? 

Are there any late payments on your credit report?

I haven't reached out to Discover about the BT but I definitely will take advantage of that and see if I can transfer over my higher apr balances from my Cap.One accounts.

I don't use my ED as much after I  paid it down about two months ago I haven't used it as I've been using my Apple CC. I have tried requesting a cli 3x but with no approval. I may give them a call directly if that might help. 

my Amazon card is just the store level CC currently I haven't been able to upgrade to the Visa.

I've only opened 2 cards over the last 24months. Apple CC and the CareCredit.

I did just lease a new car about 30-45 days ago that recently reported on my account as a misc. loan account.

I o my have one late payment from back in 2019 on my REDCARD. Everything else has been paid on time or before the due date.

Message 4 of 9
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

You might look into the bofa customize cash card, visa pride card, Suzy komen card. They all have a travel category, gas, dining. The base is 3% but with biz at bofa can reach 5.25%

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 5 of 9
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous   Just wanted to point out.....If the Citi Costco Anywhere is a goal card for you....that card is already 4% Gas, 3% Restaurant & Travel.  It also has no FTF which is perfect for Travel.

If you're looking for something in addition to that.....The US Bank Alt GO is a 4% Restaurant card with no FTF

If you're wanting a separate Travel card.....the Synovus Travel Rewards is a no FTF 5% Travel card, with a 3% Dynamic Earn category where can choose Restaurant, Gas, other categories. Also, when you redeem your points for additional Travel, you get 20% higher return.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Taurus22 wrote:

@Anonymous   Just wanted to point out.....If the Citi Costco Anywhere is a goal card for you....that card is already 4% Gas, 3% Restaurant & Travel.  It also has no FTF which is perfect for Travel.

If you're looking for something in addition to that.....The US Bank Alt GO is a 4% Restaurant card with no FTF

If you're wanting a separate Travel card.....the Synovus Travel Rewards is a no FTF 5% Travel card, with a 3% Dynamic Earn category where can choose Restaurant, Gas, other categories. Also, when you redeem your points for additional Travel, you get 20% higher return.

What are people seeing for an approved score for the Costco Visa? Is this something I could possibly go for currently with my score? 
thabks for the suggestions I haven't really though of those cards till you mentioned them.

thank you 

Message 7 of 9
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous   It would be a good idea to use the search bar in Approvals section to look for Citi Costco Anywhere. Look over the DP's they offer as a guide to make an educated decision....Here are a few that came up for me when I searched....

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Citi-Costco-Anywhere-Visa-Approval/m-p/6370119#M760462

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Costco-Anywhere-Citi-Approval/m-p/6292692#M739582

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Citi-Costco-anywhere-visa-approval-8-1K/m-p/6300557#M741548

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Citi-Approval-Spree-Costco-Anywhere-Visa-Signature-Approval/m-p/6302810#M742117

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Citi-Costco-Visa-Approval-SL-7700-00/m-p/6256111#M729806

Also, they tend to pull EQ from what I've seen....but it could also be dependent on your location. You can use this chart to see what bureau was pulled for others in your state.....This is also a good thread to bookmark for future use....

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Which-Report-Will-They-Pull-Part-II/td-p/6379773

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 8 of 9
Michizane
Regular Contributor

The PayPal Cashback MasterCard is cool, and I believe they are pretty generous with approvals (as opposed to other 2% cashback cards). This makes a great everyday/catch all card. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.