cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a good airline rewards card...

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Looking for a good airline rewards card...

Also, never realized this before, but BofA's Alaska Airlines is actually an excellent card.  

I was taking a look at their $99 companion fare and find it better than anyone else's without the usual litany of restrictions.  I recally last year seeing a sign-up bonus of about 40,000 miles during Q4.  

Message 11 of 42
HiLine
Blogger

@Mike_B03 wrote:

I just got an offer in the mail from AMEX for their "Green Card" which is actually a charge card and not a credit card (have to pay it in full every month). I don't mind that, but it seems that you get 1% back, so 25,000 points is worth $250. That would mean it would take roughly $125,000 - $150,000 spent to get a $1250 - $1500 ticket to Europe, which is horrible. The United Mileage card was $55,000 spent. Smiley Sad

The Amex Green offers a terrible reward structure. You'd be much better off getting a Premier Rewards Gold that offers a 50k MR points bonus, has bonus categories, and has point transfer partners. 

Message 12 of 42
HiLine
Blogger

@Open123 wrote:

Also, never realized this before, but BofA's Alaska Airlines is actually an excellent card.  

I was taking a look at their $99 companion fare and find it better than anyone else's without the usual litany of restrictions.  I recally last year seeing a sign-up bonus of about 40,000 miles during Q4.  

The Alaska Airlines card has easily the best companion ticket. The three things that aren't too great about this card is that the first year's annual fee is not waived, that it doesn't waive checked bag fees, and that the sign-up bonus is rather moderate: the 40k bonus requires you to spend $7.5k

Message 13 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

Many of the nice travel rewards card are issued by Chase.  CSP and UA explorer would be the best cards for me but since issued by Chase for the moment a no go. My recent credit extention is getting Chase very nervous Smiley Sad  So I got Barclays Arrival instead and like the card so far.  But this card does not offer the same possibilities as the CSP. If you travel internationally do not get the Citi AAdvantage..this card is killing me for the FTF and I stopped using it. Would be a great card for only domestic travel but useless on international travel unless they remove the FTF.  I have still hopes that this will happen one day Smiley Happy  

The Citi AA are good for the sign up bonuses (especially getting multiple card types, though the ability to do this has been curtailed), retention offers and sometimes limited time rewards offers (e.g. 3x on groceries, up to 2,500 points).  .  But not a great card for every day spend, and as you point out, still has the FTF so don't use abroad.

Message 14 of 42
HiLine
Blogger

@longtimelurker wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Many of the nice travel rewards card are issued by Chase.  CSP and UA explorer would be the best cards for me but since issued by Chase for the moment a no go. My recent credit extention is getting Chase very nervous Smiley Sad  So I got Barclays Arrival instead and like the card so far.  But this card does not offer the same possibilities as the CSP. If you travel internationally do not get the Citi AAdvantage..this card is killing me for the FTF and I stopped using it. Would be a great card for only domestic travel but useless on international travel unless they remove the FTF.  I have still hopes that this will happen one day Smiley Happy  

The Citi AA are good for the sign up bonuses (especially getting multiple card types, though the ability to do this has been curtailed), retention offers and sometimes limited time rewards offers (e.g. 3x on groceries, up to 2,500 points).  .  But not a great card for every day spend, and as you point out, still has the FTF so don't use abroad.

No airlines rewards cards are great for everyday spend really except for the transferable points type such as Chase Sapphire Preferred and American Express Premier Rewards Gold. Most standard airlines rewards cards offer 2 miles per dollar spent on the airline and 1 mile elsewhere. 

I think the best option right now is to get a Citi AA and a Barclays US Airways; after the merge the mileage programs will be merged as well, and you will have a boatload of miles in the largest airline in the world. 

Message 15 of 42
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@Mike_B03 wrote:

Is there a time frame for when I may be able to apply with Chase again? I had a few charge offs with them 7-8 years ago. I also bank with Chase and asked my banker about a line of credit and he was like "Yea that's not going to happen for a loong loong time due to your history with Chase). Smiley Sad

I had some CO's with Chase from '05 and was able to get a United MP Club card a few months ago.  YMMV    

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 16 of 42
Open123
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

I think the best option right now is to get a Citi AA and a Barclays US Airways; after the merge the mileage programs will be merged as well, and you will have a boatload of miles in the largest airline in the world. 

+1

I'm thinking they'll have sign-up bonus launch for a new co-branded card, much like the UA/Cont with the Explorer.  

Message 17 of 42
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

I recommend the Barclaycard Arrival World MC. They have an AF card with 40K bonus miles when you spend 1k in the first 90 days. That equates to $400 off your next travel reward. Plus, get 10% of your miles back when you redeem for travel. The $89 annual fee is waived for the first year.

They also have a no AF version of the card with 20K in bonus miles when you spend 1k in the first 90 days. That equates to $200 off your next travel reward. You also get 10% of your miles back when you redeem for travel. Hope this helps!!

Message 18 of 42
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

I would also add that if you have an inquiry to spare and the charge off is 8+ years you may want to apply for Chase. Just make sure everything is in order (no recent negatives, decent limits, low utilization, etc) If they auto deny I would try a few recons.
Message 19 of 42
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Lots of good info, thanks everyone. 

What does "MR" stand for, I've seen it mentioned several, is it "Member Rewards"? Also someone mentioned Lufthansa's rewards program goes through Barclay's? That would be good I think, my wife has a Barclay card and I'm an auth on it.

Really any of the Star Alliance airlines would be good...so any of these:

Which of these would be good to try for? Thanks again.

Message 20 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.