Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new card after starting mortgage

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Looking for a new card after starting mortgage

@NeoQuintessence wrote:

My current strategy I'm trying to make use of my wife for card slots as much as possible and double up on good ones.

Citi Custom Cash (currently using to pay $500 to trip each month)

Citi Custom Cash (wife) (Entertainment)

Citi Double Cash (General)

Citi Rewards+ (small purchases plus I have the 1 year promo for dining, but I will bump it back to Custom Cash after)

Citi Costco (sometimes use for gas or travel)

Chase Freedom Flex (rotating)

Discover (rotating)

Chase Freedom Unlimited (just for the SUB)

US Bank Cash+ (Utilities and TV)

Wife also has USB

And some store cards like Amazon and Best Buy

I'm trying to plan for when the dining promo runs out on Rewards+ and I'd like to maximize gas at 5% at least and have somewhere for entertainment to go. Eventually I'd like CSP when we have time to travel. 

Seems to me you don't need any more cash back cards, but if you want to get 5% on gas, I would recommend the Comenity AAA Travel Advantage, which gives you 5% on gas/ev, and 3% on groceries, dining, travel, and AAA purchases.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 11 of 15
SpaceCityCCuser
Regular Contributor

@NeoQuintessence wrote:

My wife and I are almost done closing on a house, and as we have some additional categories I'd like to maximize, I'm trying to figure out when it would be best to try for a new card.  Obviously, the mortgage process put in at least 1 hard pull, and I do have 6 other hard pulls in the last 12 months, and a couple more in the year before that.  Overall new accounts are 3/6, 4/12, 5/24.  And does the mortgage (besides the pull) factor much into the lender's decision as long as it is paid on time and positively impacts the FICO scores?

With all that being said, I'm looking at the SoFi card as I can do that first year for 3% as we will have a lot of miscellaneous expenses, so having a general card like that will be nice (we have accounts with them if that helps.) 

I've also been looking into the Elan Max Cash card for some bills and/or the entertainment category.  I already have the US Bank Cash+ card.

Thanks for any insight.

If you get the SoFi, you could PC the Double Cash to yet another Custom Cash and the SoFi would take over the Double Cash role.

Last Signature Update: 03/21/2024

Credit Age:
Approvals (Chase 5/24 not counting business cards):
Inquiries:

Financial Institutions:

Cards on the Radar:
2 plus years away cards:
Message 12 of 15
NeoQuintessence

That's a good idea. I had thought about that after maybe a Premier at some point, but I could have that create the double cash again. 

Message 13 of 15
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Another awesome card is the Redstone FCU Visa Signature.

5% rest's and gas.  3% groc, discount, wholesale, utils, phone, streaming.  1.5% else.  Super impressive rewards structure!  

https://www.redfcu.org/personal/credits-cards/visa-signature/

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 14 of 15
NeoQuintessence

It's definitely impressive, but will it get nerfed?  I'm concerned that if I use a spot for the card and it doesn't work out, then I set myself back.  It still might be worth trying at the end of a spree before gardening. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.