Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for a new card

So i recently got approved for an Amex charg card. i love it its great.

I only have one other credit card. and it has a very low limit 500 ...

i have had this card going on 4 years i dont want to close it because of the length i have.

its at 0 balance, but because its one of those rebuild credit cards i have high intrest rate. i plan on keeping this card open until my credit gets strong enough to be able to handle closing this account.

My question Finally .... (sorry guys)

Im looking to get a new revolver card. later this year .i want a card with great perks. just not sure what i should look into.

I dont want an amex revolver.  my scores. as of this month .  tu 702 ex 684 equi 680

any suggestions ?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Looking for a new card

Where did you get those 3 scores from?

Define "perks" for you. What does that mean? What do you want?

And don't worry about high APRs if you don't plan on keeping a balance, which you really shouldn't.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you would be a great candidate for either the Discover More or Chase Freedom!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

by perks i mean things like cash back on everyday stuff like gas and groceries or points

something with a respectable rewards program. i was looking into my credit union for a card but the rewards suck. 

i got my scores from the individual CR agency.  ex... TU score came from TU . so forth ...

i just want to be able to get a card use it rack up points. forget about them and take a nice vacation in a year and i want most of it paid by points.

Message 4 of 7
FrugalRican
Blogger

The best way to do that might be the Chase Freedom/Checking combo, but to be honest, you might not even know what your real scores are.

The Discover is a decent second place. There is also the Bank of Americard (whatever it's called) that is nice as well.

If you went to the individual websites for the scores, they probably sold you their own scores and not FICO.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 5 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

by perks i mean things like cash back on everyday stuff like gas and groceries or points

something with a respectable rewards program. i was looking into my credit union for a card but the rewards suck. 

i got my scores from the individual CR agency.  ex... TU score came from TU . so forth ...

i just want to be able to get a card use it rack up points. forget about them and take a nice vacation in a year and i want most of it paid by points.

It's a certainty that the TU and EX scores are not FICO's. No one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU (PSECU) in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myFICO.

At one time you could also purchase your Transunion score at transunioncs.com but no more. The TU site sells VantageScores and these scores are not used by most lenders and so in my opinion are unreliable.

Wal Mart now offers a TU08 score to those who have their store card and the Discover version.

Equifax will still sell you a FICO score found here: www.equifax.com/web-myfico-products/ But you have to be careful at the EQ website. EQ also sells thir own "Equifax Credit Score" which is not an EQ FICO score and is not used by any lenders.

Message 6 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@FrugalRican wrote:

The best way to do that might be the Chase Freedom/Checking combo, but to be honest, you might not even know what your real scores are.

The Discover is a decent second place. There is also the Bank of Americard (whatever it's called) that is nice as well.

If you went to the individual websites for the scores, they probably sold you their own scores and not FICO.

I think both the Discover More and Freedom are good choices... 

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.