cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice - how many cc's and which?

tag
suliabryon
Established Member

Looking for advice - how many cc's and which?

Hello everyone,

Here is the situation: my husband and I have only one cc, a Chase Rewards from 2005 and that has (until very recently) pretty much always carried a high utilization balance. However, reading these boards has taught me the importance of low utilization and the HUGE effect it can have on your credit. Last year, the husband and I employed the services of one of those credit counselor folks who basically pull your credit reports for you, tell you everything bad on them, and then send out dispute letters and whatnot to try and clean things up. Well, she was happy to take our money, but repeated phone calls over weeks and then months yielded little result, so I found these boards and decided to go on our credit journey alone.

We have finally gotten to a point where that Chase card is paid down to below 30% (from about 90%) and I'm anticipating a fairly sizable bump in our credit scores after it reports at the end of this month, and then I plan on applying for a couple of new cards. We need more credit for higher utilization, and we've been eyeing the Delta Skymiles Amex for a couple of years now. (The husband travels to Japan every summer for three weeks and such a long trip is so much nicer in business class. The skymiles card can help us build up more miles to do that more often, hopefully!)

We've also both joined Scorewatch here. His Eq myFico score is currently 650, and mine is 639. Hoping to see those up in the 670-80's after Chase reports. We have two paid collections on our reports that were SUPPOSED to be removed when we paid them off, but the collection agency didn't follow through and do so, they just updated them as "paid". Smiley Sad I didn't know enough at the time and only got a verbal agreement over the phone when I paid them. They also both say "disputed" on our report, thanks to the letters that woman we hired sent out last year. I'm not sure where to go from here with them. The company for both of them is Professional Credit Services, and I can't seem to find a contact e-mail for them. Both were medical related - hospital bill from March 2012, and a dermatology bill from September 2011.  But the real baddie is a CO from BoA from in July of 2012. (Paid, but settled for a lesser amount when we did so. Again, I had no idea about the fien details of these things when that went down, or we would have handled it entirely differently.) I sent a GW letter last year and was assigned a caseworker, who basically said "too bad" and "it'll drop off in 7 years". Weirdly, it is showing up on the Equifax report, but not my Experian report (haven't checked the husband's to see if it is showing up on his). I was only an authorized user on the account, so maybe they reported it to his and not mine? But it shows up on both of our Eq reports.

Anyway, I am hoping the new lower utilization will give our scores a good bump, and we can apply for that Amex card next month. I'd also like to apply for at least one other while doing the HP. Any suggestions? I've thought about Barclay because of the free credit report, but I've heard they do multiple HP, and randomly do HP throughout the year?? Not thrilled with that idea.

Also, on the myFico simulator, it says the best thing my husband can do to improve his credit is get a higher utilization, and on mine, it says "open a new credit card". Should I apply as the main applicant, and just add him as an authorized user? Should I do one card, and he the other? What is the best way to proceed? I should also mention that he (my husband) is listed as an AU on two of his father's very high limit cc's (20k+), which have less than 10% utilization, yet his simulator still wants his lowered...probably because it hasn't been updated yet to show we paid our Chase card way down.

Starting Scores (4/1/2014): Mine 654 Ex/639 Eq/ 641 TU DH 650 Eq
Current (4/25/2014): Mine 654 Ex/734 Eq/641 TU
Gardening until April 30th, 2015.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Shelly313
New Contributor

Re: Looking for advice - how many cc's and which?

@suliabryon wrote:

Hello everyone,

Here is the situation: my husband and I have only one cc, a Chase Rewards from 2005 and that has (until very recently) pretty much always carried a high utilization balance. However, reading these boards has taught me the importance of low utilization and the HUGE effect it can have on your credit. Last year, the husband and I employed the services of one of those credit counselor folks who basically pull your credit reports for you, tell you everything bad on them, and then send out dispute letters and whatnot to try and clean things up. Well, she was happy to take our money, but repeated phone calls over weeks and then months yielded little result, so I found these boards and decided to go on our credit journey alone.

We have finally gotten to a point where that Chase card is paid down to below 30% (from about 90%) and I'm anticipating a fairly sizable bump in our credit scores after it reports at the end of this month, and then I plan on applying for a couple of new cards. We need more credit for higher utilization, and we've been eyeing the Delta Skymiles Amex for a couple of years now. (The husband travels to Japan every summer for three weeks and such a long trip is so much nicer in business class. The skymiles card can help us build up more miles to do that more often, hopefully!)

We've also both joined Scorewatch here. His Eq myFico score is currently 650, and mine is 639. Hoping to see those up in the 670-80's after Chase reports. We have two paid collections on our reports that were SUPPOSED to be removed when we paid them off, but the collection agency didn't follow through and do so, they just updated them as "paid". Smiley Sad I didn't know enough at the time and only got a verbal agreement over the phone when I paid them. They also both say "disputed" on our report, thanks to the letters that woman we hired sent out last year. I'm not sure where to go from here with them. The company for both of them is Professional Credit Services, and I can't seem to find a contact e-mail for them. Both were medical related - hospital bill from March 2012, and a dermatology bill from September 2011.  But the real baddie is a CO from BoA from in July of 2012. (Paid, but settled for a lesser amount when we did so. Again, I had no idea about the fien details of these things when that went down, or we would have handled it entirely differently.) I sent a GW letter last year and was assigned a caseworker, who basically said "too bad" and "it'll drop off in 7 years". Weirdly, it is showing up on the Equifax report, but not my Experian report (haven't checked the husband's to see if it is showing up on his). I was only an authorized user on the account, so maybe they reported it to his and not mine? But it shows up on both of our Eq reports.

Anyway, I am hoping the new lower utilization will give our scores a good bump, and we can apply for that Amex card next month. I'd also like to apply for at least one other while doing the HP. Any suggestions? I've thought about Barclay because of the free credit report, but I've heard they do multiple HP, and randomly do HP throughout the year?? Not thrilled with that idea.

Also, on the myFico simulator, it says the best thing my husband can do to improve his credit is get a higher utilization, and on mine, it says "open a new credit card". Should I apply as the main applicant, and just add him as an authorized user? Should I do one card, and he the other? What is the best way to proceed? I should also mention that he (my husband) is listed as an AU on two of his father's very high limit cc's (20k+), which have less than 10% utilization, yet his simulator still wants his lowered...probably because it hasn't been updated yet to show we paid our Chase card way down.

Hi Suliabryon,

welcome me to the forums!  I would wait a little longer on the Amex.  You might want your credit scores to be hire, and I'm not sure if they are C/O friendly Especially with it being recent.

I have a Barclays card and they do soft pulls (so do other credit card companies) no one can do a hard pull without your verbal consent.  They check your  TU (but could check another credit agency), and I had a 608 with 1 paid and 1 unpaid collection with some charge offs.  I got the NFL Visa card.  They gave me 500 limit, and in 5 months got an auto increase to 2 grand.  So far they've been great!

Started Gardening 4/3/2014

Current Score: (04/2014) EX: 629 I TU: 650 I EQ: 654

In my Wallet:
Barclays NFL: $2000 I VS: $700 I Discover: $1600 I AU: Amex ED $2000
Message 2 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Welcome.

1. Dispute those baddies again, just because it's been disputed before doesn't mean it can't be disputed again... dispute as agreed for deletion after payment.

pull all your reports for free through the annual credit report or possibly just going straight to dispute on each credit agency site.

2. 3. check barclay as other poster said for pre-qual. offers too... if you get congrats message then you should apply... if not, do not... search here for that pre-qual. link.

3. check capitalone.com for pre-qual offers for each of you to get your own credit cards and don't add eachother to eachothers.

4. check discover for pre-qual offer also... again I would say each of you and if you both get one don't add eachother but if only 1 of you gets it, then add the other.

but start with getting those baddies disputed!

Message 3 of 14
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I think that AMEX is still a bit out of your reach at the moment. AMEX likes to see good scores but they also want at least 1 year of history managing 2 credit cards. Those recent baddies on your reports will really hurt you with AMEX.

I would also try and get your UTI below 10% before you app if at all possible. Under 30% is okay but under 10% is MUCH better.

If you shop at Walmart at all, that is the first card I would recommend that you app for. I started out 18 months ago with a Walmart card that had a $500 CL. It was later upgraded to a Walmart/Discover card and my CL is now $6000. The Walmart card is managed by GE and they are very generous with CLIs as you can see by my experience. You also get a free TU FICO score once a month after signing up for electronic billing.

Another card you might consider apping for is the Discover IT CC. They seem just a bit easier to get than an AMEX or Chase card.

You should try and get 2 CCs now and then wait for at least 6 months and apply for another one or two cards. Both you and your husband should have 4 to 8 credit cards when you are done with your credit building journey.

What is the current credit line on your Chase Rewards card?

You should keep you and your husband's credit separate. You need to app for your own cards and he needs to app for his cards.

The only thing a husband and wife should share are mortgages and maybe auto loans but everything else should be separate.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 4 of 14
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

And for flights to Japan I would look into United or AA over Delta. Delta just isn't a great choice for international flights (or domestic either)

Message 5 of 14
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear about your credit troubles. No one can fix your credit troubles but you. You made them and you must work to repair them--no agency can do for you what you can't do for yourself. I would definitely hold off on that AMEX application until you GW those collections and that charge off. AMEX doesn't like to see any of those things and you have them all. I just don't think your credit is ready to take that kind of a hit as it will surely lead to a denial. Please please continue to GW those collections. If they are paid as you said, you should keep sending the company letters until they respond and remove it.

I personally don't think you should be applying for any credit right now. Work on cleaning up your report and getting your UTL to 10% before applying.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 6 of 14
suliabryon
Established Member

Wow, thanks for the replies everyone. I will follow your advice and keep working on those GW letters. It is a little disheartening, but the wisdom on these boards has already helped out a lot, and I'll continue with that in mind. Part of the problem is, I can't seem to find contact info for Professional Credit Services (the collection agency for both of those paid collections). But I'll keep looking. As for BoA and the CO - I'm not even sure what to do with that. They were so adamant the last time I contacted them. I guess it's try and try again.

As far as the trips to Japan and Delta - they are the ONLY direct flight from PDX to Japan, and have been for several years. The husband has done the one-stop flights before, and it turns a 10 hour international flight into a 14 hour international flight. He isn't interested in doing the one-stop flights anymore unless he has no other choice. So, Delta it is, at least for now. 

maiden_girl - I do not expect anyone else to fix my credit problems. It was very clear very quickly that the woman wasn't doing anything we couldn't do ourselves, simply by following the advice on these forums. I'm not expecting someone to magically repair anything for me, just to be clear. The utilization should be under 10% by next month. Two at the most. 

The Chase card has a $1500 limit.

Message 7 of 14
suliabryon
Established Member

Sent a GW letter to the CA with the two paid collections today. *fingers crossed* Also composing a new GW letter to BoA. Not a lot of hope they will budge, but it never hurts to try.

The good news is, that CO doesn't show on my Experian report, so I should be able to qualify for that Delta Skymiles Amex after we get our utilization down and hopefully those two collections get deleted. We shall see!

Message 8 of 14
rwest898
Established Member

I am also new to the forum but I would also recommend Barclays.  I started off with Barclays NFL with a $500 cl and now after 1 year it is up to $3700.  I also have the Barclay Rewards.  Good luck with what you decide.

My Wallet: Barclay NFL $3700/Barclay Rewards MC $1500/Discover IT $1600/Wells Fargo Visa $1000/USAA Classic Visa $1000/Capital One QS $300/Victoria Secret $1950/Express Next $750/NFCU $7000/HSN $1400/Amex Delta $1000/CCCU $2000
Message 9 of 14
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I still think that both you and your husband should app for Walmart cards RIGHT NOW! Well...After your paydown posts on the Chase card. Having two credit cards will go a long way in helping you to establish history. The starting credit lines might be low but like I stated earlier, Walmart is really good with CLIs.

You will have a really hard time getting an AMEX card without having history with at LEAST two cards for one year.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.