Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice

tag
CommanderCody
New Contributor

Looking for advice

I have two cap1 cards that I believe to be in a very tiny bucket(plat PC to qs with 950cl and qs1 with 500cl, steps over). Considering SD both, close both and app for new card(s) or combine and SD it and app. What are the pros and cons for these options? Other options?

I've read somewhere cap1 will only let you have two cards. Also, I'm at 5/24, so do closed accounts count or would that open chase back up to me?

FAKOs were in the 500 range when I got the cap1 cards. Was checking FICO back then. You guys have taught me better now. Since then, removed 3 collections obtained Disco and CF with cls 3-4x higher. Current FICOs 650-660.

Not planning to app for at least a few months, if at all, while scores continue to build.

So, what do you think I should do with cap1?

Thanks for the help.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Looking for advice

Going to send this to the main CC forum for better coverage for you.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

closing them won't do anything to 5/24, so Chase is still out of question.

if you don't use those card, at least consider closing qs1, since it does have a AF and won't impact your uti much with a tiny cl.

Message 3 of 7
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Don't ever sock-drawer a QS1. It should be used, combined, or closed. In your case, I'd combine into the QS and feel free to SD the combined card.

Applications for the Secured Mastercard, Platinum, Platinum Preferred, Journey, and QuicksilverOne will be denied if you have two or more Capital One cards.

Applications for the Savor, SavorOne, Venture, VentureOne, Quicksilver, and Spark cards will be denied if you have five or more Capital One cards.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CommanderCody wrote:
I have two cap1 cards that I believe to be in a very tiny bucket(plat PC to qs with 950cl and qs1 with 500cl, steps over). Considering SD both, close both and app for new card(s) or combine and SD it and app. What are the pros and cons for these options? Other options?

I've read somewhere cap1 will only let you have two cards. Also, I'm at 5/24, so do closed accounts count or would that open chase back up to me?

FAKOs were in the 500 range when I got the cap1 cards. Was checking FICO back then. You guys have taught me better now. Since then, removed 3 collections obtained Disco and CF with cls 3-4x higher. Current FICOs 650-660.

Not planning to app for at least a few months, if at all, while scores continue to build.

So, what do you think I should do with cap1?

Thanks for the help.

Option 4 - Combine, SD and don't app. You should choose keeper CCs based on matching rewards with your spending, none of Cap One cards offer anything special, especially for 3 HPs, there are better options out there at every level of their offering.

Message 5 of 7
CommanderCody
New Contributor

I think I kinda like this option better. It will leave room for another cap1 later, although I'm not sure I want another one and would probably just be a slightly higher bucket.

Am I understanding it right, chase counts a closed account in the 5/24 if it opened in less than 24 months?
Message 6 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@CommanderCody wrote:
I think I kinda like this option better. It will leave room for another cap1 later, although I'm not sure I want another one and would probably just be a slightly higher bucket.

Am I understanding it right, chase counts a closed account in the 5/24 if it opened in less than 24 months?

Yes, any revolving account opened in the past 24 months. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.