cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for best CC for best approval and good for credit building?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for best CC for best approval and good for credit building?

I'm currently a 664 FICO with Experian.
I plan to apply for another credit card to get a higher limit and balance my total utilization on my accounts.

I have a total utilization of 68% based off of 2 cards of a total CL of $3,500.

Which card suits best for me or what websites offer the most accurate approval odds. I just dont want a hard inquiry on my credit and drop my score.
10 REPLIES 10
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Looking for best CC for best approval and good for credit building?

@Anonymous wrote:
. I just dont want a hard inquiry on my credit and drop my score.

To avoid a hp and possibly get a MasterCard you could try the SCT through Comenity bank ie. Ulta (mastercard), Ann Taylor (MC), etc.  Or for one hp with a possible MC from Walmart or Sam's club (Synchrony bank).  But I would first check Discover pre-qual and Amex pre-qual (read the rates and terms for a solid APR).  Now if you want Capital One and you are pre-qualified that's an instant 3x's HP.  A lot of the big banks have the pre-qual links you can find online.  Search for Comenity to see what are the easier store cards that offer the mastercard but remember, there is no guarantee it will be a mastercard....it's the only way that I know of to pick up a tl without a hardpull (synchrony QVC is one exception I do know of but it's just a storecard, not useful anywhere else but it was a form of SCT).  Others will chime in too with solid advice.  Good Luck!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 2 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I plan to apply for another credit card to get a higher limit and balance my total utilization on my accounts.

Which card suits best for me or what websites offer the most accurate approval odds. I just dont want a hard inquiry on my credit and drop my score.

Hi and welcome to the forums 

When your utilization is already high, it's much harder to get approved for another card 

There is no website associated with credit monitoring that can give you "accurate odds". They get paid to peddle cards. You can safely ignore those recommendations. 

Prequals and preapprovals directly from lender website tend to be better indicators of your approval chances 

As far as which card, we dont know enough about your profile to answer that. We would need to know what's holding your score low

For example, if you have BK on your file, some lenders may be out of the running. Do you have any charge offs? Lates and collections?

Which cards do you have?   

Also, we'd need to know what are you looking for in a card, what you're spending your money on etc 

If it's just for utilization purposes, you already have two low limit cards with high utilization. You should probably work on paying your cards down before you attempt applying for another card.

That is what would increase your chances of approval, not some website recommendation. 

Message 3 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi and welcome to the forums 

When your utilization is already high, it's much harder to get approved for another card 

There is no website associated with credit monitoring that can give you "accurate odds". They get paid to peddle cards. You can safely ignore those recommendations. 

Prequals and preapprovals directly from lender website tend to be better indicators of your approval chances 

As far as which card, we dont know enough about your profile to answer that. We would need to know what's holding your score low

For example, if you have BK on your file, some lenders may be out of the running. Do you have any charge offs? Lates and collections?

Which cards do you have?   

Also, we'd need to know what are you looking for in a card, what you're spending your money on etc 

If it's just for utilization purposes, you already have two low limit cards with high utilization. You should probably work on paying your cards down before you attempt applying for another card.

That is what would increase your chances of approval, not some website recommendation. 

^^this

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi OP

In order to increase your odds of approval, work on getting your UT to less than 8.9%. Once you have accomplished this, you will begin to see an increase in scores as long as there are no baddies on your CR. Also, any CC you apply for will be a HP unless you’re already in the AmX family. 

So what are your TU & EQ FICO scores?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

To avoid a hp and possibly get a MasterCard you could try the SCT through Comenity bank ie. Ulta (mastercard), Ann Taylor (MC), etc.  Or for one hp with a possible MC from Walmart or Sam's club (Synchrony bank).  

Does SCT still work?   I thought there was a thread showing it doesn't.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

lol I get a chuckle every time I look at those sites. "You have very good approval odds for the insertcard here"....Well, I should hope so, considering that I already have it.

If these were actual recommendations, you would think that sites like Credit Karma, Experian, and the rest would filter out the duplicates since they have access to what cards are reporting for you.

EDIT: just noticed that CK lets you manually match the cards you have, so they are excluded from recommendations.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

To avoid a hp and possibly get a MasterCard you could try the SCT through Comenity bank ie. Ulta (mastercard), Ann Taylor (MC), etc.  Or for one hp with a possible MC from Walmart or Sam's club (Synchrony bank).  

Does SCT still work?   I thought there was a thread showing it doesn't.

Some people still manage to pull off SCT but it’s nowhere near as guaranteed as it was before. I wouldn’t try it unless you actually would be okay with taking a HP for that particular card. 

Message 8 of 11
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

OP, in addition to the great questions asked above, I'd like to know how old your two cards are.

You should really have each card at 28.9% or below before applying. If you're paying interest, bring the balances to 27% so the next month's interest doesn't bump you back over the threshold.

You might want to go a step further and bring yourself to AZEO (all zero except one). To do that, report a small balance on one card ($5 to $25) with the other card reporting zero.

AZEO is generally reserved for important credit applications or score testing. Card apps aren't generally "important" apps, i.e. the 28.9% mentioned above is usually good. But I see your case as an exception. You have a low score that can probably be bumped by quite a bit simply by paying down your balances. I'd take advantage of that as it could make the difference between a nice card and a yawner.

LTL, the shopping cart trick has been dead since late last year. You can still follow the method, but a hard pull will result.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are recent SP approvals in the SCT is dead thread that seem to suggest it’s YEMV. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.