Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for cash rewards Mastercard with no FTF

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for cash rewards Mastercard with no FTF

Hi, 

I'm looking to find a Mastercard (preferably World or World Elite but not really critical, but it does need to be a Mastercard) with no foreign transaction fees which charge the actual Mastercard daily published rate, not some padded rate where they hide the fee in their own rate.  I would prefer not to pay an AF for the card, and would like cashback as opposed to air miles, hotel points, car points etc. that I probably wouldn't end up using.

I have good credit (typically high 700's to low 800's) so shouldn't have difficulty getting approved. I'm in California, and spend a lot of time in Canada, in case that makes a difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for cash rewards Mastercard with no FTF

I think your best bet would be to get a CapitalOne Quicksilver MC, instead of Visa. 

There aren't a lot of Mastercards with no Foreign Transaction Fee to begin with, and wanting direct cash-back on top of it limits the selection even further.

Alternatively, if you get in with Navy Federal CU, you can get most of their cards in Visa or MC, and you could get their Cash Rewards as an MC (all NFCU cards have no FTF).

Message 2 of 17
ddemari
Super Contributor

I was thinking that NFCU would be a good bet for OP as you can chose if you want your card to be a visa or mastercard for their products.

but you would have join either by being eligible or going through the navy league. 

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa Signature then PC to WMC. Hvent seen many world elite BOA cards.  But its not really cash rewards per se.

USAA, or Penfed ???  Probably a credit union card?

Can you apply for a quicksilver mastercard? I know you could go for a qs1 but that has an AF.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa Signature then PC to WMC. Hvent seen many world elite BOA cards.  But its not really cash rewards per se.

USAA, or Penfed ???  Probably a credit union card?

Can you apply for a quicksilver mastercard? I know you could go for a qs1 but that has an AF.

I'm not really sure, but people have PC'd their QS1's into QS MC so I imagine it's possible. Might need to apply over the phone and specify that you want a Mastercard, not a Visa.

Message 5 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, 

I'm looking to find a Mastercard (preferably World or World Elite but not really critical, but it does need to be a Mastercard) with no foreign transaction fees which charge the actual Mastercard daily published rate, not some padded rate where they hide the fee in their own rate.  I would prefer not to pay an AF for the card, and would like cashback as opposed to air miles, hotel points, car points etc. that I probably wouldn't end up using.

I have good credit (typically high 700's to low 800's) so shouldn't have difficulty getting approved. I'm in California, and spend a lot of time in Canada, in case that makes a difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

The answer to your question is Capital One Quicksilver.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 17
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, 

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

If you have a Sam's Club membership, the Sam's Club MC has no FTF.   You could also try applying for the QS1 (issued as a MC) and then PC that to the regular QS (remains a MC).  I was able to PC my VentureOne to a QS before my first statement even posted, so you might be able to do that quickly.   If you outright app for QS, you'll get a Visa.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 17
creditfan
Established Contributor

@ddemari wrote:

I was thinking that NFCU would be a good bet for OP as you can chose if you want your card to be a visa or mastercard for their products.

but you would have join either by being eligible or going through the navy league. 

I'm glad I saw this post from you

thank you

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know of only two which might meet your needs. The quicksilver from cap 1 now has a WEMC option which is likely to be your best bet. The second is the Saks Fifth Avenue SaksFirst WEMC which also has no FTF. The catch with the SaksFirst is that the rewards are in the form of gift cards redeemable only at Saks and it's actually two accounts and you'll have two hard pulls.
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since op is in California, are any JCB cards that match his needs? Being from Florida I don't keep tabs on JCB.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.