cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for recommendations for a "catch-all" 1.5%+ cash rewards card. Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for recommendations for a "catch-all" 1.5%+ cash rewards card. Help!

Hello everyone! I'm looking for a cash rewards "catch-all" card that can do better than 1% to apply for for purchases that fall in between my rotating category cards (and my cards that have higher cash back for certain purchases like gas/grocery). I'd also like to increase my CL in general. I've looked at a few and seen mixed reviews, so I wanted to get a second opinion on which of these might be the best to go with based on personal experiences from users here.

Cards I'm currently considering:

• Citi Double Cash
  • US Bank Cash+
  • Capital One QS
  • Wells Cash Wise

I'm wondering if any of these banks more likely to offer a higher CL than others? Or if any have proven to be a hassle to own or manage (poor Customer Service, bad web-based payment UI/system, frustratingly aggressive fraud protection)? Should establishing a relationship with any of these banks be considered as part of the equation? That kinda stuff. I'm also very much open to any other cards that might be recommended in that 1.5%+ CB space.

Current cards:

• Chase Freedom
  • CSP
  • AmEx Plat
  • BoA Cash Rewards
  • Wells Plat
  • Discover It

Random points of information: I am carrying no balances on any card, perfect payment history. I've been satisfied with all of the cards, though I will say Chase, Discover and AmEx's web portals are clearly a cut above the others. I've applied for no new cards since the fall of 2017, so assume inquiries won't be an issue. FICO is around 810 (thanks to great past guidance from this forum!), so I don't expect approval to be an issue.

Additional note: Not looking for any cards with an annual fee. 

So yea, I guess I'm really just looking for any personal recommendations for or against based on experiences.

Thank you in advance. 

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Looking for recommendations for a "catch-all" 1.5%+ cash rewards card. Help!

Other options:

Chase Freedom Unlimited

BofA Travel or Premium Rewards

Amex Blue Business Plus

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

ld go with DCRe: Looking for recommendations for a "catch-all" 1.5%+ cash rewards card. Help!

I woud go with DC, 2% on everything with no cap, could be even higher if you get a premier and reward+ down the road. Decent CL, easy to manage.

Message 3 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for recommendations for a "catch-all" 1.5%+ cash rewards card. Help!

Thank you for the response.

I was looking to actively stay away from Chase for now. My 5/24 limit with Chase is up next year, so my plan is to downgrade my CSP to a CFU and pick up a CSR when I am again eligible a Chase signup bonus. 

Will have a look at the AmEx for sure.

Additional note: Not looking to add another card with an annual fee, so BoA Premium is out. Apologies for not clarifying that earlier. I'll amend my first post accordingly.

Message 4 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Citi Double Cash and PayPal Cashback are the two most popular general spend cards around here. Citi is generally more conservative but sometimes they really surprise people with limits while PayPal is backed by Synchrony and it's not hard to grow Synchrony accounts like weeds. 

PayPal has no foreign transaction fees and no minimum redemption threshold but has no app, requires a PayPal account to redeem rewards into (which then can get sent to your checking account if you wish), and APRs range from 21.49%-28.49% so you definitely want to pay in full. 

Citi has a foreign transaction fee of 3% and a $25 minimum redemption threshold for statement credit and has a quirky 1% when you buy, 1% when you pay scheme that some don't like. If you ever get into Citi's travel cards, the cash back can be converted to Citi ThankYou Points which makes the card a bit more flexible. Citi also has a great app and APRs range from 15.49%-25.49%. 

There are many credit union card options in the 1.5-2% range as well. 

I wouldn't get Cash+ for a general spend card since that will just be 1% on non-category purchases. 

Message 5 of 38
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the response.

I was looking to actively stay away from Chase for now. My 5/24 limit with Chase is up next year, so my plan is to downgrade my CSP to a CFU and pick up a CSR when I am again eligible a Chase signup bonus. 

Will have a look at the AmEx for sure.

Additional note: Not looking to add another card with an annual fee, so BoA Premium is out. Apologies for not clarifying that earlier. I'll amend my first post accordingly.

You're already set up with these banks and can use CSP or Platinum custom service for help with CFU or most BBP issues.

If you have or add BofA asset accounts, Preferred Rewards may improve the rewards. Having 2 Chase cards already may potentially limit your SL as Chase often has a cap on total CL they will extend relative to income.

How is 5/24 a concern if you've not applied for new cards since 2017?

Message 6 of 38
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I understand not wanting to add AFs. I'm trimming myself.

But note the BofA Premium comes with a $100 airfare extras credit...and you're already presumably flying a fair amount with a Platinum. Or you have it for other perks/credits/features?

Message 7 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I may have been using the wrong terminology when I said 5/24. I meant to refer to their policy of not offering signup bonuses for 36 months or whatever it is now. Since my plan is to downgrade my CSP and apply for a CSR when I am eligible for the signup bonus, I'm staying away from new Chase cards. That's what I meant to say.

Message 8 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the multiple posts. I'm not sure how to combine replies into a single message.

Anyway, I didn't realize BoA Premium comes with airfare extras. I'll definitely give that one a look now.

Message 9 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the insights. I'll take the Cash+ card off the list and I'll give PayPal Cashback a good look. I've had good experiences with using PayPal in general so I wouldn't mind having a card from them.

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.