Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to get a travel card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking to get a travel card

Hello,

I'm interested in getting a travel card within the next couple of months but wanted to get some advice. I'm interested in the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Capital One Venture card as I've heard great thing about both of these cards. To give you some more insight my FICO 8 EX 728 EQ 749 TU 746; respectively inquires 12, 7, 4; AAOA 9 ,10 ,11;  Oldest account 1year 6 months. I currently have 8 revolvers and 1 retail card. My last card was opened in March 2019 but I'm looking to get the card around October. I know I'm over the 5/24 rule but I have a Chase Freedom Unlimited card that's been open for 5 months now and I also have a banking relationship as well. I'm also open to any other suggestions on cards I can get as I'm planning to do alot of travel in 2020. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Looking to get a travel card

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I'm interested in getting a travel card within the next couple of months but wanted to get some advice. I'm interested in the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Capital One Venture card as I've heard great thing about both of these cards. To give you some more insight my FICO 8 EX 728 EQ 749 TU 746; respectively inquires 12, 7, 4; AAOA 9 ,10 ,11;  Oldest account 1year 6 months. I currently have 8 revolvers and 1 retail card. My last card was opened in March 2019 but I'm looking to get the card around October. I know I'm over the 5/24 rule but I have a Chase Freedom Unlimited card that's been open for 5 months now and I also have a banking relationship as well. I'm also open to any other suggestions on cards I can get as I'm planning to do alot of travel in 2020. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

1. My answer is neither. The Chase Sapphire Reserve would give you the most value. (Don't be scared off by the $450 annual fee. The first $300 in travel charges will give you a $300 credit that effectively takes the real annual fee down to $150).

2.  I don't know what an AAoA of 9, 10, 11 means. (Is it possible you mean 9 months, 10 months, or 11 months, depending on which bureau one looks at? If so you're a little on the 'young' side for Chase's travel cards.)

3.  If I were you I would check for a prequalification with Chase for the CSP. First look under the "Just for You" offers. If you see one, apply. If you don't see one, then stop in at your branch and ask a banker to check for preapprovals. If you have one, apply right there in the branch with a paper application... that is your best way of avoiding the 5/24 rule.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

1. My answer is neither. The Chase Sapphire Reserve would give you the most value. (Don't be scared off by the $450 annual fee. The first $300 in travel charges will give you a $300 credit that effectively takes the real annual fee down to $150).

2.  I don't know what an AAoA of 9, 10, 11 means. (Is it possible you mean 9 months, 10 months, or 11 months, depending on which bureau one looks at? If so you're a little on the 'young' side for Chase's travel cards.)

3.  If I were you I would check for a prequalification with Chase for the CSP. First look under the "Just for You" offers. If you see one, apply. If you don't see one, then stop in at your branch and ask a banker to check for preapprovals. If you have one, apply right there in the branch with a paper application... that is your best way of avoiding the 5/24 rule.

"AAoA of 9, 10, 11 means. (Is it possible you mean 9 months, 10 months, or 11 months, depending on which bureau one looks at? If so you're a little on the 'young' side for Chase's travel cards.)" Yes that's what I meant sorry if I didn't elaborate that correctly. I checked my Just for You offers and prequals don't have any credit card offers. I'll take your suggestion and stop by chase to see if I have any in-branch offers.

Message 3 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

"AAoA of 9, 10, 11 means. (Is it possible you mean 9 months, 10 months, or 11 months, depending on which bureau one looks at? If so you're a little on the 'young' side for Chase's travel cards.)" Yes that's what I meant sorry if I didn't elaborate that correctly. I checked my Just for You offers and prequals don't have any credit card offers. I'll take your suggestion and stop by chase to see if I have any in-branch offers.

Good.

If you don't have a preapproval, my advice would be (a) forget about Capital One (b) use your cash back cards in the interim and (c) wait until your AAoA is 13, 14, 15, or at least 12, 13, 14, and then try again with Chase.

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thank you !

Message 5 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, thank you !

Oh, and don't apply for any new cards anywhere else.

Chase won't like that.

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

what are your 8 cards?

I would consider citi premier instead, it has better earning rate.

Message 7 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

what are your 8 cards?

I would consider citi premier instead, it has better earning rate.

I like the Premier card, but I like it less since Citi announced that it is nerfing all the travel related side benefits. It seems ridiculous that I'm not going to be able to use a travel card for car rentals.

Message 8 of 29
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I really like my CSR and find it an excellent value as a primary travel card.

That said, the $10k minimum CL can be an obstacle in some cases. It would be good to have some idea of your income, travel spend, and other CLs.

As far as the banking relationship, unless you're talking about Chase Private Client (at a minimum) or some significant business relationship, keep your expectations of dodging 5/24 low.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's all the cards I have and there credit limits

Discover It Student CC( 5900)

AMEX Cash Preferred (10000)

TJX Mastercard (2700)

Barclay Uber Card (7000)

Chase Freedom Unlimited (3400)

1st Financial Bank (1000)

Deserve Edu (1800)

BOA Cash Rewards Student CC (900)

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.