cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks Like My TD Bank Easy Rewards Card Got Upgraded to Visa Sig!

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Looks Like My TD Bank Easy Rewards Card Got Upgraded to Visa Sig!

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Did you get this card with the 5x offer on dining, groceries, gas and cable, phone and utility bill payments for 6 months with no caps?  

Not sure why this card isn't mentioned more here, even though the above lasts only 6 months, used correctly (or incorrectly, depending on your views!) this outweighs most bonuses and justifies a HP.   If it's still there, my next card once the Thank You Preferred runs out.....

+1

Anyone with a cooperative CVS should really look into this card.  

Don't you mean uncooperative?

Yes, I should have, but I had mistakenly assumed the TD card granted the 5X in drugstores, which it doesn't.  So, I did mean "cooperative," but I should have meant "uncooperative."  

Message 21 of 27
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:And, while some people are reluctant to risk getting banned from Citi , getting banned from TD is more acceptable....

LOL...right, an apt reaction to being banned from TD would be "whatever."

Message 22 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Did you get this card with the 5x offer on dining, groceries, gas and cable, phone and utility bill payments for 6 months with no caps?  

Not sure why this card isn't mentioned more here, even though the above lasts only 6 months, used correctly (or incorrectly, depending on your views!) this outweighs most bonuses and justifies a HP.   If it's still there, my next card once the Thank You Preferred runs out.....

+1

Anyone with a cooperative CVS should really look into this card.  

Don't you mean uncooperative?

Yes, I should have, but I had mistakenly assumed the TD card granted the 5X in drugstores, which it doesn't.  So, I did mean "cooperative," but I should have meant "uncooperative."  

Some recent posts suggest the CVS corporate policy is now that they must accept credit cards for reloadable cards and the purchase limit is $5k per day. 

This may or may not be true, but practically it might be similar to telling a store abroad that is insisting on chip&pin: "Visa rules say you HAVE to take this swipe card"

Message 23 of 27
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Some recent posts suggest the CVS corporate policy is now that they must accept credit cards for reloadable cards and the purchase limit is $5k per day. 

This may or may not be true, but practically it might be similar to telling a store abroad that is insisting on chip&pin: "Visa rules say you HAVE to take this swipe card"

When it comes to policies such as this (or, the check ID thing), the reason I prefer uniformity is to keep subjectivity out of policy implementation. 

For example, this weekend I was on my way to a birthday party.  I stopped into an Office Max to purchase GCs, and for once it wasn't for cheesing, but an actual gift. However, I was wearing workout clothes and a baseball cap, and the Supervisor and cashier decides I look too much like a "crook" to use a credit card insisting I use the ATM.

Ordinarily, I'd just leave.  Why bother wasting time with these people right?  But, this time, I had to get to the party, and didn't have time to go elsewhere.  So, I politely asked for their names, business cards, and assured them I will write to their Corporate office, my State's AG office, and finally Visa & Amex on multiple T&C violations.

Of course, they ran the purchase, but wasted 15 minutes of my time.

Uniformity is best, either allow it or not; lest we'd really like to have minimum wage employees (not to disparage hard working minimum wage employees) deciding on their whims to whom these policies apply.

Message 24 of 27
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Eye-opening story, Open. I have never heard of such difficulties with GCs before. But, I also don't frequent many other forums that would inevitably convince me to alter behavior patterns for some additional rewards. My greedy/addictive/thrifty personality has its limitations, and I would rather not tempt it.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 25 of 27
Open123
Super Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:
Eye-opening story, Open. I have never heard of such difficulties with GCs before. 

In the city where I live, Walgreens hasn't allowed a Visa/MC/Amex GC credit card purchase for the past 10 years, which is fine because there is uniformity.  

The issues arise when stores lack a coherent policy leaving it up to the store manager and cashiers to decide at their discretion.  Without a uniform policy for each respective merchant (either yay, or nay), we leave our ability make a purchase with a form of payment that is entirely at the whims and discretion of a store's casher and manager.

Am I the only one who thinks this is insane?  Heck, if VRs are so valuable, what's to stop an enterprising cashier from accepting a "rebate" to charge the purchase? 

Message 26 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@SnackTrader wrote:
Eye-opening story, Open. I have never heard of such difficulties with GCs before. 

In the city where I live, Walgreens hasn't allowed a Visa/MC/Amex GC credit card purchase for the past 10 years, which is fine because there is uniformity.  

The issues arise when stores lack a coherent policy leaving it up to the store manager and cashiers to decide at their discretion.  Without a uniform policy for each respective merchant (either yay, or nay), we leave our ability make a purchase with a form of payment that is entirely at the whims and discretion of a store's casher and manager.

Am I the only one who thinks this is insane?  Heck, if VRs are so valuable, what's to stop an enterprising cashier from accepting a "rebate" to charge the purchase? 

It's insane (well, perhaps too strong a word), but to the hardcore, it also adds to the thrill of the hunt!  "If I am lucky enough to find a store with them in stock, will I find a cashier that will let me use a credit card?"   If Manufactured Spend was a real job, this would suck, but as a hobby, part of the price I guess.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.