Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing Patience with Navy Federal Secure Card

tag
NightTrader
Valued Member

Losing Patience with Navy Federal Secure Card

I am losing patience with Navy Federal Secure Card.  I had it for about eight months use and it no credit limit increase or graduation.

I think the mistake I made was to put $1,000.00 on it. I should have put $200.00 on it to open the account. Might try the pledge loan. The only issue I can think of is $24,000 in student loans, which are all current and never late. 

What are the pros and cons to closing the secure card?  

I may close out and get added as an authorized user to my dad's Cash Rewards Card. The secure card starting to seem worthless especially when I qualify for other regular credit cards with Captial One.

Data points 

Scores 680-703

5 cards balance $400 ---  3% utilization  $14,900 total credit

Bankruptcy file date 07/2020

Discharge 10/2020

NightTrader

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Losing Patience with Navy Federal Secure Card

@NightTrader wrote:

I am losing patience with Navy Federal Secure Card.  I had it for about eight months use and it no credit limit increase or graduation.

I think the mistake I made was to put $1,000.00 on it. I should have put $200.00 on it to open the account. Might try the pledge loan. The only issue I can think of is $24,000 in student loans, which are all current and never late. 

What are the pros and cons to closing the secure card?  

I may close out and get added as an authorized user to my dad's Cash Rewards Card. The secure card starting to seem worthless especially when I qualify for other regular credit cards with Captial One.

Data points 

Scores 680-703

5 cards balance $400 ---  3% utilization  $14,900 total credit

Bankruptcy file date 07/2020

Discharge 10/2020

NightTrader

In your shoes I'd ride it out for at least a year; eight months is not at all too long to wait.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 11
pip3man
Valued Contributor

Don't feel bad about it, you're not alone. I secured mine with $5k which was a huge mistake I made as well. It seems like those who deposit under $500 graduate around the 6 months mark like clockwork. I've tried every strategy from maxing out the card, to no usage at all, to paying in full and keeping a balance yet none worked. We have similar stats, my BK7 discharged July 2020... had the card for exactly 1 year now and got about $50k in student loans with at least 6 years of perfect payment history. Had this not been my first card post BK7 I would have axed it by now.

Message 3 of 11
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@pip3man wrote:

Don't feel bad about it, you're not alone. I secured mine with $5k which was a huge mistake I made as well. It seems like those who deposit under $500 graduate around the 6 months mark like clockwork. I've tried every strategy from maxing out the card, to no usage at all, to paying in full and keeping a balance yet none worked. We have similar stats, my BK7 discharged July 2020... had the card for exactly 1 year now and got about $50k in student loans with at least 6 years of perfect payment history. Had this not been my first card post BK7 I would have axed it by now.

Wow, I'm stunned, I didn't know NFCU was slow to graduate high limit cards and am so very happy I didn't opt for the nRewards card last year when I started rebuilding after my Chapter 13 discharge.  Instead I dropped a $5,000 security deposit on TDBank's secured TDCash card and it graduated exactly six months to the day following my first charge; and not only did it graduate to unsecured, by virtue of the fact all unsecured TDCash cards with at least a $5,000 credit limit are deemed Signature Visa cards, I got that graduation as well.

Have you called NFCU and asked about graduation?

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 4 of 11
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

I think it is dependent upon profile mostly but it seems higher deposits may take longer.  Mine was 5k and they gave me a Flagship before the secured card graduated.  I took 2 years but my scores were not good.  I would think about a second card from them.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 5 of 11
pip3man
Valued Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@pip3man wrote:

Wow, I'm stunned, I didn't know NFCU was slow to graduate high limit cards and am so very happy I didn't opt for the nRewards card last year when I started rebuilding after my Chapter 13 discharge.  Instead I dropped a $5,000 security deposit on TDBank's secured TDCash card and it graduated exactly six months to the day following my first charge; and not only did it graduate to unsecured, by virtue of the fact all unsecured TDCash cards with at least a $5,000 credit limit are deemed Signature Visa cards, I got that graduation as well.

Have you called NFCU and asked about graduation?

@Horseshoez I burned TD in my BK7 on a Cash Rewards for $900. It was actually my intention to pay off the small balance before I filed but somehow they closed the account before I got the chance and then I was concerned about the BK preferential payment clause. So I'm not sure they'll be keen to take me back again. I had the TD card for almost 7yrs from back when it was the Easy Rewards and never got a CLI. I've called NFCU several times to see about graduation but all they say is that it is an automated process so at this point, I've given up. Thankfully I have other unsecured cards through Penfed, Capital One & co.

Message 6 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I would suggest holding on to it a bit longer as it hasn’t been a full year yet. Keep in mind that this stuff takes time. Give it a little while longer and keep using it and hopefully they will graduate.
Message 7 of 11
jnbowmar
New Contributor

Patience, as they say, is a virtue.

My discover card didn't graduate for 14 months, and my SDFCU just graduated after 18 months. And my Citi card is still secured after 26 months and counting, and I expect them to renew the collateral account to be honest.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NightTrader wrote:

I am losing patience with Navy Federal Secure Card ... The secure card starting to seem worthless especially when I qualify for other regular credit cards with Captial One.

A quick search of the forum will produce a million or so threads titled, "Am I Being Bucketed by Cap One?" or "Why won't Cap One give me a CLI?" while a similar search of the Approvals forum for Navy will produce enough OMGs and exclamation marks to supply a classroom of pre-teens for a solid year.

This credit thing is more marathon than sprint. The tortoise gets all the lettuce in the end. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 11
TheRedHat
Established Contributor

I have had an NFCU Secured card for 5 months now with a $1,000 starting credit limit. They increased my credit limit to $1,200 at 4 months without my having to deposit any additional funds (emailed me saying I was doing a good job). Curious what will happen at 6 months.

Data points

Scores 620-642

4 cards balance $5,200 --- 45% utilization (Will be around 4% utilization for next month)

No bankruptcies

Are you allowing a balance to be reported to your card?

Last update: 4/8/2024
Chopping Block:

Goal Cards
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.