Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing SUB due to COVID-19 related refund

tag
furthur
Regular Contributor

Losing SUB due to COVID-19 related refund

Earlier this year I achieved the 60,000 point SUB on my Citi Premier card after spending $4,000. The purchases that got me to that threshold were $900 worth of concert tickets for a concert at the end of July (I bought for several people). In the increasingly likely chance that the concert is cancelled and the $900 ends up refunded, I'm worried about losing out on the 60,000 points I recieved.  I still regularly use the card for purchases, however I would not have gotten to $4,000 in 3 months if it weren't for this $900 charge.

Of course it would be good to have that extra money back, but I'm just wondering, in anyone's experience, if there is a chance I will be allowed to keep the points. Is there any hope Citi would make an exception due to the unique circumstances of COVID-19, especially since I'm not solely using the card for churning and will keep it in the long-run?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Losing SUB due to COVID-19 related refund

Call citi and explain your situation. Use the points if you can.

End of July is a long way off, if we are still cancelling events by then, this may be the least of your worries.

Message 2 of 11
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Where did you buy your tickets from? I see on Doctor of Credit that Stubhub is trying to pull a fast one, updating their policy for canceled events to no refund, just a voucher worth 120% of your ticket purchase good for future purchases. I'd be ticked if someone tried that on me, but might work out for you.

Message 3 of 11
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

End of July is a long way off, if we are still cancelling events by then, this may be the least of your worries.

Exactly and exactly 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 11
MasonK
Frequent Contributor

I've never dealt with Citi, but as mentioned, July is a long way off.

If your bonus gets clawed back, you have a pretty solid argument that you made (and paid) those charges in good-faith. It's not like you bought a gold brick and returned it to the gold brick store as manufactured spend.

I almost had to post this same question about my CSP SUB which I fortunately ended up hitting by about $3 a few weeks ago. Best of luck to you!

1/1/16 FICO8 Scores: EX: 407, EQ: 403, TU: 455
4/1/24 FICO8 Scores: EX: 832, EQ: 820, TU: 834
FICO9 EX: 818
Total Revolving Limits: $152,300

Message 5 of 11
furthur
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I probably will end up calling Citi, however I don't want to end up on their radar if I call them and end up using the points after that.

And I agree to your point that with COVID-19 these bonus points aren't my main concern. It would be nice to be able to still keep the points and save money that way whenever I travel next though. Hopefully the concert stays on or maybe just gets postponed instead of cancelled.

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Where did you buy your tickets from? I see on Doctor of Credit that Stubhub is trying to pull a fast one, updating their policy for canceled events to no refund, just a voucher worth 120% of your ticket purchase good for future purchases. I'd be ticked if someone tried that on me, but might work out for you.

The tickets were purchased on MLB.com which looks like it is powered by tickets.com. Perhaps I could call them if the concert gets cancelled and see if they'd be willing to give me a voucher instead. If that's possible it might be something they'd prefer too.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

A lot can change by then. We have a ton of stuff planned and have no plans to change yet. Step daughter has a concert in July,  a trip to Paris in June (although that looks in jeopardy now because its international), we have a trip in early May (looks in jeopardy), a trip in June and a rescheduled trip for July. 

We may be past peak by then, the heat could cripple the virus temporarily, and things open up. And they can determine most of us were or by then will be exposed to the virus. They are working with garbage data in my opinion and may find that out later, and the models were wrong (good chance). That means a whole different scenario by then, and it could be an extremely quick turnaround. 

The fact that you continue to use the card won't hurt your situation. The last thing you want is to earn the SUB and stop using the card, and look like a SUB chaser. I bet they would look at that if you need to address that with them should the concert be cancelled.  Smart move.

Message 7 of 11
furthur
Regular Contributor

Just an update, the concerts I were to attend were cancelled, and I contacted Citi regarding the refund and the fate of my SUB points. See below:

ink (1).png

Jeanna made my day!

Message 8 of 11
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

@furthur wrote:

Just an update, the concerts I were to attend were cancelled, and I contacted Citi regarding the refund and the fate of my SUB points. See below:

ink (1).png

Jeanna made my day!

Yay! That's nice of them, congrats on the win

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@furthur Nice! Glad Citi came through for you with the SUB!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.