Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Amex Platinum Sign-Up Bonus, Need Advice

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Lost Amex Platinum Sign-Up Bonus, Need Advice

Slightly OT but about "prestige"   Just got back from a week in the UK (Newcastle, generally less economically successful than London).   During that time I don't think I saw ANYONE use a physical credit card, everyone used their phone (and for some reason using SP seemed much faster than it does here).    This includes restaurants as most bring the terminal to you.   

So if no-one gets to see what card you are using, it seems harder to worry about prestige.   Well, I guess there's still space for you to wave your phone in a friends face and say "See, see.  Amex Plat!!!" but.....!

Message 61 of 69
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

less economically successful than London lol, my goodness isnt that the truth - and I though LA was expensive

Message 62 of 69
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Slightly OT but about "prestige"   Just got back from a week in the UK (Newcastle, generally less economically successful than London).   During that time I don't think I saw ANYONE use a physical credit card, everyone used their phone (and for some reason using SP seemed much faster than it does here).    This includes restaurants as most bring the terminal to you.   

So if no-one gets to see what card you are using, it seems harder to worry about prestige.   Well, I guess there's still space for you to wave your phone in a friends face and say "See, see.  Amex Plat!!!" but.....!

All those plebians, making secure payments with their pocket-sized supercomputers. They can't appreciate how special it is to flash around a few cents' worth of base metal.

(I find contactless payments with a physical card slightly faster than bringing a card up on my phone, but may use my phone more.)

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 63 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t know if this was answered but if you had 3 months to spend $5000, and you already spent $4000 right away, why would you cancel it? You had plenty of time, I assume, to spend the extra and earn the points.

Message 64 of 69
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@CJ7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
The color of the card has no influence on its spending power.

There was a time when it did.  In the day, I believe the Gold was backed by at least 25K

through a separate financial institution. 

Not sure what time period this might be. I had a Gold card in the 1980's and doubt AMEX had any intention of letting me run up $25k of charges on the card.

Mid-1980's, a friend had one.  Below the American Express text was the name of the bank that provided the capital.

He was carrying a massive balance, the limit was something like 25K.

Message 65 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

just an update; got my 60,000 points!! 

re-read terms of service and it seems to imply that only after 30 days of a closed account will the benefits be completely lost

could be that the reps just didn't know what they were talking about and were saying the points were lost as a precaution in case the system did not award them

either way, the system started right from where i left off with my spending, same transactions and all, so makes sense that the points populated 

thanks everyone for your advice 

Message 66 of 69
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats, Platinum Cardholder!

Thanks for sharing your story. Really glad for you that it worked out. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 67 of 69
LOC
Contributor

Crazy story, I am glad that it worked out for you. Congratulations 

Starting Score: 565
Current Score: 696
Goal Score: 850

Message 68 of 69
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As the OP's issue appears to have been resolved and the topic well-covered, the thread is now locked and closed to new messages.

FS

Message 69 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.