Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost? GEMB

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lost? GEMB

Last year, almost 2 years now, I had someone use my existing Paypal MasterCard (9Klimit) and run up 3k in charges that were not mine. GEMB makes me sign affadavit, I file police report, etc. they realize the charges were not mine and I paid for the ones that were mine. So they close the card, and say they would send me another once I was done with the CRAs etc. Now I apply for any GEMB card and get declined for a host of reasons! Is this legal? I did nothing to warrant what happened, and was a good customer. I would like to get another Paypal/Ebay card and my Walmart Discover which they closed at that time they said for my safety which had no Fraud on it! Is there anything I can do aside from compalin to the FTC?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Lost? GEMB

So they never sent you a replacement card? What are the reasons listed for your denial?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
Mekitcat
Frequent Contributor

I don't have an answer to your question, but I just wanted to tell you that is major BS!! Have you called and talk to a supervisor or the supervisors boss? Or better yet see if you can somehow call/email the CEO. I would go up the chain if I was able to.

I will PM a link to you with contact info that might help you. I can't post it here because of the TOS

Message 3 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Um...

First did you have GEMB in writing, saying that they would issue you another card?

Second why did you applied again? You could have just called back and ask to reopen the card.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did call and was told by the Fraud Department that i would have to reapply....and the reasons for denial at least I have applied only for those 3 have always been "Information from Outside source" and no Hard INQs. I have called over and over and get transfered around like madness. I cant see how the victim is somehow at fault...I did all they asked of me, including the police report, Mail Fraud report, and Froze my CRs. IDK what else? I think I may just send the letter to the FTC...

Message 5 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

They are under no obligation if their words are not on a signed paper.

What outside source? Can you be more specific? It is possible that other reporting agency (not EQ, EX and TU) reported you as a victim of fraud. Many lenders are VERY caution when a victim of fraud ask for credit (since the fraud is likely to happen again). Escalate it to supervisor and credit analyst/underwriter.

That said, signed up for a credit monitoring service. Also unfreeze your report. You cannot apply for credit when your credit reports are freezed. Be more careful when handling your credit cards. CC fraud don't happen out of the blue, some events must've happened that caused thief to obatin your CC info (like lost CC statements, leaked CC info online, etc).

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It says declined due to information from outside source. But its only GEMB, I got a Priceline Barclays card about 4 months ago, and none of my AMEX cards have had any problems. It happened apparently by one of card readers at my Krogers. The Police report even says so and names the individual as who was involved and I believed prosecuted. I do have them unfrozen when I app for GEMB and no go....I think they think it was my fault some how...Despite the police reports etc.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It says declined due to information from outside source. 

Ok.. I'll bite.  What is the information from the outside source?  It will list reasons.  The information from the outside source is not a reason, it just means they pulled your credit report.  What is on your credit report? (no need to go back over the whole fraud thing, I read that and get it.  I just mean what are the reasons cited from the credit report for denial?)

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.