Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost/Stolen Credit Card

tag
smo65d11
Regular Contributor

Lost/Stolen Credit Card

Does having a lost/stolen credit card (that was not used by anyone, no fraud, just a lost/stolen card) affect your FICO in any way?
Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Re: Lost/Stolen Credit Card

Not at all. Unless the suspect decided to max out your cards, thats a different story. But even if they did, it wouldnt matter cause you would have 0 liability on credit cards.
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Not at all. Unless the suspect decided to max out your cards, thats a different story. But even if they did, it wouldnt matter cause you would have 0 liability on credit cards.
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 2 of 11
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

If they issue a new account number, I believe this could reage you when it reports, possibly dinging you.
Here we go again...
Message 3 of 11
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Wells Fargo issued me a 2 new account numbers in past couple of months, have not seen an impact on my score or any signs of reaging yet. Hmm, I am going to have to look out for that.
Message 4 of 11
score_building
Senior Contributor

yes it can... for the reason noted by Fretless... weird but true that it can ding ya, however even if you get dinged from a reage, it is typically not a big ding from what i understand.  to have a score consequence from a lost/stolen does seem rather inappropriate. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 11
smo65d11
Regular Contributor

any idea of how much of a ding?  3 points, 20, more?

and if I am re-aged, can I dispute it/GW it to have it corrected?

Message Edited by smo65d11 on 12-15-2008 10:35 AM
Message 6 of 11
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@smo65d11 wrote:

any idea of how much of a ding?  3 points, 20, more?

and if I am re-aged, can I dispute it/GW it to have it corrected?

Message Edited by smo65d11 on 12-15-2008 10:35 AM

I don't think it is much. I'm not sure if an additional TL due to loss of a CC is GW-able. Does anyone else know?

Here we go again...
Message 7 of 11
smo65d11
Regular Contributor

this happens to be my longest reporting tradeline (12 years), my other cards/credit are all within the past 3 years, so this is a pretty important item for me!
Message 8 of 11
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

I pulled my experian report and nothing has change except the account number. Credit limt, pymt history, and date opened is the same. No score ding from EQ score watch...
Message 9 of 11
clocktick
Valued Contributor

When my Paypal card expired I never received a new one.  I called them up and they immediately canceled my card stating I should've received a new one by now.  Afterwards I got a new one with an entirely different account number.

My CR shows the old one "lost/stolen" AND the new one with the old one's account history.  I did not notice any drop in score as my score fluctuates here and there so even if there was, it was only a couple of points.

Message Edited by clocktick on 12-15-2008 01:55 PM
11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.