Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Love Discover

tag
DomoNomo
Contributor

Love Discover

A few days ago, I got an email from discover saying that I had change my email and signed up for mobile device service, which I clearly had not done any of them.  Worried, I called them immediately and found out that my card had two unauthorize charges of $300 for a giftcard.  I panicked as this has never happened to me before, but the fraud dept assure me that they will handle everything.  They took the charges off, sent me a new card and everything is back to normal.

It's scary to think this can happen so easily.  No one has touched my Discover card other than me and I have paperless statements, so I have no idea how they got my information.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Boragard
Established Contributor

Re: Love Discover

Did you use your card at a gas station?  A similar situation happened to me but with my debit card with chase.  Word is thieves are targeting gas stations since they are less secured and adding magnetic reading devices to capture your information.

Message 2 of 22
DomoNomo
Contributor

Last I used my Discover card was online to pay my Utility bill (water bill).  I use my Amex for gas, so I still don't know.  The theives even manage to change my address as well.

Message 3 of 22
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Wow! Thanks for the heads up!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 22
AAstra
Regular Contributor

+1 to Boragard...gas stations are targeted heavily along with ATM machines for debit card info. I've only heard good things about Discover and I can't wait until I app for the IT card...hopefully to be approved.

FICO - TU: 815 | EQ: 793 | EX: 813

Sears MasterCard: $13k (1/2013)
Capital One Venture One Visa Signature: $10k (7/2015)
Amex BCE: $9.8k (3/2014)
Amex Corporate: NPSL
Chase Freedom Visa Signature: $9.5k (3/2014)
Discover it: $9.5k (3/2014)
Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards: $2.65k (6/2013)
Message 5 of 22
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Wow! The sad part is that there is no way we can prevent it from happening. Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 22
Captain4Ever
Established Member

No one touches your card physically , but they can touch your account online. That means your computer has been breached. You may consider do some clean up on your computer and review all the others cards as well.

Message 7 of 22
alvon123
Super Contributor

wireless RFID skimmers:  person can just walk past you or near you and the device captures your credit data.

Message 8 of 22
Startome
Regular Contributor

@alvon123 wrote:

wireless RFID skimmers:  person can just walk past you or near you and the device captures your credit data.

I've been warning all my clients about RFID stuff. All our debit cards now at my bank are Pay Pass, and they're been getting hit hard by fraud. Amazon sells some protectors really cheap, I'm picking one up this season as well.

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 9 of 22
zullyquirke
Contributor

I had this happen to, with my Discover IT card! They had a period where using it to pay for gas got you cash rewards for a couple of months, so I ended up using it. Got stuck at a sketchy gas station and ended up getting my card number swiped. Discover was great about it; no muss no fuss. Cancelled the transaction, reported it, replaced my card. Discover was my first "big" approval card, and they've definitely turned me into a loyal customer. 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.