Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Love Some Help -- PC to Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited

tag
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

Love Some Help -- PC to Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited

I want to PC my Slate because now that the balance transfer is done the card basically has no value.  But, I plan to give it some spend as I try to get Chase to increase my limit as high as whatever bucket I'm in will allow.  

I could go either way -- Freedom and it's rotating categories or Unlimited with its 1.5% and no cap.  Total coin toss.  

So other than the obvious, is there anything to know about either of these cards that might make choosing easier?  

Also, for those who have seen and handled both, is one less ugly than the other?  I know, I know, it's shallow.  But both cards have such a cheap looking design I figured if one looked better than the other it might help break the tie.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Love Some Help -- PC to Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited

@Asilomar wrote:

I want to PC my Slate because now that the balance transfer is done the card basically has no value.  But, I plan to give it some spend as I try to get Chase to increase my limit as high as whatever bucket I'm in will allow.  

I could go either way -- Freedom and it's rotating categories or Unlimited with its 1.5% and no cap.  Total coin toss.  

So other than the obvious, is there anything to know about either of these cards that might make choosing easier?  

Also, for those who have seen and handled both, is one less ugly than the other?  I know, I know, it's shallow.  But both cards have such a cheap looking design I figured if one looked better than the other it might help break the tie.  

Do you think you will at some point get a transfer card (CSP/CSR/Ink)?   If not, the Freedom Unlimited is no better than your existing Quicksilver, and so you may as well get the Freedom in case you can make use of the 5% categories.   If you do plan to get a transfer card, it's a little less obvious (especially with rumoured changes) but it's probably easier to go for the Freedom anyway for now, and maybe add the FU if you get heavily into the UR eco system

Message 2 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I'm heavily into miles, but 5% cash is still occasionally useful. The thought has crossed my mind to drop my Freedom Unlimited, now that I have a BBP (2x Amex MR points).

I'm keeping it for now as I'm logging into Chase for three other cards, anyway...but it does seem kind of useless (for my purposes...I can see why other people like it).

Note that some people have reported difficulty (but in most cases eventual success) in PCing from Slate to Freedom. Using Freedom Unlimited as an intermediary (Slate to FU, FU to Freedom) has worked for some others.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I had no problem whatsoever PCing my slate to a freedom. Now I have 2 freedoms and a freedom unlimited.

Id probably say go for the freedom just cuz 5x is awesome and as mentioned you already have Quicksilver. And if you really want you can PC it again might have to wait another year though.

Personally, I just got the PayPal cash back MasterCard and already have the business debit card so will be doing the PayPal 3% on all credit/2% on all debit purchases setup. 3% beats out 1.5x UR for me so the freedom unlimited will become useless unless I need to top off my UR points - I may end up converting it to a third freedom lol but really I barely have use for 2 as of yet - although I have been working on minimum spends lately...food for thought.

Tldr: both great cards, I'd lean toward freedom for 5x
Message 4 of 14
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Do you think you will at some point get a transfer card (CSP/CSR/Ink)?   If not, the Freedom Unlimited is no better than your existing Quicksilver, and so you may as well get the Freedom in case you can make use of the 5% categories.   If you do plan to get a transfer card, it's a little less obvious (especially with rumoured changes) but it's probably easier to go for the Freedom anyway for now, and maybe add the FU if you get heavily into the UR eco system

No, I won't be getting a travel-based transfer card as I don't travel enough to justify the annual fees.  I've already thought ahead to a time when I might need a balance transfer card, and when and if that happens I'll jump on the Citi Diamond Preferred and its 21 months at 0%.  I'd like to get into Citi and partake of their high-limit love.  

However, I won't be doing any new cards until my youngest (10 months) gets over 2 years.  My AAoA is already in the drink and I don't want to make it worse. 

What's the UR eco system?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 5 of 14
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

Great comments, guys.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.  

I think I'll go with the Freedom since yeah, at least I can get something out of the 5% categories -- I am good at keeping track of such things as I maximize my It every quarter.  Watch Chase be on the same category rotation as Disco...

What?  No one wanted to weigh in on card aesthetics?  Smiley Wink

EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 6 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Ultimate Rewards "URs" are the reward currency that Freedom and Freedom Unlimited earn. On their own, the points can only be redeemed as cash back or gift cards.

If you have an annual fee card that earns URs, there are a few travel redemption methods that can potentially give greater value per point.

It's a very popular rewards program, and you can find a lot of discussion if you search through old threads.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 14
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Ultimate Rewards "URs" are the reward currency that Freedom and Freedom Unlimited earn. On their own, the points can only be redeemed as cash back or gift cards.

If you have an annual fee card that earns URs, there are a few travel redemption methods that can potentially give greater value per point.

It's a very popular rewards program, and you can find a lot of discussion if you search through old threads.

Got it.  Thanks for the explanation.  

I just got off the phone with Chase and succesfully PC'd to Freedom.  The CSR tried to talk me into a Sapphire Preferred.  LOL  Maybe they get a bonus in their paycheck for getting people to pay the AF but not get the sign-up bonus.  Smiley Wink 

EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah without a Sapphire the Freedom Unlimited is no better than your Quicksilver in terms of rewards.

But FYI bro the sapphire preferred waives the annual fee the first year, the 50k sign up bonus is pretty easy to hit, and most importantly after the 12th month once the fee drops you can call and PC your Sapphire to a no annual fee card like another freedom and get the fee refunded so basically free sapphire for a year. During that year move all your cash back from the freedom to the sapphire and take all your points and either transfer them to a travel partner that makes sense for you or cash them all out: even if you don't use them for travel and end up just cashing out, you'll still get huge value with the sapphire preferred for 1 year cuz of the 50k sign up bonus - even as cash back that's $500 back on $4000 spend.
Message 9 of 14
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah without a Sapphire the Freedom Unlimited is no better than your Quicksilver in terms of rewards.

But FYI bro the sapphire preferred waives the annual fee the first year, the 50k sign up bonus is pretty easy to hit, and most importantly after the 12th month once the fee drops you can call and PC your Sapphire to a no annual fee card like another freedom and get the fee refunded so basically free sapphire for a year. During that year move all your cash back from the freedom to the sapphire and take all your points and either transfer them to a travel partner that makes sense for you or cash them all out: even if you don't use them for travel and end up just cashing out, you'll still get huge value with the sapphire preferred for 1 year cuz of the 50k sign up bonus - even as cash back that's $500 back on $4000 spend.

All that sounds fantastic except that you don't get the SUB when you PC.  So I'd just be paying the AF for nothin'.

EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.