Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low APR cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Low APR cards

Is there any more low APR cards aside from NFCU Platinum with 8.24% with no BT fee. I'm not looking to apply for now but may be useful for me in the future.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

Re: Low APR cards

I'd look into searching for credit union cards OP. Befcu offers a nice card as low as 4.99% but they said they were georestricted when I called into inquire. But @galahad15 was able to successfully app for it regardless so its a gamble but worth it if you can get the card.

Other prospects would be regional banks like sunflower bank which offers a 6.00% variable rate if you're interested.

Message 2 of 12
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

I was making a list for myself on CUs I could join while I sit in the garden. That way I had products I wanted already in mind and easy to app for when that time comes.

PenFed has one with a variable rate of 9.24% APR. I don't like the HP to join. Or how fickle they are about approvals or SL. They're manic, all the DPs I read on them are hit or miss, they're not predictable. But... the HP to join can also be used to apply for one of their credit products too without getting a 2nd pull. Anyone can join with a bit of work.

UNIFY Financial Credit Union has one at a fixed rate of 9.49% APR, then a variable at 8.74% APR. Donate to a foundation in their name and you're in.

Premier America has a fixed rate with 8.45% APR. Anyone can join, same back door method as the top two.

They have promotional rates attached to most of those cards above too, but I just noted the APR on my list for when that promotional period ends.

I have found a few local CUs that offer rates between 7.5% and 8.5% locally. One was even 6.99%, but their max SL is 7k. I was lucky enough to get a 15k SL Visa recently with 8.25% fixed. The rest of the local CUs are to small to expect a decent enough SL to open a CC account with sadly.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there any more low APR cards aside from NFCU Platinum with 8.24% with no BT fee. I'm not looking to apply for now but may be useful for me in the future.

So is your reason for getting a low APR card then with no BT fee to do a BT in the future?  You didn't specifically state that was your plan, but that's what I'm gathering.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So is your reason for getting a low APR card then with no BT fee to do a BT in the future?  You didn't specifically state that was your plan, but that's what I'm gathering.

Yeah I plan to do BT on big purchases. Besides the NFCU Plat offer no BT fee and I just wanna know other low APR cards out there.... either with/without BT fee. Depeding on the amount of purchase I could do the math on which card will save me more.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@issac2x wrote:

I'd look into searching for credit union cards OP. Befcu offers a nice card as low as 4.99% but they said they were georestricted when I called into inquire. But @galahad15 was able to successfully app for it regardless so its a gamble but worth it if you can get the card.

Other prospects would be regional banks like sunflower bank which offers a 6.00% variable rate if you're interested.

BEFCU has really nice APR and no BT fee but I checked their membership requirements which I'm not affiliated with any of the companies listed, and they're one county away (OC here). Checked that Sunflower Bank too and no BT fee also.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Low APR cards like the CU cards you've been suggested are great staples to keep around for the potential where a card you have 0% on is running out on but, forecasting a big spend just to end up BTing to your backup card isn't a great strategy for the long term.

If you don't have the cash in the bank to PIF for a purchase it usually isn't the best idea to spend that much then.  If something comes up unexpectedly like an appliance dies or the AC goes out then that's more immediate and unplanned for.  That's when you really need that low APR backup card.  

I keep 2 sub 10% cards around specifically for issues that come up.  One is 6.9% Fixed and the other is 9.5%.  

It's more a peace of mind to have the option rather than not.  Depending on it though could lead to trouble if you don't have much self control and just keep BTing debt to it instead of paying it down sooner than you would at the lower rate.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Low APR cards like the CU cards you've been suggested are great staples to keep around for the potential where a card you have 0% on is running out on but, forecasting a big spend just to end up BTing to your backup card isn't a great strategy for the long term.

If you don't have the cash in the bank to PIF for a purchase it usually isn't the best idea to spend that much then.  If something comes up unexpectedly like an appliance dies or the AC goes out then that's more immediate and unplanned for.  That's when you really need that low APR backup card.  

I keep 2 sub 10% cards around specifically for issues that come up.  One is 6.9% Fixed and the other is 9.5%.  

It's more a peace of mind to have the option rather than not.  Depending on it though could lead to trouble if you don't have much self control and just keep BTing debt to it instead of paying it down sooner than you would at the lower rate.

I normally take advantage of 0% if they are being offered and I only apply for CC if I have use for it (cashbacks). I'm aware that BT-ing the balance to a lower APR card will not be a good strategy at all. My specific use of low APR card is to use it as a backup if existing lenders won't offer me another 0% and/or highly unlikely emergencies if I ever need to pull cash from CC (I have some cash stored on high yield savings). Pulling cash from CC is a bad idea too. Other than that, I always PIF.

Message 8 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I normally take advantage of 0% if they are being offered and I only apply for CC if I have use for it (cashbacks). I'm aware that BT-ing the balance to a lower APR card will not be a good strategy at all. My specific use of low APR card is to use it as a backup if existing lenders won't offer me another 0% and/or highly unlikely emergencies if I ever need to pull cash from CC (I have some cash stored on high yield savings). Pulling cash from CC is a bad idea too. Other than that, I always PIF.

I disagree. It can be a good strategy if you're transferring to save money on interest. As long as you stop using the card you're transferring the balance from and are prepared to pay the new 0%APR in full before the expiration date, you have nothing to lose. Of course in this instant, you also want to be <28.9% on the 0%APR card. Well this method works for me anyway. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I disagree. It can be a good strategy if you're transferring to save money on interest. As long as you stop using the card you're transferring the balance from and are prepared to pay the new 0%APR in full before the expiration date, you have nothing to lose. Of course in this instant, you also want to be <28.9% on the 0%APR card. Well this method works for me anyway. 

I meant to say "may" not "will." Thanks for pointing it out. Yeah it can be a good strategy depending on situation.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.