Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low CL, should I close it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Low CL, should I close it?

I have several cards that all have low CL 300-500. Even though some of them are older accounts does having a low CL hurt scores? I have a Chase card that was issued in 2004 the CL has never increased from the original 300. I recently contacted them to ask why and got a form letter apology saying sorry for the inconvenience but I would have to submit for a increase if I wanted one. I've debated closing or trying to get it increased. It has a zero balance and there is no annual fee. I'm just leery of Chase right now I had one card transferred from WaMu and the APR skyrocketed to 31.99%. Guess I could cut off an arm and send it to them as a goodwill gesture, LOL.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Low CL, should I close it?

You shouldnt close any of your cards if it doesnt cost you anything. If you get another cc with a high limit to help with your util then you could close some of your lower cc. But its good to keep them open because the length of your accounts being open matters to your fico. As far as the low limits try calling the backdoor numbers and see if a credit analyst can review your account. Also call chase to ask for a interest rate reduction.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had this card for 5 years so I called today using one of the backdoor numbers and was declined for any CLI. Said I'll get a letter in 7-10 days explaining why it was declined. You'd think after all this time and never being late they would show some leeway. So now I have another hard pull with nothing to show for it.  Smiley Mad
Message 3 of 4
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear that Chris when the letter comes in see what it says and definitely call to recon. Yeah 5 years without a CLI I would think they would give something by now. 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.