Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Rate for Life of Balance Transfer

tag
MrCredit
Established Contributor

Low Rate for Life of Balance Transfer

Does anyone have any cards in mind that offer a low rate on balance transfers for the life of the balance transfer?

My wife has a Sallie Mae student loan at 8.5% that is about $8k. Its been 3 years since origination and the principal is barely scratching the surface.

Besides PenFED. Their underwriting guidelines I am afraid are too picky for me even.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Low Rate for Life of Balance Transfer

I'm not so certain such animals exist; credit cards are designed for short-term float, not extended periods (ostensibly).  As a result, I suspect most if not all have a time limit associated with it.

On pretty much any installment loan, the first couple payments if you pay the minimum will barely scratch the principal; kicking extra money in during the early part of the loan can shorten it tremendously.  

I'm not an expert though; there may be something out there but it'd likely be more effective to get a different loan type, secured against some sort of asset, to refinance it down if that's the goal.

        
Message 2 of 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

In today's world, such thing does not exist. Low rate is promtional offer that at most 18 months before going back to original rate.

Message 3 of 7
drkaje
Senior Contributor

NavFed probably has something like that.

Find the right roomate and make it happen!! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

PenFed had a 4.9% for life and no fee to BT but that ended 12/31 unless they extended but I have not checked.

Citi has 18 and chase has 15... Chase has been overing the Slate with the 15 months 0% but Waiving the BT Fee for first 90 days of account opening... Take that now if you can get it (Do Pre-Qual online) and get the balance down as much as you can... 15 months from now everything could be different.

Message 5 of 7
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Get a high limit bt card...

Freedom
Many Barclaycards
Simplicity
Motiva
Penfed

To get a limit that high on initial approval though, you'd likely need to have other equally as high of limit revolving accounts..

Good luck :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I just got an offer in the mail the other day for a fixed rate for life for any BTs completed in the first three months.  I think it was 8.9% and with First National Bank of Omaha.  I'd look it up for you but I tossed it.   

ETA: just noticed you were trying to get something lower than 8.5% so this wouldn't have been of interest anyway.  But maybe it provides a data point for what kinds of things are out there.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.