Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowe's card

tag
deg757
Regular Contributor

Lowe's card

What credit score do you need to get a Lowe's (or Home Depot) card? Will my scores get me one? We are closing on a home in 2 weeks and need a washer/dryer.

Starting scores 2/27/12 TU 605 EX 576 EQ 560
Current scores lender pull 9/6/12 TU 663 EX 629 EQ 645
Closed on our first home 10/26/2012!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: Lowe's card

who knows Lowes is backed by GE and Home Depot is backed by CITI

Message 2 of 11
guydiver
Established Contributor

@deg757 wrote:

What credit score do you need to get a Lowe's (or Home Depot) card? Will my scores get me one? We are closing on a home in 2 weeks and need a washer/dryer.

Lowes is GECRB.  They have an internal scoring system that is not a Fico score, I have a letter from them stating such.  They like to pull TU, but I know they have pulled my EQ on at least one occasion.  If you qualify for a mortgage, you will surely qualify for a Lowe's card, the only issue will be your starting limit.  Like most GE cards, they can be most generous with CLI's if you treat them well.  I don't see you having any problem, as long as you wait until after closing to app.  FYI, and YMMV, but if you want to make a significant purchase, I would apply in-store so you will have the added benefit of requesting a CL to accommodate your purchase.  Good luck.

Message 3 of 11
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@guydiver wrote:

@deg757 wrote:

Lowes is GECRB.  They have an internal scoring system that is not a Fico score, I have a letter from them stating such.  They like to pull TU, but I know they have pulled my EQ on at least one occasion.  If you qualify for a mortgage, you will surely qualify for a Lowe's card, the only issue will be your starting limit.  Like most GE cards, they can be most generous with CLI's if you treat them well.  I don't see you having any problem, as long as you wait until after closing to app.  FYI, and YMMV, but if you want to make a significant purchase, I would apply in-store so you will have the added benefit of requesting a CL to accommodate your purchase.  Good luck.

+ 1.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 4 of 11
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@deg757 wrote:

If you are closing on a home in 2 weeks...I advise not to open a new credit card account until you have closed escrow and your loan has funded. Opening a new account is a new liability to factor into the loan and will DELAY your processing and you may miss out on the house you picked.....wait.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 5 of 11
Scope27
Regular Contributor

+100000

Lowe's denied me with a 650 TU and HD accepted me with a 640ish EQ.  I heard HD was harder to get but they granted a low 500 CL and after 6 months of moderate useage I took the hit for a CLI to increase my line to 2000 and they granted 2250 to bring my total CL to 2750.  This is a prime example of a YYMV situation.  I also had two GECRB backed cards when I app'd for the Lowe's card.

Message 6 of 11
ssdc1980
New Contributor

I was approved for the Lowes card with a TU score of 667. My starting limit was only $800 but from what I hear GE backed cards grow fast when treated right. I definitely agree with the previous posters though, I wouldn't apply for any new credit until you close on your home.

Message 7 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Close on house and then apply.... if at home call back door number, if in store you can try to let them do it but bring back door number just in case you have someone that doesn't understand how to do it... call in and ask for a lot! if you are already approved its not going to turn into a denial all together and they are not going to say no i can't give you $10k so I won't increase you at all... I think HD tends to show a little higher CL's on this recon with brand new apps but I have seen some high Lowes to on these forums.

I got lowes with $500, at time of my GE app spree my lowest which seemed weird since higher dollar store but I had kind of been out of the GE realm for a bit so i didn't know about the new manual review and getting away from some other country... to late by time i knew

Message 8 of 11
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

+¹11111 to all above on waiting after closing the house. Don't lose it for a credit card.
I would suggest GE for their high growing limits with sps but it depends on your store location and local offers to find the best deals.
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 9 of 11
CS800
Super Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

@guydiver wrote:

@deg757 wrote:

+ 1.

+2

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.