Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowes - CC Opinions?

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Lowes - CC Opinions?

Hi All,  

I have made a fair number of purchases at Lowes recently and literally every time I go through the checkout, the cashier tries to push getting me to app for their credit card.  I have done a great job of declining.  Smiley Happy  Just wondering what opinions are these days of the Lowes card.  Worth considering?  I am not concerned about the interest rate, as any balance would be paid before the statement cuts.  

Thanks!

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

Re: Lowes - CC Opinions?

If you plan on paying it off before the balance cuts, that’s even better for you.
It will become a 5% return card for you.
It also has great 36/60/84 month options with fixed low rates of like 3.99 -8.99 for the big projects.

Message 2 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed with Viper, and with your scores, no matter your starting SL, you could recon it into a monster ($25-35k most likely, since your profile is strong and Synchrony is very TU-score driven).
Message 3 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s a keeper for me. 5% off everyday items or small purchases and 0% apr deals on purchases over $299. As a homeowner, it’s a nice added perk. 

And with Sync, cli come much easier. 

Message 4 of 35
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Worth ii if you shop there unless you are military. Military gets a 10% discount. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 5 of 35
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

It’s a keeper for me. 5% off everyday items or small purchases and 0% apr deals on purchases over $299. As a homeowner, it’s a nice added perk. 

+1. This exactly.  A great card if you shop there or can benefit from their promotional financing.  As I’ve said many, many, MANY times around these here parts, one would have to pry my Lowe’s card from my cold, dead hands.  

My house has been made a home by this very card.   The 0% (6/12/18/24) month promotional offers are frequent.  Synchrony (with the right profile and score) can be very generous with credit limits.  It’s nice to have a $30k limit and can carry a 0%, 24 month promotional balance without maxing the card out. 

From replacing my floors to appliances such as refrigerators, dishwashers, over the range ovens, shelves, cabinets, bathroom fixtures, mower, patio furniture, and even my awesome monster grill, have all been purchase via promotional finance with this very card.  

I don’t know the exact number but if I had to venture a guess I’d say I’ve easily pushed well over $150k through this card over the 4 or so years that I’ve had it and have been able to do all of it interest free.  I’ve purchased major appliances for my mom and grandma as gifts from there many times.  Do you know how happy a mom is when her son has purchased and had delivered the Samsung touch screen refrigerator that she was just looking at a week before Mother’s Day??  And how happy Grandma is to get the Roomba that she really wanted but doesn’t have a clue how to use?  Not to mention the ring door bells that I just picked up for both of them on Wednesday.  LOL!!   It makes them very happy which in turn makes me VERY happy.  Smiley LOL

There isn’t a VS, MC, Amex, or Discover card that I know of that would even come close to allowing me to make my house a home and not pay a cent in interest while doing it.

As you can see...I’m a huge fan of Lowe’s.   I’m the guy who knows most folks at my local Lowe’s on a first name basis.  I look for reasons to go there and if I don’t have a reason I’ll create one.  Smiley LOL   I’ve spent a many of lunch breaks at the Lowe’s across the street from my job.  Yep...I’m that guy.  LOL!   And BTW, I’m not a DIY type of person, I’ve used their contractors to get lots of things done and have been very pleased with the cost and the end result.  

I rave about Lowe’s so much that they should put me on their payroll.  

Message 6 of 35
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

Hi All,  

I have made a fair number of purchases at Lowes recently and literally every time I go through the checkout, the cashier tries to push getting me to app for their credit card.  I have done a great job of declining.  Smiley Happy  Just wondering what opinions are these days of the Lowes card.  Worth considering?  I am not concerned about the interest rate, as any balance would be paid before the statement cuts.  

Thanks!

It sounds like you don't need the special financing or easy CLIs others enjoy.

I mostly use Citi and Amex cards for home improvement store purchases (~$40k over the last three years).

Amex: Extended warranty and occasional spend offers

Citi: Extended warranty, retention offers, and price protection (not as good as it was) but disputes can be a hassle

That $40k was not particularly concentrated at any one merchant (due to product selection reasons more than financial ones) so it was nice to have a versatile wallet.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 35
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1. This exactly.  A great card if you shop there or can benefit from their promotional financing.  As I’ve said many, many, MANY times around these here parts, one would have to pry my Lowe’s card from my cold, dead hands.  

My house has been made a home by this very card.   The 0% (6/12/18/24) month promotional offers are frequent.  Synchrony (with the right profile and score) can be very generous with credit limits.  It’s nice to have a $30k limit and can carry a 0%, 24 month promotional balance without maxing the card out. 

From replacing my floors to appliances such as refrigerators, dishwashers, over the range ovens, shelves, cabinets, bathroom fixtures, mower, patio furniture, and even my awesome monster grill, have all been purchase via promotional finance with this very card.  

I don’t know the exact number but if I had to venture a guess I’d say I’ve easily pushed well over $150k through this card over the 4 or so years that I’ve had it and have been able to do all of it interest free.  I’ve purchased major appliances for my mom and grandma as gifts from there many times.  Do you know how happy a mom is when her son has purchased and had delivered the Samsung touch screen refrigerator that she was just looking at a week before Mother’s Day??  And how happy Grandma is to get the Roomba that she really wanted but doesn’t have a clue how to use?  Not to mention the ring door bells that I just picked up for both of them on Wednesday.  LOL!!   It makes them very happy which in turn makes me VERY happy.  Smiley LOL

There isn’t a VS, MC, Amex, or Discover card that I know of that would even come close to allowing me to make my house a home and not pay a cent in interest while doing it.

As you can see...I’m a huge fan of Lowe’s.   I’m the guy who knows most folks at my local Lowe’s on a first name basis.  I look for reasons to go there and if I don’t have a reason I’ll create one.  Smiley LOL   I’ve spent a many of lunch breaks at the Lowe’s across the street from my job.  Yep...I’m that guy.  LOL!   And BTW, I’m not a DIY type of person, I’ve used their contractors to get lots of things done and have been very pleased with the cost and the end result.  

I rave about Lowe’s so much that they should put me on their payroll.  

I love your love for Lowe’s @Loquat and this was a great read. Now the question is—do you own any Lowe’s stock? 😁

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 35
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Huge credit lines, discounts, 0% offers, great website...

What’s not to love?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 9 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat  Reading your post has me wanting to go Lowe’s and buy stuff. Lol 😂 

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.